The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
brandster

Selling truck with no title- Texas

I had bought a 67 C10 truck a while back to use some of the parts off of it. Truck did not come with a title. I ended up not using any of the parts off of the truck and would rather just sell the whole truck to someone else.

I have read where it is not legal to sell a truck without a title in Texas, even though I see people doing it all the time. Is there a way to sell the truck legally without a texas title?
brandster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:51 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Selling truck with no title- Texas

-
We will see where this goes. I think this is a legitimate question but it seems like every time a question like this is posted it turns into a slug fest. I am going to be following it very close and will close it if I need to. Also, discussion about swapping titles or VIN plates is not allowed on this board, PERIOD!

Thanks,
LockDoc, Moderator

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:07 PM   #3
tommy3horse

Hi, I bought. 65 mustang and it didnt have a title either. I contacted a cop friend and he ran the vin and produced the last owners name and address. I found that person and they signed some paperwork, and from start to finish it took 9 months. Good luck!

1965 Mustang 2+2 289 4spd, show-car
1965 Mustang Coupe 289 4spd, stoplight racer
1/2 dozen Wheelhorse Tractors
tommy3horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
BigBird05

I am in the same boat. The title to the truck I want to buy is long gone as is the owner. It is just sitting in a field and has trees going all around it. I will even have to cut some of the trees just to get it out.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:14 PM   #5
RustyPile

In Texas, a vehicle can be sold without a title, but it's considered a pile of parts.. Can't register it and without registration and safety inspection it can't be driven on public roads..

Before you attempt to sell it, contact the Texas Auto Theft Taskforce and get it "straight from the horses mouth"...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:18 PM   #6
Greenlee

Look up the last owner like was said above. I did the same thing with a boat. It had been sold a few times and someone lost the title. Just because the title is missing doesn’t mean something nefarious is going on.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:57 PM   #7
Slowboat

Depends on the state. In Vermont no vehicle over 15 years gets a title. Bill of sale only to sell/buy.

Maybe someone in VT wants it...
Slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:56 PM   #8
wesmigletz

We bought a Scout without a title in TX. We got a Vin inspection from the local PD and applied for a bonded title. After three years it is a regular title, but you got to apply for it.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:53 AM   #9
lil hoodlum

Yes, I will add that it is legal to buy and sell a vehicle without a title in Texas. As stated, it is a pile of parts without a title. People do buy vehicles without titles all of the time in Texas so that is why there is the bonded title process.

Last edited by lil hoodlum; 03-07-2021 at 01:54 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
best view

Nh does the same as vt I’ve never had a title for anything
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #11
Rickysnickers

Related, you can always run a VIN here, https://www.nicb.org/vincheck , to see if the vehicle you are interested in is stolen.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:47 PM   #12
72c20customcamper

I've registered cars without a title . You do the paperwork they give a non transferable registration . They do the vin check and get a transferable reg for 72 or older or a title for newer vehicles in about 5 to 7 weeks
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #13
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I've registered cars without a title . You do the paperwork they give a non transferable registration . They do the vin check and get a transferable reg for 72 or older or a title for newer vehicles in about 5 to 7 weeks
It doesn't work that way here in Texas where the OP and I live... In Texas, you absolutely need a title to register a vehicle.. To the best of my knowledge, there are no year specific exclusions..

In Texas if you don't have title, application through the Texas Auto Theft Task Force is the only way to obtain one... And that's not a "rubber stamp" process.. The vehicle must pass scrutiny and be "clean", among other things, no record of being stolen and not recovered, or rendered a total loss and sold as scrap and the title submitted as such..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #14
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
It doesn't work that way here in Texas where the OP and I live... In Texas, you absolutely need a title to register a vehicle.. To the best of my knowledge, there are no year specific exclusions..

In Texas if you don't have title, application through the Texas Auto Theft Task Force is the only way to obtain one... And that's not a "rubber stamp" process.. The vehicle must pass scrutiny and be "clean", among other things, no record of being stolen and not recovered, or rendered a total loss and sold as scrap and the title submitted as such..
My point was he could sell it to someone in a state that will. They still check it to see if its stolen but it's not a big hassle.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:24 PM   #15
Davidf

You can sell and buy a vehicle without a title. To title it, you must go the bonded title route. Did it with my ‘52 3100. You do not have to get it inspected prior
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:36 PM   #16
dmjlambert

I recommend go ahead and title it. It will be worth much more as a titled truck when you sell it and you'll give it a chance for a life on the road. I titled mine using an auto title company and got a regular title, not bonded title.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:04 PM   #17
franken

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
It may not be strictly legal to sell a vehicle w/o a title, but it happens all the time.
There's more than one way to get a title in TX. Mechanic's lien, storage lien, bond, contact the last titled owner are a few.
I've done a bonded title and nobody looked at the car so there's no inspection if that's what scrutiny is supposed to mean. Let's try to provide accurate info.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:18 PM   #18
val1gonzales

You can sell it with a Bill of Sale and you or the other person can apply for a Bonded title. Takes some time but if the vehicle is worth the effort go for it. It will need to have a VIN. It takes months. I know. So don't expect to get what you want for it.
https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...-with-no-title
https://www.suretybonds.com/blog/tex...title-5-steps/

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-08-2021 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Please read Post #2
val1gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:05 PM   #19
franken

Swapping VINs is a federal offense so don't do it or advise people to do so...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:02 AM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Swapping VINs is a federal offense so don't do it or advise people to do so...

What franken said. If you advise people to do it you may get your account suspended....

Y'all have been warned....

LockDoc, Moderator

-
Old 03-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #21
brandster

When I posted the question, I wasn't referring to swapping vins, removing vins...etc. Im not even concerned about titling the vehicle if I can legally sell it to someone without a title. I know I could go the bonded title route to obtain a bonded title but didn't want to go through that process unless selling without title was considered illegal.
I see, more often than not, people selling these old trucks without titles. I have never purchased one before without a title and didn't plan on reselling the one I bought without a title....but plans and circumstances change so now Id rather sell truck and let someone else use it instead of letting it sit and rust. But I always like to be on the legal side of whatever I do, so just wanted everyones thoughts on if it was legal or not in Texas to sell a vehicle without a title.
brandster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #22
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandster View Post
When I posted the question, I wasn't referring to swapping vins, removing vins...etc. Im not even concerned about titling the vehicle if I can legally sell it to someone without a title. I know I could go the bonded title route to obtain a bonded title but didn't want to go through that process unless selling without title was considered illegal.
I see, more often than not, people selling these old trucks without titles. I have never purchased one before without a title and didn't plan on reselling the one I bought without a title....but plans and circumstances change so now Id rather sell truck and let someone else use it instead of letting it sit and rust. But I always like to be on the legal side of whatever I do, so just wanted everyones thoughts on if it was legal or not in Texas to sell a vehicle without a title.

I think everyone knows that you weren't asking about swapping VINs or titles but as I stated in my first post it seems like every one of these threads goes South sooner or later. I think you are getting some good info and that is why I didn't close it. Trouble is too many people just read the first post and reply with bad advice....

LockDoc

-
Old 03-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #23
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
There's more than one way to get a title in TX. Mechanic's lien, storage lien, bond, contact the last titled owner are a few....
I have a car with title obtained by Artisans Lien in Tennessee about 20 years ago. Nerve wracking process I but got a clean legal title. The last owner was known, but owed money on it (about $500) over 10 years prior and would not sign anything. I guess he thought the finance company would chase him down for the difference. Went through the process and I got the title. Took several months but really didn't cost that much.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:24 AM   #24
TexasC10

Well. if you check the law, not legal as I learned with just selling a old trailer I bought from someone without a title, was home-made the seller told me but not exactly sure after it all turned in to a pile of **** with refund & paper work.
No car or anything plated can be sold in Texas without a title, even illegal to buy one if you read the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandster View Post
TexasC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #25
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

I’ve bought more trucks without titles than I can count. People die, house fires, just lost it over the years etc...it’s really not an issue at all.

As long as there is nothing nefarious going on ( which you must determine) it’s done all the time.
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote