The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
rushingad

Question Intermittent Fuel Delivery Problem

I have been having a problem with the fuel delivery on my 72 K10 pickup with a 350ci. From what I can tell, gas is getting to the pump but not the carburetor when the problem occurs. The weird thing is that it may work for a week without a problem, but then one day it will just stop sending fuel to the carb, and may start back within 30 minutes or so of trying to crank and putting gas straight in the carb. I think it may be trash in the gas tank, because those old mechanical pumps usually either work or they don't. However when I pull the fuel line from the inlet on the pump, there is fuel coming out. It's not a ton of fuel pouring out but there is some fuel coming through the line.

Any Ideas?
rushingad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Intermittent Fuel Delivery Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushingad View Post
I have been having a problem with the fuel delivery on my 72 K10 pickup with a 350ci. From what I can tell, gas is getting to the pump but not the carburetor when the problem occurs. The weird thing is that it may work for a week without a problem, but then one day it will just stop sending fuel to the carb, and may start back within 30 minutes or so of trying to crank and putting gas straight in the carb. I think it may be trash in the gas tank, because those old mechanical pumps usually either work or they don't. However when I pull the fuel line from the inlet on the pump, there is fuel coming out. It's not a ton of fuel pouring out but there is some fuel coming through the line.

Any Ideas?
Likely no number of filters will cure problems coming from trash in the fuel tank. It'll always eventually pull trash up to the pick-up sock and interrupt fuel flow. But 1st, replace the short piece of flex tubing connecting fuel pump intake to steel line[if so equipped], as it can collapse when pump tries to suck fuel thru. Also, ensure the tank is not under a vacuum, often caused by ventless gas caps.
Hope you luck,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
jaros44sr

Re: Intermittent Fuel Delivery Problem

I once had a japenese beetle floating in my fuel tank on my old 1969 TR6 DD, fuel level would drop just enough to suck her hard shell against the fuel line opening, but not always! Drove me nuts figuring that one out......

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
aminal

if its a mech pump then pull the pump off and see how worn the lobe and the arm are.
aminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
aminal

or a rubber line before the pump could be old and stupid and be getting sucked shut cutting off the fuel supply
Old 05-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
rushingad

Last night I pulled the hose from the fuel pump and there was absolutely no gas coming out. So I shot some air down the hose and it started flowing out, so I'm going to conclude that it is trash in the tank. What is the best way to clean all of it out?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
aminal

The best way, if youve got a couple extra bucks, is to pull the tank and have it hot steam cleaned and recoated. that is the best way next to replacing the tank.

the cheaper side. 5 gallon tank of naptha is about 50 bucks, pour some in, you and a buddy shake the heck out of the tank and repeat 4 more times.

cheaper, baking soda or vinegar, same process as the naptha.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
rushingad

Should I just replace the tank?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
luvbowties

Smile Re: Intermittent Fuel Delivery Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushingad View Post
Should I just replace the tank?
If the tank is solid, and you've got patience and a helpful buddy, use the vinegar/soda technique, shake, rinse, and re-install. Personally, I lack many of those requirements and would hafta buy a new tank. The ultimate decision, of course is yours... Good luck, and congrats go to YOU on finding the problem in the 1st place!
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
Hawghauler

We always just took the tank out empty, put in some dishwashing liquid, couple of gallons of water and some medium sized gravel and shake it all about. Empty, rinse/repeat and if it comes out clean, you're done. Usually on an old tank it takes two or three times to get clean water coming back out.
You can get tank coatings that allow you to pour it in, tip the tank about until coated, dry and re-install.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #11
Boog
laying low

Some guys just remove the tank, drop a length of chain inside and shake and roll the tank about allowing the chain to knock any scale loose. Rinse thoroughly then use one of the tank coatings available.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
bigmac73

i would take it out and , call your local radiator shop and see if they can clean it and coat the inside
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote