The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
crites_72

Just starting

I am just starting a 68 chevy truck. It was my dads truck that he always had big plans for. When he passed away I got the truck. Actually i got it and a 88 mustang GT thats pretty built but needs paint. Not to bad for a 68 had some rust over the rear wheels, one spot in the firewall, on in the floor board, rust in front of the tires on the fenders,and the bottom of the doors were shot. The truck was originally a 283, 3 on the tree. The 283 dad sold a long time ago and put a 6cyl in to get by. I've now got a set of nice doors off a wrecked 69, traded a 305 for another 283 (lil older block than what i wanted its out of a 57 chevy), a 4 speed saginaw trans. and had a buddy put patch panels over the rear wheels (bad idea did a BAD job big gaps left). I'm only 22 so any tips or advice would be greatly helpful. Should have pics of it here before long. Thanks

Last edited by crites_72; 07-17-2008 at 10:01 PM.
crites_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
abadsvt

Re: Just starting

Sorry to hear about your dad!!! Take this project slow and if you are not sure how to do something, just ask. There is so much valuable information on this forum that it is almost overwellming. Also just because you are young doesn't mean you can't do a sweet job. I am only 27 and I am learned alot from talking to other people and asking questions. Anyways good luck and keep us posted!!

Josh

ps: Just playing
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

sorry to hear about your loss, i lost my dad when i was 24. Just think of him often, and apply what you learned from him to the truck, as Josh mentioned , if you run into issues post in the Forum, there is much talent here that can help you get through any stumbles on the truck..

Good Luck......

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470

Last edited by my67chevytruck; 11-12-2008 at 08:51 AM.
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Sorry about your Dad There's nothing wrong with being young, you can do anything you set your mind to. Especially with a resource as big as this one

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
68 short step

built my 68 short step when i was 22, and a few more in the past 2 years.....age doesnt matter
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
crites_72

thanks everyone. still havent got pics. if anyone might be interested in the mustang let me know.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #7
crites_72

Heres my pics finally. u can tell its been setting for a while
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Nice starting point but wow, those bedsides won't be fun. Long beds are pretty common so you might want to try and find a decent used bed so you won't have to spend so much time mudding! Keep us posted.

Don

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #9
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Good start! Welcome from NC!

That guy did good on the patch panel, but he forgot to finish welding and grind it down, filler, then paint. But he probably want a pro...

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
crites_72

yea bedsides are bad prolly will start lookin for some used ones close.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
crites_72

Well its been awhile since i've updated my build. mostly because i have been re doing my wifes camaro. lets see the other day i got some rust free doors and a nice tail gate off of a wrecked 69. man i wish the bed hadn't of been rusted bad, still need bed sides. been thinking about going shortbed, can get the frame, cab, fenders, and everything but the bed and steering column. but i cant find any thing for a bed and i dont want to go with the newer step. just not my thing. sent my new doors off to get stripped and primed along with my cowl panel. going to have all the trim and mirror holes filled. want to run the sport mirrios. the weird thing about the doors was that the glass was speckled with littile black pits all over. o well just use the glass out of my doors. got all the wiring fixed in the truck yesterday how can people cut up wires so bad, should of took a pic it was bad. but now all of the lights work, just the blinkers flash real fast. was going to go with a big block for it but that fell throught so i guess it's time to rebuild my 283. well thats about it for now. i'll get pics as soon as my doors get back. thanks for all the help on here. u guys are great!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
67-72crazy

keep going you are making real progress.I was 16 when i built my first shortbed it was a 1972 i sold it and now i wish i would have kept it.i am still looking for one now.
67-72crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
crites_72

well heres an update. i posted my my t10 4 speed out of my camaro on craigslist the other day forsale or trade. got an email a couple days later from a guy pretty close to here wanting 2 know what i wanted to trade. i told him parts for my 68 truck. well he tells me he has about 10 parked out in his field and to come look what and see what i need. as all of you can tell i need a bed. so i went down there saturday in hope of a bed. when i got there he showed me a perfect bed NO RUST EVEN IN THE FLOOR and the floor was perfectly straight! i was amazed. he showed me the rest of the trucks in case there was sumthing else i needed. when we walked out behind his house there was a yellow and white 71 or 72, he couldnt remember, with another almost perfect bed one dent behind the drivers wheel well. got to looking closer and this truck was loaded. it had cruise, air, power discs, everything i've been wanting for dad's old truck. and he told me it drove in there the only part to be taking off was the holly carb. now the truck isnt perfect. the guy before him had hit a short pole in a parking lot busted out the grill and bent the nice chrome bumper but didnt touch the radiator or even the hood. so we talk for a while and come to find out he knows my dad and has sold parts to him before he died. so i couldnt resist i had to know what he wanted for the truck. the truck for my trans and 200 dollars pending seeing my trans. so tomorrow i head about 35 or 40 miles over there with my trans. and see what kind of deal we can make. if it works i'll finally have everything i need to finish dads plus some bonuses like cruise and air. hope it works for me. the only down side is im going to have to find new wheels for the 5 hole. o well small price to pay. i'll take pics if i get it and post them tomorrow. oh and im still waiting on my doors to get back soon as they do pics of them too. thanks everyone for the advice on here.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #14
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crites_72 View Post
well heres an update. i posted my my t10 4 speed out of my camaro on craigslist the other day forsale or trade. got an email a couple days later from a guy pretty close to here wanting 2 know what i wanted to trade. i told him parts for my 68 truck. well he tells me he has about 10 parked out in his field and to come look what and see what i need. as all of you can tell i need a bed. so i went down there saturday in hope of a bed. when i got there he showed me a perfect bed NO RUST EVEN IN THE FLOOR and the floor was perfectly straight! i was amazed. he showed me the rest of the trucks in case there was sumthing else i needed. when we walked out behind his house there was a yellow and white 71 or 72, he couldnt remember, with another almost perfect bed one dent behind the drivers wheel well. got to looking closer and this truck was loaded. it had cruise, air, power discs, everything i've been wanting for dad's old truck. and he told me it drove in there the only part to be taking off was the holly carb. now the truck isnt perfect. the guy before him had hit a short pole in a parking lot busted out the grill and bent the nice chrome bumper but didnt touch the radiator or even the hood. so we talk for a while and come to find out he knows my dad and has sold parts to him before he died. so i couldnt resist i had to know what he wanted for the truck. the truck for my trans and 200 dollars pending seeing my trans. so tomorrow i head about 35 or 40 miles over there with my trans. and see what kind of deal we can make. if it works i'll finally have everything i need to finish dads plus some bonuses like cruise and air. hope it works for me. the only down side is im going to have to find new wheels for the 5 hole. o well small price to pay. i'll take pics if i get it and post them tomorrow. oh and im still waiting on my doors to get back soon as they do pics of them too. thanks everyone for the advice on here.
Crazy how things work out, huh? Best of luck on the project.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #15
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Best of luck with the project!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote