The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
dummass

1969 gmc 3/4 ton 12 inch lift, 40x15.5 tires... Steering help please!

Completely rebuilt ground up as my highschool project 6 years ago. Been sitting in garage last 2 and i need my weekend warrior back! I recently swapped out my front and rear axles because 3 years ago i rolled my rear end, crushed spring perches, demolished drive line, etc. Being an idiot.. And my front end was closed knuckle with drum brakes, and had custom steering block made and the whole steering would shift and clunk and I never felt comfortable driving it. So I had another truck, 1977 Chevy that I robbed the axles out of. Ended up moving shock mounts and spring perches, found that out the hard way. Then got the front end up and axles are different diameters so had to have new u bolts made for the front. Now I'm stuck with my steering problem, wich is my main concern at the moment. I have raised steering arm coming off axle, and I have dropped drag link I think you call it. My issue now is that the steering arm on this 1977 axle is now farther away and with steering wheel and tires both straight, and adjustments out as far as the can go, I'm still way far away from where I need to be. The only way I can get it hooked up Is to have the steering turned all the way. I need help to get this the safest, most reliable setup. I will post pictures when I can, have my truck in storage elsewhere from where I live. Any suggestions to my steering dillema? I thank you in advance for your time and response!
dummass is offline   Reply With Quote