The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #1
Big Block
Big Block

AC options. Looking for the best operation AC unit.

Looking at different options. Have factory AC that hasn't worked for over 20 years. The system is intact. I'm not sure if it's worth the time and money to try to get the old system up and running. We're having one of those summers. Super high humility and temps in the high 90's every day. Don't want to drive anything that doesn't have AC. I was talking to a co-worker who said beware of the gen 4 Vintage Air unit. He said they're having trouble with electronic solenoid. Has anyone experienced that with a gen 4 Vintage Air unit? That's why I have been looking at other options. The stock cables and factory style site glass would seem more reliable than electronics. But like I said this is all new to me.*The Old Air Hurricane unit uses factory AC controls and uses the original ductwork, also has the site glass. Any help is appreciated. Just weighing my options. I don't want to waste time and money on a AC unit that's not going to work in high humility and temps. Thanks
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
72MARIO

Re: AC options. Looking for the best operation AC unit.

I used the old air kit. It is the worst thing I have ever done to my suburban.

If you turn the heat on after the ac has been on the entire inside of the suburban fills with condensation. I have talked with tech support and never got any further than its not draining.. I have confirmed the drain tube is clear and had good slope to drain.

The other thing you may not realize is with factory heat and ac you can run down the road on a cool morning with the heat lever over at hot and the cab gets warn without fan speed. all the new under dash units eliminate the fresh air intake and require fan speed to heat/cool cab.

I have well over $1500 Canadian into my ac if it costed $2500 for factory I wish I would have fixed it.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
RMBLFSH

I am very happy with my VA unit. Straight forward install and cold air. No problems thus far.
(Two Arizona summers)
RMBLFSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
MARKDTN

If it was me, I would fix what you have and use R12.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: AC options. Looking for the best operation AC unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block View Post
Looking at different options. Have factory AC that hasn't worked for over 20 years. The system is intact. I'm not sure if it's worth the time and money to try to get the old system up and running. We're having one of those summers. Super high humility and temps in the high 90's every day. Don't want to drive anything that doesn't have AC. I was talking to a co-worker who said beware of the gen 4 Vintage Air unit. He said they're having trouble with electronic solenoid. Has anyone experienced that with a gen 4 Vintage Air unit? That's why I have been looking at other options. The stock cables and factory style site glass would seem more reliable than electronics. But like I said this is all new to me.*The Old Air Hurricane unit uses factory AC controls and uses the original ductwork, also has the site glass. Any help is appreciated. Just weighing my options. I don't want to waste time and money on a AC unit that's not going to work in high humility and temps. Thanks
If everything is there stick with it. Use it. It will be way cheaper than buy all new stuff. Just take it to a good AC guy and he should have it going in no time with either freon you choose.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 AM   #6
Big Block
Big Block

Thanks guys for the advice. I think I'll replace some of the obvious parts that need to be changed. Dryer, compressor and POA for sure. I already have a compressor and condenser coil that a friend didn't end up using in his project. So I'm going to flush out the evaporator coil and the rest of the lines. Pull a vacuum and see what happens. If anyone can think of anything else don't hesitate to chime in. This is going to be my first attempt at AC work.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
hdff

Quote:
Thanks guys for the advice. I think I'll replace some of the obvious parts that need to be changed. Dryer, compressor and POA for sure. I already have a compressor and condenser coil that a friend didn't end up using in his project. So I'm going to flush out the evaporator coil and the rest of the lines. Pull a vacuum and see what happens. If anyone can think of anything else don't hesitate to chime in. This is going to be my first attempt at AC work.
I did my 1st attempt ac work last year, refurbished my factory and had good results, F.A.A Benny has good info and can help you out. He refurbished my evaporator box and it looks great. Here's a before and after pic. Be sure the compressor is good. Mine held a vacuum but it isn't cooling like it should and the front seal is slinging oil now..It was a refurbished a6. I kept putting it off thinking I was probably gonna get in over my head but when it was all complete I kicked myself in the ass for waiting so long. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.....
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by hdff; 07-28-2017 at 01:14 PM.
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
Big Block
Big Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
I did my 1st attempt ac work last year, refurbished my factory and had good results, F.A.A Benny has good info and can help you out. He refurbished my evaporator box and it looks great. Here's a before and after pic. Be sure the compressor is good. Mine held a vacuum but it isn't cooling like it should and the front seal is slinging oil now..It was a refurbished a6. I kept putting it off thinking I was probably gonna get in over my head but when it was all complete I kicked myself in the ass for waiting so long. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.....
Thanks for the reply. Under the hood looks great.
Did you upgrade the POA valve to 134 or did you stay with R12?
Old 07-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #9
hdff

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Under the hood looks great.
Did you upgrade the POA valve to 134 or did you stay with R12?
I stayed with r12. faa benny can help you out if you wanna change the poa to 134

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:20 AM   #10
Z10

Using Vintage Air in my 72. Here's a recent screen shot of my phone, which tells the story. The temp at the center vent was 42 degrees and I was cool.
Attached Images

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote