The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2020, 12:24 AM   #1
kelz702

Shocked by Hei Distributor

Hello All! Hope everyone is well and safe. Earlier today I was attempting to set the timing on my HEI Distributor. The Distributor has an Accel In-cap Super Coil. I grabbed the distributor by the top to adjust the timing and got a pretty good shock! This was my first tim trying to adjust the timing. Is it normal to get shocked if you grab a HEI distributor by the top? Maybe it's not grounded or hooked up correctly? Any advise would be appreciated!
kelz702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Shocked by Hei Distributor

Yep, had that happen numerous times over the years. Electricity takes the path of least resistance every time. I may still have the scar on the back of my head from that exact thing happening to me on my 1947 KB 5 International I drove in high school.
How old are your plug wires? As the wires age the insulation breaks down. Eventually they will get bad enough to start cross firing or jumping to ground. If it is dark you will see sparks coming off the wires.
If you touch a bad spot on a plug wire, and a good ground on the vehicle, your body could be less resistant to the flow of electrons than the plug wire connecting the spark plug and it's plug gap to ground.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
kelz702

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
How old are your plug wires? As the wires age the insulation breaks down. Eventually they will get bad enough to start cross firing or jumping to ground. If it is dark you will see sparks coming off the wires.
If you touch a bad spot on a plug wire, and a good ground on the vehicle, your body could be less resistant to the flow of electrons than the plug wire connecting the spark plug and it's plug gap to ground.
Haha! It scared the crap out of me! The plug wires are probably 5 years old or so but I haven't put many miles on the truck sense they were installed. They look like they are in good shape but the insulation could be breaking down. It's very dry here in the desert. I guess I can fire up the truck tonight and see if I can spot any sparks.
kelz702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
toolboxchev

I have been using an Accel Super Coil for over 14 years, have not had that happen.

I would suggest to do the plug wires as soon as possible. Most likely the cause.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Pop the wires off the cap one at a time and make sure that the clips on the wire are connecting to the cap electrodes. Do you have the locking ring that holds the wires down installed? Some people (including me) usually leave them off and the wires can pop loose if jostled enough.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
hugger6933

Yeah with old wires it is a given grab the lower next time but I bet you have figured that out. Last time I got bit it was with a MSD and a 6AL with blaster coil They hold spark like23 degrees of crank rotation. We are talking Christmas tree type light up.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote