The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Wander

Front suspension swap

Here is the thing, just bought a 63 GMC suburban and want to change to the 87 style front suspension, so far so good.
But i have some 17'' 6 lug wheels i like to keep.
Like to mount dropped spindles, lower coils and the 6 lug disc's, except for the spindles and coils i like to use oem parts , any toughts on this of witch parts to use ?
The next question is witch rear axle to use, 6 lug and the correct wide.

Any help appriciated.
As living in the Netherlands i have to figure every thing out before go parts hunting.

Can i put pictures in here direct from my desktop or first create a photobucket or something ?

Wander
Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Front suspension swap

You need to look at ECE for a 6 lug disc upgrade and not the 87 front suspension.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There are a couple ways to get 6 lug disc brakes. One of the simplest would be to just purchase '73-'87 droped spindles and the springs of youe choice along with the aftermarket 6 lug rotors. Then you just change your balljoints to the '73-'87 balljoints. If you can find the parts, I would suggest changing the entire steering linkage to the '73-'87 components. This will attach to the spindles without any special adapters. However to install that newer steering linkage, you will have to drill holes for the newer idler arm. Are you converting to power steering as well? The main drawback to this is that you are locked in to using the aftermarket rotors. You can't just go down to an auto parts store and get a new one if need be.

There is another way, but there have been a couple guys report camber issues. I have not heard back on whether or not they have gotten the issue resolved. Anyway, here is a description of what is needed in this thread in post #16.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=367260

This version uses all OEM parts that can be sourced at most auto parts stores.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:19 AM   #4
Wander

Thank you Captianfab

This was the info i was looking for.
My Suburban is still in the states so my plan was to take a complete K member from a ..... with power steering, brakes and al related parts and put it in the back of the car when it ships.
Nicest thing will be a hydraboost,HD disc's and callipers, dropped spindles and coils and then up to the rear end.
Car has a V6 manual trans but it is going to get a 700r4/200r4 and mayby a V8 , never drove a GMC 6.
I will check the link when back from work ( 9 hour time difference)
I get back to you , thanks a lot.

Wander
Old 02-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Wander

Let me see if i got this straight.

I think the best way to go is the 5x5 lug swap, because i also want to change the rear axle.

So what i need is a >87 Suburban or 1/2 ton truck to get the cross member and rear axle from and buy some dropped spindles for this respective year and this makes the most easy way to convert to modern bushings,power steer, power disc brake and swaybar.

This is also standard 12'' and 1,1/4 rotor ?

Thanks again
Getting wiser bit by bit
Old 02-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that is correct. You will want a front suspension, complete steering assembly, and brake master (possibly booster), proportioning valve and rear differential from a '73-'87 C10 pickup or Suburban. There was a light duty brake option with 1" thick rotors. I would avoid those if possible. Your friend might also grab the power steering pump, brackets and hoses if they are available.

Let me know if you need a steering box adapter plate, tube and flange or brake booster/hydroboost mounting brackets
Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
Wander

Somebody is offering me the suspension from 86 Chevrolet van , is this also oke ?

Wander
Old 02-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The crossmember will not work, the lower control arm shafts are a little different. The spindles, rotors and calipers, should be the same. So some parts will work, and some not. Good news is that the van brake booster does fit my booster brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
Somebody is offering me the suspension from 86 Chevrolet van , is this also oke ?

Wander
Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
Wander

Seems it was a 1'' disc rotor version, and later i realized that van's got a complete other structure, but got a lead on a 86 suburban, have to check the dimensions this week.

I keep you in mind for the brackets, first things first

Thanks again

Wander
Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
Wander

I heard the Suburban crossmember thru 91 will fit, can someone this for me ?
Hard to find the parts overhere so it has to come from the U.S.A. in the back off the sub.

Thanks a lot

Wander
Old 02-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
Wander

Just bought the front and rear from a 1980 2wd Blazer and a hydroboost set with the aluminum mastercill. from a 94 or equal van.
5x5 wheel pattern, 1,1/4 rotors and 12 bolt 3.08 rear end.
And all here in Holland !

Happy camper right now

Like to order some brake and steering brackets Captainfab !

So this one is tackled, now i need a motor to eventually replace the V6 GMC ,
Going to run a 4L80 transmission with Compushift i have lying from a former project, but witch engine to use.

Has to be run on LPG reliable and cable operated.

Any idea's ?

Thanks
Wander