The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
Leadfoot1

Just help...... Please!!!

Hey guys,

Not exactly “the new guy” here... but yeah, i was more of a lurker than anything else for a long time as i never really found the right truck, so i read more than i posted, dreaming!! LOL!! But that is all changing now, as, just before winter, i found the most awesome truck and at a super deal!! With winter finally on the ending side, im getting ready to jump into the project with both feet!! 🙂

Truck’s an 87 R30 (2WD Dually Crew Cab) Got it cause i have always wanted a crew cab and because this truck is soooo MINT ( Its never seen any winters and only has like 65k miles). Its a 6.2 as well, so my first D!!! It belonged to an elderly gentleman (a neighbour of mine) since new (Yup! Thats right, One owner!!) and i finally got to get my hands on it. But now that i have it, i am realizing that my “simple” plan of lifting it and putting some 35’s on it (max were allowed here... i know, deff sucks!) is gonna be a lot more complicated than i tought. Especially as im having a pretty hard time finding a simple way to lift this brick!!

Ive read and read but cant find anything to really help... im almost to the point of doing a slammed truck.... i even looked at those Alcoas set ups with wheel adapters. I mean, its pretty low actually and inhave a set of dually fenders to put on the bed i just picked up!! (Y, truck had a tilt bed on it and i sold it and was wanting to single wheel it)

But id so much prefer to lift it.

A bit of background on myself? Im a Muscle car guy, Chevy only. Most of the time a first gen Camaro nut, i am actually just finishing a pretty cool project of a bad ass little small tire ‘70 Nova (turbo’d LS, built, Hi Ram, S480, REID Glide, PTC torque, moly shaft, fully built Fab 9 rear, Wilwoods all around, black Welds Aluma stars 2.0 wheels, 8 sec chassis/ front to trunk and yada yada yada), and sooo, i know much more about Chevy cars... than i know about Squares, but im learning!!!

This site is huge and i cant seem to find the info i need even after many many searches pertaining to “maybe” using a solid axle(?),(but not connecting, idea is to be able to lift the truck with leaf springs, not to make it a 4x4, at least for now). I have enough projects for now and even if id LOVE to have it with a working 4x4, its definitely not in the cards for now.... but i love the truck and want to try and do something to make it mine a little more.

Anyway, dont want to keep you guy’s reading forever on here.... so, would any of you with more time on this monster of a site be willing to maybe steer me to some posts that could be of help with this?? Or maybe some of you even have better solutions to my quest?? That would be sooo awesome.

Im trying to not look at too many builds because we all know the sickness!! Sometimes the Nova is starting to feel more like a paperweight... and i often feel like my efforts should all be towards the truck LOL!!!

Anyway, i’ll be looking forward to seeing if anyone has an idea.

Thanks for the help, means a lot!!

Lead.
Leadfoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote