The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Cheeseman

headers/manifold search....

OK, I have scoured these posts for days and now am scratching my head even more. I have finally got my LS (5.3) in the frame and it is mounted to a set of CPP stands. When installing the set up I ended up using the rearward set of mounting holes (had to drill the bottom hole into the crossmember to facilitate this) which to my understanding is the 6 cyl motor mount holes but this allowed me to have the room up front to install the factory LS A/C compressor as well as gave me the clearance for the factory LS oil pan without making any modification to the front suspension cross member. Now that I have that all in, it is time for the headers...and now I am stuck. I have read that the trailblazer ss headers are very popular. I am cool with that but now I am seeing that there are so many options and I am uncertain what would fit since I have the motor back about 3+ inches from where a "stock" location would have been. Ideally long tube headers would be great for the ease of finishing out the exhaust, but I am wanting to keep everything up in the frame rails and not below due to how low this truck already is and that it will be going to full bags in the future. I have been looking at Hooker manifolds, some Pace Setter shorttys and there are some BBY units from JEGS that have caught my eye as well. I am concerned that any unit will have a clearance problem with the motor mounts (CPP). Any preferences out there? I am working on a budget here, as with the whole build, so a $1000 set of headers is out of the question. I am not even opposed to a set of factory type manifolds, but I just want enough clearence so that I can clear the engine mounts.

Cheese "my head hurts" Man
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Cheeseman

Re: headers/manifold search....

I also should add that this swap is in a 67 C10
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
scss02

www.schoenfeldheaders.com They are $269.00 work great
scss02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Cheeseman

any pics of them installed in this application?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The biggest fitment issue with most setups is that the position the mounts place the engine (in terms of side-to-side frame rail clearance, not front/back) with very little room for the header to "drop" before it sweeps back. In a model-t hot rod you have the engine sitting "up" on perches instead of set down between the rails...which gives them a massive amount of room to put LT's.
The challenge is finding an LT header that sweeps back more than it initially drops. The first 2 primary tubes have to take a pretty immediate turn to do this. TBSS manifolds end up working so well because the cast design eliminates the need deal with primary to mount clearance since the peice is about 1/2 the size of a set of LT's.
As mentioned above, Schoenfeld makes these
and Dough Thorley also offers a confirmed-fitting set of longtubes in 2 different primary sizes.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
not2oldchevy

Early C5 manifolds should fit good, they are cheap and stainless steel so you can cut and move the downtubes if you have to.
not2oldchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
71chevystep4x4

Hooker Block hugger shorties #2312 They dump straight down, clear mounts, and have nice thick flanges on them. I was even able to run my stock Z-bar clutch linkage with them. $240
71chevystep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
Matt Cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scss02 View Post
www.schoenfeldheaders.com They are $269.00 work great
I'm in the same boat - using six cylinder stands instead of CPP, similar limited clearance. Schoenfeld lists several LSx headers - were you using their truck headers, or one of the circle track ones?

I'm also considering BBK headers for a 2010-up Camaro. They look promising, but I'm not sure.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The guy your asking only has 4 posts and hasn't logged in since he posted that....I wouldn't hold your breath for him to answer.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote