The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
HOB

Steering issues

I have never liked the way my '88 Silverado, 2 wheel drive, stepside, steers. It feels "dead". My wife hates the way it drives too. My question is, has anyone put a rack and pinion on these trucks? If so, which rack did you use, etc. Or, have you changed out the steering gear and what were the results?

Thanks to all,

HOB
Attached Images

HOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
Stormin08

Re: Steering issues

what all is done suspension wise ?

What are your alignment specs ?

my 89 on Air and dropped spindles steers great. it goes the minute the wheel moves.
Attached Images

Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

R&P's have issues with the stock frame/subframe whatever.

Change your rag joint in the column, replace the steering box [I had to go redhead to get one worth using] and make sure all the tie rods etc are good to go. Should steer just fine.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
sntrym95

I did all the ball joints, tie rods, bushings, etc. (with good parts), then replaced the box with a Redhead, and did the Jeep shaft conversion on mine. It's more precise than when these things were new.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Kudzupatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOB View Post
I have never liked the way my '88 Silverado, 2 wheel drive, stepside, steers. It feels "dead".
Have no idea what that means. Best anyone anyone can do is just throw out wild guess without more information as to what that means, can't answer intelligently.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
HOB

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I ordered a Cardone remanned steering gear and will get a new rag joint. Is there a difference in a Redhead gearbox? Also, truck has been lowered all its life and now has 2" lower A arms, 1" springs; rear custom leaf, notched frame. Recent alignment at shop known for hot rod alignments.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

Yes, redhead has quality control everything mass produces does not. Most people have not had good luck with rebuilds by A1, ac delco etc. so don't be surprised if you install it and its not any better. There are no hard parts to replace worn stuff in the box, so either you custom machine parts or [like the mass produced guys] you put new seals and just adjust best as you can.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
sntrym95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOB View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I ordered a Cardone remanned steering gear and will get a new rag joint. Is there a difference in a Redhead gearbox? Also, truck has been lowered all its life and now has 2" lower A arms, 1" springs; rear custom leaf, notched frame. Recent alignment at shop known for hot rod alignments.
I went through a few of the Cardones and other brands and settled on the Redhead. Their rebuild process is very precise and worth every penny. Blue-Top is another good one, it was started in the Midwest by someone who worked for Redhead.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Kudzupatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sntrym95 View Post
I went through a few of the Cardones and other brands and settled on the Redhead. Their rebuild process is very precise and worth every penny.
Agreed. New box and rag joint and it is steering is as tight as new.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

I replaced the intermediate shaft on my truck, which comes with a new riveted rag joint, and it resolved 80% of the looseness and play in my '98. Mind you: My truck has less than 100k miles on the clock, so it's not like I've driven it to death, I was surprised that's what the majority of the problem was, not the gearbox. I guess time had just taken its toll.

Thread about the replacement is here, it's a massive improvement and was easier than hammering out and bolting in a new ragjoint, albeit more expensive: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=788788

That said, I've been hovering over buying a quicker-ratio Redhead gearbox to eke that last 20% out and get tight-tight steering again. I just honestly don't have the time, patience or confidence to install the new box right now or it'd already be bought and done. I don't have anyone currently I trust to do the work for me. I miss the days when I had more time than money. Now I'm stuck with no time and barely any more money than when I had all the time in the world.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:38 AM   #11
HOB

Cool Re: Steering issues

Thanks for all the ideas gentlemen. I installed the gear box and rag joint, only to find the pump worn out. Imagine that, with only 250,000 miles! It never made a sound like it was going out though. This truck has NEVER steered this well before. But, I've had the truck since '90 and 30,000 miles, and it always steered harder than what I would call normal for power steering. It'll make countersteering during burnouts way easier!

Thanks again. Hey, I get Street Trucks magazine, and this month, there's an article about the '88-'98's coming back in popularity, after we started this whole "sport truck" thing back when. New parts to be on market for us too. What old is new again...