The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
68Blu

Buddy buckets not cutting it

I’ve looked through old posts and noticed some of you have used Silverado, Tahoe, Sierra, Escalade seats but has anyone tried seats from a Cadillac CTS V? These buddy buckets are killing me. My 1979 Civic had more comfortable seats in it.
68Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
StingRay

Re: Buddy buckets not cutting it

Don't pick one with integrated belts. The floor can't handle the forces in a crash.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:54 PM   #3
Wobpb377

I have a rear 60/40 out of a super duty to swap in eventually. I am waiting for the seat belts to do the swap. I will have to trim the seat frame down some and then drill new holes to secure it.
The first photo is my seat and the second is the inspiration. The good thing about these seats is the leather. They are from a King Ranch and different quality of leather. It has a natural look and will gives more of a worn/distressed look.
Attached Images

Wobpb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:12 AM   #4
68Blu

StingRay, I read a few posts here where seats with intergraded belts were used. But the floor had been re-enforced at the bolt in points. Has something changed? The fixed factory mounting location for shoulder belts causes them to cut into our necks. The high location also makes them hard to use for my disabled husband. I’m open to alternative suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Nothing has changed. I'm sure if Sting Ray went on with his reply he would have added "unless you reinforce the floor at mounting points". The biggest issue I've seem with using newer more plush seats is their bulk taking up precious interior space. I think that's why the cloth 60/40s from 88-94 are so popular. You get comfort in a very slim backed seat.

I have buddy buckets that were already done when I bought them. The backs are contoured very nicely and are very comfortable. They have the '68 look, but more what the factory pattern wished it was. The bolsters, I believe, are more pronounced and the seating surface is roll & pleated. So they have the factory look only nicer and the comfort is awesome. When the seller dropped the seat off at my spaces I sat on it and about melted into it. I was a bit weary from standing and selling on a hot August day, but anything that makes me feel that good that fast is fantastic!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
StingRay

Well just plain old factory buckets in these trucks require significant reinforcement like the factory did. Integrated belt seats would require more. The loads induced into the front mounting points in a forward collision will try to punch the seat and you through the floor. And it will likely succeed. The stock floor was ever only designed to resist the forces imposed by the weight of the seat and the energy created by the collision. You turn the seat into a big pry bar when you pull forward on the seat with a seat belt that you are now connected to. Significant engineering and destructive testing goes into an integrated belt seat installation. There are factory mounting points for 3 point restraints in our trucks. They are designed to carry the load of you and the seat mounting points keep it attached to the floor not it and your bodies.

One of my functions where I work is seat and seat belt installation designs. I also oversee the destructive testing that is performed on those designs. I know enough to actually accomplish some kind of install not likely to get somebody injured or worse but knowing what I know I'd never do it in one of these trucks. There are too many other good options out there. If you do it keep your family and friends out of the passengers seat please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Blu View Post
StingRay, I read a few posts here where seats with integrated belts were used. But the floor had been re-enforced at the bolt in points. Has something changed? The fixed factory mounting location for shoulder belts causes them to cut into our necks. The high location also makes them hard to use for my disabled husband. I’m open to alternative suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-28-2020, 11:09 PM   #7
68Blu

StingRay, thank you for the explanation. I’ve been looking for alternatives to the 3 point harness we have installed. They are uncomfortable because the mounting point is so high and are “sticky.” We try to pull them for buckling and they immediately lock up. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve tried searching the web for options but the choices are limited to color. I’m new to these trucks and rely on the info I find here (I search the site before posting so most questions are answered without having to post). Thank you everyone!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:16 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
StingRay, thank you for the explanation. I’ve been looking for alternatives to the 3 point harness we have installed. They are uncomfortable because the mounting point is so high and are “sticky.” We try to pull them for buckling and they immediately lock up. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve tried searching the web for options but the choices are limited to color. I’m new to these trucks and rely on the info I find here (I search the site before posting so most questions are answered without having to post). Thank you everyone!

The 3 point belts in my Panel Truck lock up really easy. I have found that if we pull them out really slow it helps alleviate the problem. I don't know if they still make the lambs wool covers for the shoulder part of the belt or not but they help if the belt is rubbing on the side of your neck.

I guess they do. Here are a few examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...tive/318324011

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-29-2020 at 08:04 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #9
Jim Boy

Smile Re: Buddy buckets not cutting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Don't pick one with integrated belts. The floor can't handle the forces in a crash.
I'm in the process of converting to buckets "but now?" Think I'll go fishing and sort it out in my mind as to what road to go down. Thanks for the post. Stuff like this is important. Have a good one.
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
StingRay

Gee there are a lot of 67-72 guys and gals that have installed 3 point restraints. I wonder how common an issue it is. The stock mounting point was for a shoulder harness and they were available. The geometry should be pretty close for the stock belt as it is for an aftermarket 3 point. There is not much to the upper mounting point. You could plug it with a stock hole plug and install a new point using an oval washer as a backer a bit lower lower on the pillar. PM me if you'd like more info.

Quote:
Attached Images