The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #51
Bigdav160

Re: Found a period camper I think I am buying!

It does look a little large from this angle

'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #52
Coley

...yep, that is one big overhead camper for sure.
Up in this area the lengths of the camper are largely stated from the cab back....so that would definitely be an 11 ft'er (or more?) around these parts.
The most popular ones are typically up to 9ft maybe 9.5 ft.
The 8 ft'ers sell pretty quick because they will often fit in a lot of modern 'short bed' trucks with a spacer frame underneath them....plus they are less weight.
all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #53
dieseldawg142

just got back from a week of enjoying our camper!
it's too bad it's not quite what you were looking for. that is most def. a 10, maybe 11 footer. old campers are not light, why people think so is beyond me, they have no lite-weight modern materials in them....most likely why you skinned yer tire...
nice thing about a camper is they can go pretty much wherever your truck can, and you can still tow. room is nowhere what you would find in a tow-behind, but that's the trade-off.
for easy resale, try to make sure the fridge and stove work. prob the 2 most important things you will need. forget the oven, as my wife says, "i'm on holidays, aint doing no dam baking!"...plus using them really heats up the inside of your unit. and in all the yrs we've had our camper, we have NEVER, ever fired the furnace, neither did the org owner, our furnace looks just like new. not to many opportunities in the summer to crank it on.....
hot water? pot of water on the stove works just fine...
and if you have a wife or girlfriend, you most definitely WILL need a toilet. good luck getting your wife to go out in the bush at midnite.....aint happening Coley!...
our crapper is pretty simple, it just goes into a holding tank, when i empty it, i hook a rhino hose to it and pull a lever, no muss, no fuss. and i also have NEVER done no.2 in ours since we bought it, if a bear can s**t in the woods, so can i...but i still have to empty it...
keep the tank vent clear and throw some "muffin monster" chemicals in it and there is practically no stink
notice a bunch of your running lites are out. if changing the bulb does'nt do it, check the grounds, almost all mine that did'nt work when i bought it was cause of bad grounds.
dont let one bigger than you thought experiance turn you off, campers are fun and easy to get out with. maybe find something a little smaller. mines just an 8 footer, but we're pretty simple and dont need every bell and whistle in the bush. be aware though, a lot of 8 footers dont have a toilet (the space thing again) and if they do, there usually a little on the tight side (like mine...)
eights are great if your going off road, no overhang behind ya and relativity easy to fit threw/under/around trees. if pavement bound, i would look for at least a 9-10 footer
good luck with the sale!
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #54
dieseldawg142

one other thing, if your having roof problems on older camper (usually a sheet or 2 of alum) try this product
http://soprema.us/products/waterproo...o-flash/25105/

have been in the roofing industry for 35 yrs and counting. seen a lot of hokey, black magic, spray/paint this carp on your roof and it will last forever.
trust me, no such thing, till a few yrs ago when Soprema came out with this.
you use a fleece scrim around details (stacks, flashings, vents,etc) and brush or roll this one on.
it truly is a single coat done forever, indestructable roof coating (well prob 15-20yrs, maybe longer, we will find out...lol)
a lot of gov jobs up here spec it on roof details now, we have had great success with it, we actually did a "floating " roof over a giant poop tank at the sewage plant with it so they can pressure wash the s**t out of it and not hurt the torch-on membrane underneath.

only drawback, super expensive, the can pictured is around $6-700 bucks, they do come smaller though, and you can only get it at a dedicated roof supplier, you are'nt going to run down to Lowes and pick some up...(yet)
Old 07-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #55
Coley

Smile Re: Found a period camper I think I am buying!

....ha, dieseldawg.....we agree to disagree on the toilet!!....lol.
Cleaning that thing should be a 'family affair'....right in line with when the wife says unless everyone takes their shoes off they can help clean all the floors and the bathroom!!
Its simple re-training to get the ladies to stop clinging to household habits...lol, not all unlike the ladies getting the men to give up 'shop' habits...lol.
After having to clean that out a few times....its amazing the motivation to use the local pit toilet.

That said, I'll try to find and post up some pictures of my last camper (8ft'er)....nice, simple little camper and it brought some great camping!

all Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:38 PM   #56
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Cleaning that thing should be a 'family affair'....right in line with when the wife says unless everyone takes their shoes off they can help clean all the floors and the bathroom!!
Its simple re-training to get the ladies to stop clinging to household habits...lol, not all unlike the ladies getting the men to give up 'shop' habits...lol.
After having to clean that out a few times....its amazing the motivation to use the local pit toilet.

That said, I'll try to find and post up some pictures of my last camper (8ft'er)....nice, simple little camper and it brought some great camping!

all Good
Coley
Your'e my hero!
Original Owner

** Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?**
ApacheIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #57
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post

all Good
Coley
good theory and i do agree to it to an extent, but.....and it's a big but, i cant cook worth a crap (literally) i can make toast, or boil water, and that's about it. in 26 yrs wifey has pretty much put every single piece of food down my gullet...lol and i like to stay eating.... in fact i got to go dump the tank tonite from our trip....meanwhile my wife is at the butchers getting chops..mmmmm, good trade
and i find it not too bad. like i said, hook a hose and pull a lever, never even have to look at it (whew) then open the toilet and just give it a rinse spray. i see it as a small price to stay alive....(fed)
one good thing about wife is if there is a bathroom or pit toilet available, she will use that first, just not in the middle of the nite, she hears animals around, weird noises, spooky shadows, you know, girl stuff....lol
Old 06-30-2021, 03:56 AM   #58
lil hoodlum

Subscribed
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote