The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2008, 03:51 AM   #51
bhoeger70

Re: 67 gmc-project ball to the walls

If I may say I hope you dont plan on running a saginaw four speed behind a good running 327. I think it will only live untill you get the tires to hook up, if you just want to cruise it will be fine but a saginaw is not known for being the strongest trans. if you can find a muncie m20 or a low first gear t10of course they cost quite a bit but they are worth it.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #52
mcc-bri

the plan is to run the saginaw untill i find somthing better and have the money to pay for it. If i blow the saginaw up i blow it up.

I dont plan on just cruising, if that was the case i would have left the 305 that came with the truck in it.
mcc-bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #53
mcc-bri

Well i started body working the inside of my bedsides after supper but it is now 2 a.m. and i am out of filler so i will start again tommorow. Havnt decided when im going to draw the line for the insides of the box but i think one more day of sanding and they will be acceptable.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2008, 02:29 AM   #54
samwise68
FarmBoy.

lookin' good, as always. nothing tests a person's patience more than an 8 foot bed side for body work.

what kind of filler are you using?

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 AM   #55
mcc-bri

That is true, the outside of the bed is much worse and will require a lot of hours sanding to get them good. I am using some no name light weight filler from my local body shop but now that im out of it i will switch over to the good stuff, i ordered napas vertion of evercoats rage gold. same stuff but is called napa body gold. my shop teacher is using it on his 61 pontiac that he is geting ready for paint and it looks like nice stuff.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 AM   #56
mcc-bri

i dont think i mentioned this before but the decition has been made. By the week of April the 14th my truck will get sprayed in sealer. It will be sprayed weather body work is done or not and i would say that it will be close but not done. I am doing this so that i have enough time to do all the mechanical stuff on my truck, get it saftied and on the road for the summer. This will also give the primer and filler all summer to shrink and dry out so that in the fall and next winter with some more body work it will be straight as an arrow and ready for paint.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 AM   #57
bhoeger70

sorry about the question on the saginaw just dont hurt yourself when you break it. Want to take bets on how many runs it will live for? you could do a pool with video.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #58
mcc-bri

I am prepared to have it break on me and i dont think it it will last the first week but i paid very little for it so not a big deal.

here is a pic of my ged back together and up on saw horses ready for some metal prep and then lots of sanding and filler.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #59
mcc-bri

Well havnt been around much due to being busy and turning 18 last week which is the leagal drinking age here so instead of giviner on the truck i have been giviner on the beer. Well the progresse is this- I have the truck bed togethere with the good box front on and i have started putting my plywood floor in and and i just need another sheet since the peice i already had was a foot shorter then i thought. I have put my terrible tailgate on just to hold the bed together and i am putting my new wheel tubs in. Once i am done this i will start bodyworking the bedsides. At school on the rest of the truck i am still doing lots of body work and still have a lot to go but i am only giving myself next week to get it as good as i can and then the week after that i will spray it in sealer and move on to putting the truck togethere. The truck will stay in sealer all summer and hopfully next winter i can continue on bodywork and hopfully paint it.

here are some pics of the bed.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #60
mcc-bri

Well after work i started cutting away at my bed and got my new peice all welded in and ready for some grinding. This bed side was really bad and had some oil canning problems and cutting out the old peice took care of some of it but i still in the end had to take the tourch and shrink some metal. anyways here are the pics from the night and i will hopfully have many more from tommorow and sunday.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #61
mcc-bri

today i finished up with that bed peice and did 2 other patches i had it do. now my bed is ready for some dent pulling and grinding tommorow and hopfully i can start putting filler on by the end of the day.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #62
mcc-bri

one more
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2008, 04:03 AM   #63
samwise68
FarmBoy.

lookin' good man!

it looks like you got the sheet metal welding technique down pat.

I may just have to give it another try on a different bed side myself, to see if I can improve.

aside from that...

can't wait to see it together and tearing up the streets man. that 327 should scoot!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 04-08-2008, 08:18 AM   #64
mcc-bri

Well i got some more work done today, i didnt quite get to lying some filler down but i am close. I re did a marker lite patch that the PO did a bed job on and it looked like he had brazed it or somthing so it had to go. after that i went out and got some more plywood and finished my bed floor (this floor is only so i can get the truck done, it wont be permanent). Now the floor, wheel tubs and 3 cross sills are in. I then continued sanding untill i felt the metal was bare enough for the metal prep. I had to let the one bedside sit with metal prep on it for 2 hours until i was happy that it had done its job. Now my bed sits with a very thin coat of wash primer on it and the bed is ready for some more dent pulling and pounding andf then the filler will start flying.

Sam-My sheet metal welding is getting better with every patch but still not perfect. My marker lite patch i did today actually turned out great. By the end of the month my engine should be in and running and we will all get to hear what it sounds like.

here are some pics for the day.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #65
mcc-bri

Well it is now the 14th of april and like i said i would primer and sealer will be flying this week. Im giviner all wednesday with body work and then wednesday night i will spray high build. Then will start board sanding and glazinf thursday morning and then i have all friday to board sand and glaze and then friday night im spraying sealer with a tint of green in it. i will post pics as the week progresses and hopfully all goes to plan.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM   #66
mcc-bri

Well spraying some primer tommorow hopfully, i was seam sealing today and doing more body work.

Here is a picture of the back of my cab, the start of body work on my bed and my motor as it sits now.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #67
samwise68
FarmBoy.

lookin' good as always man...you're really givin' 'er hell to get it ready for summer cruising, eh?

And...I have to ask...

...is the 327 ready to fire?

is it? huh? huh?

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #68
mcc-bri

well today i put in almost 14 hours getting my truck ready for primer and then masking preping and priming. I have to say the truck actually looks alright in primer with a few areas to touch up with some glaze. i wasnt able to take a pic of the truck in primer since i was in a panic to get out of the shop on time so i will take one tommorow. here are some pics of the before primer truck.

sam-im counting the days till school is over and when my truck gets kicked out of the school shop so im giviner all i got to get it to the paint where i can drive it out of the shop. hopfuly by the end of the month i can fire the 327 up.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2008, 05:35 AM   #69
mcc-bri

Well i got to look over the truck this morning and i have to say that it looks great. there are a few areas i need to glaze but it should turn out really well. i have already started marking places to be glazed by scuffing the primer in thoues spots. I will get a couple hours tommorow to board sand and glaze and then if i get it done it will sit till next friday and i will do other things next week but if it needs more work i will do more body work over the deadline i had set. anyways here are the pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2008, 02:52 AM   #70
mcc-bri

well the block sanding is now 75% done. I also picked up some ignition stuff today and ordered pullys for my motor so i hope to drop it in next week. I will post pics of the truck in the block sanding stages later
Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #71
mcc-bri

well i dint get the body work i wanted to get done today done due to leaving my hardner for my body filler at the school but i did got stuff done. I went out and got some bondo brand hardner and some dupli-colors vynil/fabric dye. I cut the headrest off one of my seats and sprayed it with the dye to see how it would work and it looks great so i will have to get another can or two and do the other seat. as far as the bondo brand hardner is conserned it sucks, it actually makes the napa body gold filler not as good but i will use it for the weekend so i can get some body work done. The other day i also dissasembled my saginaw and am waiting for a rebuild kit to put it back togethere so that it will be ready for some abuse. anyways here are pics of the seats side by side and how my passenger bed side looks like and i also included a pic of the paint i will tint my sealer with.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #72
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

tranny? what tranny?
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 AM   #73
mcc-bri

Here is a pic of both seats finished
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2008, 02:37 AM   #74
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Looks good...

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #75
David Flores

what are those seats from?