The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #751
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
iwould go the cheapist route to get it running. It won't be hard to swap engines engines or parts later on. The hard part is done. have some fun with the truck!
The biggest problem with swapping from the 24v to a CR is the engine mounting points are in a different location, and obviously the wiring. I may have a way to get the CR in there. We'll just have to see if it works out.

I called the body shop today and he claims that he will have the front clip painted this weekend. So maybe the truck won't go to a storage unit after all.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #752
6lcummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
My step dad has a CP3 that's running 27K PSI at idle, sounds like just what you need. Hahaha
I hope this is a joke, otherwise give him Ryan's number and I'll set him up with injectors rather soon...
6lcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #753
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Update time. I decided that the CR is on hold and more than likely isn't going in this truck. I had some money saved up to buy parts for the CR, but reevaluated things and this is what happened. We'll continue the CR build and stuff it in something later. For now, I dug my 24v out and got the front gear housing swapped out. The engine is ready for paint, but I'll do that after I build my turbo piping. I spent my slush fund on the Longhorn. I tried to get the big ticket items I needed to get it drivable. Here's what I got:

Nitro shocks
Steering block for the D60
DIY4X shackle flip and spring perches for the rear axle
HD hydraulics for the clutch
Billet tappet cover for the engine

I'll post pics when things arrive or I get the power plant sat back in the truck. I spoke with the body man and it's same crap there. Supposed to have my front clip done this past weekend, now it's back to this Friday. I just might have the truck running before he gets my front clip done. I better get the box done so he can set it in the corner for a few months.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #754
mcbassin
Still Learning

Pictures Ryan Pictures.......
BTW, I don't have a clue about your Diesel jargon
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #755
watahyahknow

good to see you got wize about the engine , sorry bout the paint thing , whell lets hope he puts some extra effort intoo making the bodywork straight as an arrow

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #756
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

I'm with you Mcbassin.

They keep talking about all that diesel black magic voodoo stuff, and it goes over my head! AND I want to see more pictures.

Get busy Ryan!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #757
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Pictures Ryan Pictures.......
BTW, I don't have a clue about your Diesel jargon
Well basiclly I removed the old front cover and gear housing and installed one for the 94-98 12v engine. To do this you have to remove the camshaft and all the valve train. I also installed a new head gasket while I was that far in to it. I also removed the oil pan and installed a new pan gasket and cleaned it all up in there. It didn't look too bad at all. I cleaned all the valve train components up and checked the rockers for wear. The 24v rockers are known for galling the lower portion of the rocker arms and the rocker pins. I don't have any pics of the engine tear down. Sorry, I'll get some of the engine later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
good to see you got wize about the engine , sorry bout the paint thing , whell lets hope he puts some extra effort intoo making the bodywork straight as an arrow
Supposedly the body work and priming has been done for over a month. He just keeps putting it off. So he must not want paid real badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
I'm with you Mcbassin.

They keep talking about all that diesel black magic voodoo stuff, and it goes over my head! AND I want to see more pictures.

Get busy Ryan!
Man o' man, I've been busy I tell ya. We've been pretty swamped with customer trucks and our little bro's F-350. Still have a couple of project trucks that aren't ours to get to as well. There's just not enough time. Hopefully some time soon I can get some thing done worth taking pics of. Throwing more parts in the bed doesn't count. Does it?
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #758
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Update time. I decided that the CR is on hold and more than likely isn't going in this truck. I had some money saved up to buy parts for the CR, but reevaluated things and this is what happened. We'll continue the CR build and stuff it in something later. For now, I dug my 24v out and got the front gear housing swapped out. The engine is ready for paint, but I'll do that after I build my turbo piping. I spent my slush fund on the Longhorn. I tried to get the big ticket items I needed to get it drivable. Here's what I got:

Nitro shocks
Steering block for the D60
DIY4X shackle flip and spring perches for the rear axle
HD hydraulics for the clutch
Billet tappet cover for the engine

I'll post pics when things arrive or I get the power plant sat back in the truck. I spoke with the body man and it's same crap there. Supposed to have my front clip done this past weekend, now it's back to this Friday. I just might have the truck running before he gets my front clip done. I better get the box done so he can set it in the corner for a few months.
p-pumped 24v is a sweet choice too. nothing beats the rattle of the p-pump motors anyhow.

i could have so hooked you up with a steering block and the shackle reversal if i had known. i happen to know of at least one of each just laying around collecting dust. with a few tweaks the shackle mounts i made for my truck would be reversals too...

good luck with the final push

ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #759
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

And you tell me I don't post enough pictures....dude......whats with that ?...LMAO** lets see whats going on over there dude
1966 SBFS street HULK http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5886625

Poject Low and go gets a 6.2 ltr LSA supercharged with 6 speed automatic

Aluinum Radiator Dealer pm for details
wutnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #760
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
p-pumped 24v is a sweet choice too. nothing beats the rattle of the p-pump motors anyhow.

i could have so hooked you up with a steering block and the shackle reversal if i had known. i happen to know of at least one of each just laying around collecting dust. with a few tweaks the shackle mounts i made for my truck would be reversals too...

good luck with the final push

ryan
Hey Ryan, I could still use another steering block for my 76, and I have a friend whom is looking for a shackle flip. So I may be able to help you out with getting rid of them.

I love the sound of a P-pumped 24v too! Hopefully soon I might just hear one of my own.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #761
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutnxt View Post
And you tell me I don't post enough pictures....dude......whats with that ?...LMAO** lets see whats going on over there dude
Dude, you just walk out side, snap random shots, and post pics of trucks stacked on top of each other. I can't compete with that level of hoarding.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #762
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Ok, ok............ Here are some pics of pieces that add up to well, empty pockets.

Steering block

Nitro Shocks (Which they shorted me boots on)

Heavy Duty clutch hydraulics

And my long block sitting behind the truck waiting to find it's home in between the frame rails.

1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #763
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

Quote:
Dude, you just walk out side, snap random shots, and post pics of trucks stacked on top of each other. I can't compete with that level of hoarding.
Sure ya can....you just have to step your game up ...lol...Hoarding isn't easy ,it's a full time job.

Great to see your making head way....looks like you have lots of parts....very cool ride . Can't wait to see you get this thing finished.....
1966 SBFS street HULK http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5886625

Poject Low and go gets a 6.2 ltr LSA supercharged with 6 speed automatic

Aluinum Radiator Dealer pm for details
wutnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #764
Maxxd07

Hey Ryan, where do you find the valve cover without a sheeps head on it? I will need one and was just wondering. You should pay your paint guy like he gets your work done, if it takes him 3 months for example pay a little here and there for the 3 months after its done. Maybe he will get the hint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #765
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxd07 View Post
Hey Ryan, where do you find the valve cover without a sheeps head on it? I will need one and was just wondering. You should pay your paint guy like he gets your work done, if it takes him 3 months for example pay a little here and there for the 3 months after its done. Maybe he will get the hint.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can get you one if you'd like. I'll PM you the details. So far I'm only paying him for what he's gotten done. But I sure am thinking about paying him just how you described!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #766
ryanroo

Quote:
Hey Ryan, I could still use another steering block for my 76, and I have a friend whom is looking for a shackle flip. So I may be able to help you out with getting rid of them.

I love the sound of a P-pumped 24v too! Hopefully soon I might just hear one of my own.
ill have to kick around to find the reversal. after thinking about it i cant remember if its for the 67-72s or the squares. ill have to find it and look. for sure on the block. if you aren't in a hurry for it i can get it off my truck whenever i get to the front axle. if you are in a hurry im sure i can get it off sooner

Ryan

Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #767
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
ill have to kick around to find the reversal. after thinking about it i cant remember if its for the 67-72s or the squares. ill have to find it and look. for sure on the block. if you aren't in a hurry for it i can get it off my truck whenever i get to the front axle. if you are in a hurry im sure i can get it off sooner

Ryan
Not in a hurry. I have to get this truck running before I start on the 76 again. This truck has tied up a bay and been pushed in and out too many times. DIY4X doesn't stock the 67-72 shackle flip kits so I got the 1 ton square body ones. Kurt said I'd just have to drill new holes. I didn't care because I'd more than likely have to do that anyway.

Good news, my body man claims my front sheet metal is hung and he either will seal them tonight and spray tomorrow, or do it in the same order on Friday night. I'm guessing Friday night/Saturday morning.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #768
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks like some real nice parts. Okay, I understand what's going on with the engine.
Now let's see some pics of installed
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #769
watahyahknow

i think that cummins engine came in normal big rig trucks and some shovels tractors and other agricultural stuff too maibe you can find the valvecovers there

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 04-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #770
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looks like some real nice parts. Okay, I understand what's going on with the engine.
Now let's see some pics of installed
Be patient grass hopper. We shoul be done with my brother's F-350 tomorrow, and then it's on to the Longhorn!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #771
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The body guy called and said the front clip is painted and I can pick it up tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll pay him when I drop off the box. That sound good?
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #772
watahyahknow

maibe pay him after the box is done that way he night be working harder on it to get it finished

Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #773
ryanroo

Quote:
Be patient grass hopper. We shoul be done with my brother's F-350 tomorrow, and then it's on to the Longhorn!
whats the deal on the f350? i used to have a 95 4x4 srw and would love to buy another sometime. perfect truck for a cummins swap.

looking forward to some more longhorn stuff. i was poking bac through this thread looking for some pics of where you finalized the engine location. i remember some talk of raising it. i couldnt find any pics and was just curious for comparisons sake.

Ryan

Old 04-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #774
mknittle

Quote:
The body guy called and said the front clip is painted and I can pick it up tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll pay him when I drop off the box. That sound good?
Great news! Looking forward to seeing it in one piece.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #775
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
whats the deal on the f350? i used to have a 95 4x4 srw and would love to buy another sometime. perfect truck for a cummins swap.

looking forward to some more longhorn stuff. i was poking bac through this thread looking for some pics of where you finalized the engine location. i remember some talk of raising it. i couldnt find any pics and was just curious for comparisons sake.

Ryan
It's a 92 F-350 Ex Cab LWB DRW 4x4 with a 5.9, NV4500, Dana 80 rear, Dana 60 front, triple disc clutch, and around 650HP. We're finishing up a bunch of repairs so my Dad can drive it out to Ca so my brother can drive it home at the end of April. I'm pretty sure I had a thread on it on the board a long while back. I'll see if I can dind it.

I had some pics with it higher, I'll have to see if I can find them.
1969 Chevy milk truck