The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
jkk

4l60 trans fluid type

Hey,
Guys just picked up a 97 1500 with a 4L6O trans with just under 20000 miles on it wanting to do a filter change on it what type of trans fluid is recommend for this trans with this mileage

Thanks for any info
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: 4l60 trans fluid type

Dexron 3 was recommended, but no longer made. You'll probably need to run Dexron 6 (VI). If the tranny is not goofing up and you don't know the history, changing the fluid on one with that many miles may have it start to act up. I have been numerous times told not to change unless it fails as it may cause more issues. I am no expert for sure, but have followed that rule myself.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
jkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Dexron 3 was recommended, but no longer made. You'll probably need to run Dexron 6 (VI). If the tranny is not goofing up and you don't know the history, changing the fluid on one with that many miles may have it start to act up. I have been numerous times told not to change unless it fails as it may cause more issues. I am no expert for sure, but have followed that rule myself.
Thanks yes I’ve heard that before wonder why that is ?
Old 08-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Tranny fluid is a super cleaner. The new fluid will clean up things which may be all that is holding things together. Least that was the simple explanation.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
speedygonzales

Only Amsoil

After I did my first oil and filter change (bought new) I used Amsoil ATF. I've never done anything to the tranny in 270K miles other than filter and oil. I have even towed way more than I should have. I'm still on the original tranny.

I am a strong believer in amsoil and will never use anything else. I won't kid you it's expensive at around $14 to 15 a bottle but if you save yourself some headache, it's worth it to me.

Also I don't buy into not changing it if there is no problem way of thinking. At some point it will overwhelm the filter and potentially other problems. My feeling is, if changing fluid creates problems, the problem was there already and you only caused it to show up. Lack of maintenance is never a good idea. Fluid also gives higher temp protection that breaks down over time and needs to be renewed so the temp range stays high enough.

Last edited by speedygonzales; 08-29-2019 at 12:33 PM.
speedygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
changing the fluid on one with that many miles may have it start to act up
I think you read another zero in his mileage. 20,000 miles is barely broken in.
Changing the fluid is not the issue. Power flushing the system is the issue. Change the fluid as much as you want. Just don't use a machine to do it. Although at 20k I wouldn't worry about a machine either. Its not enough mileage to get dirty inside unless it was seriously abused.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:39 PM   #7
jkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think you read another zero in his mileage. 20,000 miles is barely broken in.
Changing the fluid is not the issue. Power flushing the system is the issue. Change the fluid as much as you want. Just don't use a machine to do it. Although at 20k I wouldn't worry about a machine either. Its not enough mileage to get dirty inside unless it was seriously abused.
It has 200000 on it
Old 08-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
Tom
driving is in my blood

lol so he read your misprint correctly thats awesome!
At 200k, do not flush the trans.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

The only thing you can do is drain the fluid into a clean pan. Strain it through paint filters. Change the filters, and gasket on the transmission. Use the old fluid again, and top off as needed. Use a cheap atf so it has less cleaners in it. As high quality stuff may start attacking the clutch packs.

That.is why you never change the fluid if it has a burnt smell.

Also transmission fluid like oil does not have a definitive life span. If you beat on your engine like it owes you money the 5000 mile oil change may only be 3000. My work van needs the tranny fluid done every 20000 max. It starts showing age at 10-15 usually.

You have to gauge oil life span by visuals, and texture. If it looks bad it likely is, and change it.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #10
jkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
lol so he read your misprint correctly thats awesome!
At 200k, do not flush the trans.
I do not want to flush it just change the filter and add a Derale pan with cooling tubes and 2 quart extra capacity should this be a issue adding some new fluid to it
Old 08-31-2019, 06:30 PM   #11
speedygonzales

It's your peace of mind and no amount of talking is going to change it

You are on the right path. Oil and filter change. Extra deep cooling pan and added capacity.

The BS about tranny fluid doesn't experience break down like oil is just that, BS. I can show you source after source that explains that. It breaks down like any other lubricant with additives.

I thought it was important to put in the added (first hand experience) of fluid that has a much higher break down temp than most from the day our vehicles were introduced.

Last on the subject of new fluid attacking some (unknown) something or other. That's definitely BS. What would it clean away? Sludge? Holding a seal in place? Attack a sludge clogged clutch pack? Make it slip? Really? Who wants to rely on a clutch pack that works because it's pack full of sludge when you're on a long trip with the family?

I don't know where the BS thinking of changing fluid if it isn't burnt is bad started but it's pure unadulterated Bu-- Shi+