The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
Awann99

Clutch alignment issues.

I’m in the middle of converting my truck to a manual. Sm465 behind a 350. I installed a new flywheel and clutch kit but even when I used the plastic alignment tool that came with the kit the clutch is still not centered to the pilot bearing. I put the bell housing on and cranked the engine over with the starter and you can see that the part of clutch that grabs the input shaft is not turning exactly smooth with the pilot bearing. It looks like it’s off by a 1/4 inch to one side. I pulled everything off and redid it and still am having an issue with it not lining up. Any tips for getting this clutch directly in the middle? This is my first clutch job. Thanks fellas
Awann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
Sheepdip

Re: Clutch alignment issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awann99 View Post
I’m in the middle of converting my truck to a manual. Sm465 behind a 350. I installed a new flywheel and clutch kit but even when I used the plastic alignment tool that came with the kit the clutch is still not centered to the pilot bearing. I put the bell housing on and cranked the engine over with the starter and you can see that the part of clutch that grabs the input shaft is not turning exactly smooth with the pilot bearing. It looks like it’s off by a 1/4 inch to one side. I pulled everything off and redid it and still am having an issue with it not lining up. Any tips for getting this clutch directly in the middle? This is my first clutch job. Thanks fellas
Just asking the obvious that comes to mind.. Does the alignment tool fit both the clutch splines and pilot bearing good and snug? Sounds like it might be drooping a bit
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #3
kwmech

What kind of tool are you using to align the disc? AND I'd be using a bushing not a china bearing. AND do have the disc facing the correct way
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #4
Awann99

I was using the plastic tool that came with the kit. The clutch was drooping a little bit when I used it. The clutch was labeled so I know I put that on right. Is there a way to align it without the tool? Do I need a different style of tool?
Old 01-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #5
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
What kind of tool are you using to align the disc? AND I'd be using a bushing not a china bearing. AND do have the disc facing the correct way
Yes I am using a bushing. I read the horror stories of China bearing so I used the bushing.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:44 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awann99 View Post
I was using the plastic tool that came with the kit. The clutch was drooping a little bit when I used it. The clutch was labeled so I know I put that on right. Is there a way to align it without the tool? Do I need a different style of tool?

Loosen the pressure plate bolts and push up on the alignment tool while you tighten the pressure plate bolts. That has always worked for me.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:46 PM   #7
kwmech

Splined tool...good. Loosen the pressure plate bolts evenly until the disc can move somewhat freely but stay in place (if that makes sense). You should be able to pull the tool in and out freely without any resistance if aligned properly. Go in a criss cross pattern tightening the bolts while making sure the tool still moves in and out. Get them down to where you can torque them to spec. If you can pack some heavy grease behind the bushing. Just for the record, the flatest side of the clutch goes towards the flywheel. I have seen discs mislabled

Last edited by kwmech; 01-24-2021 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:29 AM   #8
Accelo

With all the linkage connected you can have a friend step on the clutch while you realign the clutch plate. Saves time that way. I use an old transmission input shaft as an alignment tool. Maybe you can find or borrow one.
Best of luck.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #9
Awann99

Update. I pulled the pleasure plate off and realigned the clutch using doclocks method. The tool slid in and out with ease. Now the transmission is still about an inch from going all the way to the bell housing. I’m wiggling it while someone pushes from behind. It still will not go in. Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #10
Sheepdip

Where/what did the bellhousing come from?
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:29 PM   #11
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Where/what did the bellhousing come from?
The bell housing and transmission are from a 1972 c20 292 truck. I pulled everything out of the 72 and am putting it in my 69. The clutch/ pressure plate and flywheel are the only new parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2021, 08:33 PM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

Did you check the alignment of the bellhousing to the crankshaft? If the engine has been rebuilt it may have had the crankshaft line bored. That would move the crankshaft up and out of alignment with the bellhousing center.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:35 PM   #13
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Did you check the alignment of the bellhousing to the crankshaft? If the engine has been rebuilt it may have had the crankshaft line bored. That would move the crankshaft up and out of alignment with the bellhousing center.
I did not check this. The engine is a crate 350 from good wrench it is about three years old. If this is the issues what is the best way to remedy it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
Accelo

I have put longer bolts in and put a little pressure on them. A lot can go wrong here without any experience. Sometimes just having the longer bolts in will keep it in alignment enough to facilitate the slide in.
Best of luck.
R
Old 02-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #15
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I have put longer bolts in and put a little pressure on them. A lot can go wrong here without any experience. Sometimes just having the longer bolts in will keep it in alignment enough to facilitate the slide in.
Best of luck.
R
I will give this a shot tomorrow. Thank you. Any idea what the bolt size is?
Old 02-03-2021, 02:12 AM   #16
Accelo

If they take a 3/4" wrench they are 1/2".
I have a set of bolts I cut the heads off and slotted the ends with a hacksaw.
That way I can remove them easily.
Comes in handy when you don't have a transmission jack to hold the transmission in place.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #17
Grumpy old man

How did you install the new bronze pilot bearing ? using a hammer and socket won't work all the time it can collapse the pilot hole just enough to bind on the trans input shaft and keep it from lining up and sliding in . using a pilot bearing install tool helps prevent that problem ,Also trying multiple times to get it to slide in can peen over the pilot bearing edge just enough to prevent it from going in . You may need to install a new bronze pilot bearing .

How to remove pilot bearing using bread . https://www.google.com/search?q=remo...vctAbT67HQCw13
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 02-03-2021 at 08:57 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #18
Wrenchbender Ret

Try droping the trans. down a little. You may have it at a little angle.
If that doesn't do it make sure the linkage is hooked up & have someone press in on the pedal while you wiggle the trans in. I measured one of those plastic tools one time & it was .006 smaller then a real trans shaft.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #19
72c20customcamper

I've had problems with bronze bushings . Exact problem your having I went so far as to check the pilot shaft with a micrometer. Shure enough the bronze bushing when put into the flywheel closed up a tiny fraction. I ended up taking it out and buying a Moroso one and polishing the trans input shaft with very fine memory cloth and oil . This was on my chevelle I know a lot people dont do it but did you dial in the belhousing ?
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #20
kwmech

How are you stabbing the trans in... with a trans jack? bench pressing? When going in do you feel the input shaft grab the splines?
Old 02-03-2021, 10:14 PM   #21
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
How did you install the new bronze pilot bearing ? using a hammer and socket won't work all the time it can collapse the pilot hole just enough to bind on the trans input shaft and keep it from lining up and sliding in . using a pilot bearing install tool helps prevent that problem ,Also trying multiple times to get it to slide in can peen over the pilot bearing edge just enough to prevent it from going in . You may need to install a new bronze pilot bearing .

How to remove pilot bearing using bread . https://www.google.com/search?q=remo...vctAbT67HQCw13
The crate motor already had one installed in it that was never used. So I just used it. It looked to be the same size as the new one.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:17 PM   #22
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I've had problems with bronze bushings . Exact problem your having I went so far as to check the pilot shaft with a micrometer. Shure enough the bronze bushing when put into the flywheel closed up a tiny fraction. I ended up taking it out and buying a Moroso one and polishing the trans input shaft with very fine memory cloth and oil . This was on my chevelle I know a lot people dont do it but did you dial in the belhousing ?
I did not dial in the bell housing.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #23
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
How are you stabbing the trans in... with a trans jack? bench pressing? When going in do you feel the input shaft grab the splines?
I’m putting it in with a trans jack. I’m going to wrap a chain around it and suspend it with a boom pole off my tractor if I can’t get it in with the jack. I put the trans in gear and rotated the rear shaft while pushing it in so it would line up with the splines in the clutch. It just seems like it hit a wall and won’t go in the last inch. I think I may have it tilted at the wrong angle.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:21 PM   #24
Awann99

Also here is a picture of the pilot bushing that was already in the engine.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2021, 02:26 AM   #25
AllGoNoShow

I’ve had luck loosening the bell housing bolts slightly (even with the alignment dowels there can be some very small play in where the bell housing lines up) and using longer studs (bolts with heads cut off) on the bell housing to help guide it in.

I’ve since bought one of the billet steel alignment shafts which have zero play compared to the plastic ones. Worth the money if your going to do this more than once (or, hell, just Amazon prime it and then return it when your done).
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote