The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
AllGoNoShow

Steering wheel not sitting flush against collar..

Took apart my steering column and replaced the bearings and turn signal switch. Went to put it back together and noticed that the steering wheel does not sit flush against the collar (see picture below). This is a 68 non-tilt, floor shift, column with the one piece long steering shaft. Went back and looked at pictures and this was how it was before but I didn't notice it (only had it for a few weeks before I tore it all apart).

Steering column is pulled forward (into the cab) as much as it can be in relation to the steering shaft (it can't go up any higher and still have the long rectangle hole in the column fit in that top "tang" of the bracket under the dash). Turn signal switch and the metal support beneath it are all tightened up as much as possible, and even if the steering wheel could come down another 1/4 inch to get everything flush, the width of the canceling cam would prevent it from doing so.

So I guess my question is, is this just normal 55 year old GM manufacturing tolerances or is there something else I should be looking at? Its like the steering shaft is 1/4 too long.

Nick
Attached Images

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-28-2020 at 06:00 PM.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
71gmcC15

Re: Steering wheel not sitting flush against collar..

Mine looks just like that. My 71 with a 67 steering wheel.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
notsolo

Not sure on a 68, but the collar under the hood where the bearing is, at the bottom of the tube.....all tight and correct?
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:23 PM   #4
ThreeQuarter

I had the same problem, here’s my thread about it

Your situation doesn’t have the circumstances as mine, but even if you just replaced the old rag joint with a thick new one I could see this happening.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #5
AllGoNoShow

Appreciate the replies. It was bugging me and so I took everything apart and took a hard look at it-problem was the metal mounting plate/bracket for the turn signal switch. The metal plate has a grove in the back of it with two spots for corresponding notches on the end of the actual steering column (different then the three "nubs" for securing the turn signal switch collar on). It only fits on and "locks" against (and slightly recessed into) the end of the column one way.

The end of the steering column must have been slightly deformed from being a perfect circle and so it wasn't sitting properly in the groove for the metal backing plate-so the whole plate and, subsequently, the turn signal switch was sitting higher then it should have been. I was able to use some force while applying pressure to the column to get it to fit in. Gap ended up closing up more than half of what you see above.

I actually also bought an aftermarket turn signal canceling cam from Classic Parts-it was thinner then what I assume was the stock one in my column. So it would have closed the gap even more-but after playing with it, I was concerned it was too thin and it looked like the back would scrape against the head of the turn signal lever screw-and ground the horn in the process. I had already taken this stupid column apart and steering wheel off about 4-5 times so I just went with the stock one cause I know that wouldn't have a problem!
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:25 PM   #6
ThreeQuarter

Glad you got it worked out!
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote