The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
ddc456

Need Opinions-good idea or bad idea

i have found a decent 1968 C10 long bed that has been professional cut down to a short bed with relocated cab mounts etc. it also has had the "C" notch done as well. What are your guys thoughts on buying something like this? I'd like to find an original short bed, but this one has a bunch of mods already done. It would cost me a boat load to do what this truck already has done. I'm just undecided on buying a long bed that has been cut down. Thoughts???? experiences???
ddc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Need Opinions-good idea or bad idea

If it's done well, why not?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
Coley

As truckster....if its well done.....
So you need to determine if its been correctly done and if you are dealing with a fairly straight final product.
I'm not sure what the pitfalls are of this type of major modification but they might include...bad wheel/axle alignment? frame mis-alignment or structural weakness, etc? driveshaft or driveline problems?...steering/tracking/braking problems?...
I definitely wouldn't be swayed my updated paint, wheels and chrome tho'....I would want to know the basic truck is correct and done well.
Regardless, maybe the guys that know more about it can weigh in.

Also...I don't think I would pay full market price for a 'cut-down' version under most circumstances so that might be something to consider.

Good luck tho' and keep us posted.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
jocko

If it's going to cost the proverbial boatload and you're still considering it, why not just keep on the hunt for an original swb truck?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
ddc456

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
If it's going to cost the proverbial boatload and you're still considering it, why not just keep on the hunt for an original swb truck?
sorry i think i should have been more clear......If i were to purchase an original SWB and do the mods that this other one already has complete, it would cost me a ton of money to get it up to that point.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
panhead59

I don't know why the cab mounts would be altered. The cab doesn't have anything to do with the bed length. It's just the rear of the frame that's longer, I believe. Could be wrong though. If it were for a good price, I say why not also. It is what it is.....
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
FRCvette

I agree with most everyone else that if it was done correctly I would not have a problem with it at all.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Shinysideup

Originality is WAY over-rated IMO. I dont care one bit if truck didnt come with a big block as long as it has one now for instance. Lets just let the vette crowd argue over this trivia and enjoy how you want it done.
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
Daves70

If your plan is to C notch and cut the frame anyway then the originality is lost any way. I wouldn't hesitate buying that truck if a modified truck is what you want.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
ddc456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves70 View Post
If your plan is to C notch and cut the frame anyway then the originality is lost any way. I wouldn't hesitate buying that truck if a modified truck is what you want.
all of you guys very valid points. I'm looking to modify a truck anyway, so what difference does it make, you're all right. thanks guys for the feed back and input.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #11
tutone

Its common practice any more. There are more swb lovers than swb trucks it looks like. I've cut mine down and drive the wheels off of it, and yes you can look under it and see the relocated rear cab mount and I don't try to hide the fact that it started life as a lwb. You know it up front and you know to look for weld cracks and dog tracking, although most likely, it took a skilled craftsman to do what they did to your prospective truck, and its likely done correctly. You save a few hundred and I would say keep looking, you save thousands, that's a different story.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #12
sprint_9

I say go for it, I cut my lwb down and really see no issues with it.

Just make sure they have a good weld on the joint, that its plated, and everything is square.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Depends on if price is less than an original shortbed. I don't care how you look at it, something that has been cut up and welded back together is not worth as much as one that hasn't. Especially when the reason the thing was cut up and welded back together was to alter it into what the uncut one is. And in the case of truck frames, what it's titled as.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #14
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves70 View Post
this.

If you want a stock stepside, then dont buy this one, but if your plans are in line with what was done, dont walk just because the title says longbed...
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #15
66clow

Mine was done correctly and have no issues. Can't tell the difference from a true shortbed. Only I know and everyone that reads this. I couldn't find or afford what I was looking for at the time.
Attached Images

66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #16
dubds10
Stalker Nate

You can always tell by the trucks SPID, frame modifications, bedside wheel wells are different, stake pockets... If the cut down LWB is a fraction of a true SWB then it's OK if do e right, but most guys wont pay full price for LWB cut down. Especially out here in the PNW where you are. There are a ton of lwb to swb truck up here for sale as they just don't sell fast or for much.

If you want a fully modified truck then who cares as long as everything was done correctly.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:35 AM   #17
tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
You can always tell by the trucks SPID, frame modifications, bedside wheel wells are different, stake pockets... If the cut down LWB is a fraction of a true SWB then it's OK if do e right, but most guys wont pay full price for LWB cut down. Especially out here in the PNW where you are. There are a ton of lwb to swb truck up here for sale as they just don't sell fast or for much.

If you want a fully modified truck then who cares as long as everything was done correctly.
67 beds don't have the scalloped front edge and it takes less than an hour to remove and weld up a stake pocket, [check my build thread]. I've been building hot rods for over 35 years and have seen the market change many times. For what it's worth, 15 years ago 90% of our trucks could be had for 1500 bucks or less. It is nothing more than a simple case of supply and demand. Look at fiberglass replicas of old Fords. At first, they brought about half of the price of a real steel one, and now they are much closer. I think you will see the shift in the market to where a cut down lwb, done right of course, will make very little difference in price than a swb that may or may not be modified. A true all original truck may one day be the holy grail.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #18
SuperChief

As you can see...I ain't waitin' for the right one to come along. Life's too short, make a Rat Rod there a are a llot more 'comments' on Rats then there are restos which the kids will just sell anyway. I tell everyone the tail kept dragging at the strip when I pulled wheelies.
Attached Images

SuperChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #19
fecklessgadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
As you can see...I ain't waitin' for the right one to come along. Life's too short, make a Rat Rod there a are a llot more 'comments' on Rats then there are restos which the kids will just sell anyway. I tell everyone the tail kept dragging at the strip when I pulled wheelies.
Well, that's one way to do it.

2014 GMC Terrain I4 (wife's new ride)
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 (wife's old ride)
2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 Extended Cab
1972 Chevy Cheyenne 350
fecklessgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote