The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
hugger6933

Anyone remember the old street rod frame clip

Trick that tons of guys used? back in the day guys would put Camaros front frame clips in the old trucks to give them later suspension. I put an LTD frame clip on a 46 ford truck I had once, long time passed.With all that said I was wondering my yard. It is littered with a mix of old truck stuff and lots of late model stuff and sometimes they sit side by side. Well it was looking at a frame from a 2003 Silverado sitting by my 68 GMC short 5 lug roller frame when inspiration struck. I got out my tape and with some quick measuring I have the idea of a 99-07 front complete suspension in the 67-72 truck frame. By the way of clipping the front. That means power rack steering and disc brakes of course and a little more modern steering tech and geometry. It also means the LS motor mounts are there. with my quick measuring it will go with less than the need for 1/8th inch of shimming on each side. I have an old 68 that was gonna be a short truck but for now I may just leave it long and clip it to build one shop truck style and stick in one of a handful of 4.8's I have laying around[they don't sell as well as the 5.3 or 6.0] Also along that idea is a 4 bar setup out of a Suburban/Avalanche. I love the ride they have but I think the coil over truck arm may ride real well too. I might get one of those kits then put the later rear [99-04] in the truck to have rear disc brakes too. Any one try this or thoughts?
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
67 chevelle

Re: Anyone remember the old street rod frame clip

Take pictures and start a build thread , lots of those year trucks around for cheep and lots of people doing the ls swap , myself included .

I had a 49 3100 with a 79 camaro clip in front , it rode like crap with the huge leafs in back . I changed them out for ladder bars and coilovers , and the thing drove like a Porsche , huge difference

The rear suspension on 67 -72 chevy trucks with coil springs is one best ever designed , as good as an a-body , and way better than an f body or nova
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive

Last edited by 67 chevelle; 10-23-2015 at 03:24 PM.
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

Go for it Jim. You certainly have the equipment and talent to pull it off.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
WiggyHD

Jim, let's do it!

Mark
Old 10-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
hugger6933

I know I have the talent but do I have the ability? [Patrick Star modified quote]
Old 10-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
hugger6933

OH, WIGGY, I can't even get you over long enough to make headway on yours much less get to work on anything of mine. We can't have any fun working on the truck for all the other fun we have.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

You may find the late model's front wheels are pushed out further than the older trucks which might limit your wheel width and offset choices a bit. I hope you get to do it.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
hugger6933

The track width is dang near identical. That was the biggest surprise. I looks as simple as slicing the frames rolling the clip into place and welding it up I have a set of directional type factory wheels and tire from a Suburban I junked out I think it would look really cool on the shop truck themed 68. I have a disc brake rear end with 3:42 gears and a ton of LS stuff. Now all I need is time.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #9
dirtyjim

there have been several 67-72 bodies put on later frames n this board.
I remember several street rods being clipped back when I was a teenager and at that time it was the way to do it, but as soon as the mustangII crossmembers came on the market all that nonsense stopped.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

We used to do clips on the old stuff with solid beam axle and leaf spring. I never saw a need to do it on one of these trucks since they already have a modern suspension with a great ride and disc brakes.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
hugger6933

Well, Tim, that is true about the disc brake stuff trying this clip idea is gonna provide a LS mount [I know those are available too] and the rack and pinion steering. While all of those thing can be ordered off the net or a large supplier of parts, I have maybe twenty or so of those front frame clips laying around from junked out Silverados not being used for much of anything. I do have 3 or 4 front rolling suspensions from 71-2 for these trucks and 2 73-87 fronts as well. One of the later fronts is already spoken for going in WIGGYhd's truck that I'm building for him.
The thing that made hot rodding great was guys like you and me taking stuff laying around from one piece and putting it on some other to make it look better be safer or go faster. I don't think it is gonna be something that anyone else might want to try but it might just be an easy way to kill a couple birds one stone kind of thing by adding power steering and disc brakes and LS mounting options.
Thing like this happen when a man gets bored and his welder is itching to burn some metal and his plasma cutter is wanting to cut something.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #12
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Well, Tim, that is true about the disc brake stuff trying this clip idea is gonna provide a LS mount [I know those are available too] and the rack and pinion steering. While all of those thing can be ordered off the net or a large supplier of parts, I have maybe twenty or so of those front frame clips laying around from junked out Silverados not being used for much of anything. I do have 3 or 4 front rolling suspensions from 71-2 for these trucks and 2 73-87 fronts as well. One of the later fronts is already spoken for going in WIGGYhd's truck that I'm building for him.
The thing that made hot rodding great was guys like you and me taking stuff laying around from one piece and putting it on some other to make it look better be safer or go faster. I don't think it is gonna be something that anyone else might want to try but it might just be an easy way to kill a couple birds one stone kind of thing by adding power steering and disc brakes and LS mounting options.
Thing like this happen when a man gets bored and his welder is itching to burn some metal and his plasma cutter is wanting to cut something.
I agree. Stuff like this is what started hot rodding. Using what you had or could find. "Nothing was bought", off the shelf till cams and heads started popping up for sale.
Do a thread on it. Sounds like an easy way to get a lot of bang for the buck.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #13
jdw

I'd like to follow along.
jdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
Redline novdog

IMO this one falls into REALLY! What are you going for a road course burner? I hate chopped up frames. You want GO!, then use you're time fabbing an all tube IS frame! SORRY just my Opinion!
Old 10-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

how about starting with a late model suburban chassis? Then make it fit your truck body. The newer subs with the 4 link and coils ride soooo nice. Even better than our long armed trucks. You may have to swap the rear coils for bags unless you are lucky enough to find some coils with the right spring rate
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #16
hugger6933

The idea had nothing to do with racing or road courses. It just started out by looking at some parts and thinking I could improve on a truck with stuff laying around the shop. My racing and clowning days are done but people are gonna flame me for an idea to improve on one of our trucks yet say nothing to a guy cutting a long frame into a short one.That by the way I had rather change a frame than shorten one but those guys are heros. I have several trucks that I plan on making a short out of but I plan on changing the frame and the bed instead of the splicing. I have had thoughts about the Suburban/Avalanche frame cause I do love the way they ride. [The Avalanche frame is the same as the Suburban] But when guys are flaming me it just gives somebody else a rest. Jim
Old 10-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #17
EARNHARDT#3

My 2002 Tahoe definitely rides great. But I wouldn't say it's better than my '67.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #18
Boog
laying low

Just let it roll on off your back Jim. Every one is entitled to their opinion. Some like the idea and some don't. Usually it's those who have never attempted something like this or have but had a bad result who slam an idea the most. Just because they couldn't do it it has to be a bad idea, I guess.
I frame clipped my first old pkup, a 56 ford, with a clip from a Cutlass back in '73. There were no aftermarket independent kits back then for the truck. It turned that old truck into a great driver. Power steering, power disc brakes and coil spring independent suspension. It worked so well I did a second one to my brother in laws 56 ford trk.
I will add the only thing left ford about my truck was the sheet metal and the title. The rest was all GM.
Since you have all those extra late frames sitting around why not give it a try? Well, when you can find the time.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I get where you're coming from with pondering ideas to put to use what you have. I was just responding to the title. You want modern stuff and this is a way to do it, and you have the stuff all there. That's not where I'm at so no need to clip one for me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #20
hugger6933

I understand not everyone has a need for this idea nor would the average Joe want to do this to their truck when you can buy a whole front from a 73 to 87 for nearly scrap iron prices. On top of that that swap has been perfected long ago and we know it works.I was just thinking the last 68 that I got in would be a good candidate for this cause it has power nothing and drums that have sat for 10 or more years I have like 8 or so 4.8 4l60E combo's laying around that aren't eating nothing I have one that is a cable and nobody wants those. So I'd take the rear out of that truck cut off the mounts off the rear and use one of those "kits" to put any other rear under the coil sprung truck and then not only does it match up but I have taken care of the rear brakes too and allowing me to use the Suburban wheels I got hid out without a spacer to let them fit.
If I try this and it fails I still have my 68 truck and all of the parts I could put them aside to use/sell and if I mess up the frame well i had planned a short frame swap anyway
If I got defensive earlier I'm sorry I wasn't feeling well and afterwards realized I had a fever of 101.9so I do apologize but a hater is gonna hate and a tater is gonna tate. if anybody has read any of my posts they know the last thing I want to do is damage feelings or opinions and ideals. Jim
Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 PM   #21
davischevy

Go for it Jim. I'm not sure how you could have hurt someone's feelings here.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #22
jdw

I'm still in.
jdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
If I got defensive earlier I'm sorry I wasn't feeling well and afterwards realized I had a fever of 101.9so I do apologize but a hater is gonna hate and a tater is gonna tate. if anybody has read any of my posts they know the last thing I want to do is damage feelings or opinions and ideals. Jim
Sick? So what, no excuse? I already told my mommy and she said I can't play with you any more. I'm glad, too, cuz who wants your germs anyway?

I've done things I wouldn't do now... and things I'd get flamed for now. Things were different when what I did it was just me doing what I did to one truck. Not like today with the internet and all the car shows on TV, etc. One person does a thing and next thing you know a huge body of these classic trucks get altered for life for a current trend. Even doing the things back in the day I wouldn't do now, I always gave some respect to what it originally was.

Tim

Old 10-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #24
hugger6933

Tim, You weren't even the poster I perceived as flaming on me. I'm sure the one who was [or the one I thought who was] I just took it wrong.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #25
cooperhw

Quote:
Tim, You weren't even the poster I perceived as flaming on me. I'm sure the one who was [or the one I thought who was] I just took it wrong.
I think "EVERYONE" should remember to always look at the title of the thread. Yours asks the question "Anyone remember the old street rod frame clip"?
A simple yes or no is a perfectly good answer especially if this is not something you like.
When an O.P. asks a question like "what do you think about this type conversion"? then it's game on, tell it like you feel it.
Personally that's why I usually wait till after I do something "the masses" would disapprove of before I post it.
Me, I think this type of thinking and willingness to go outside the box build hot rodding. Is hot rodding. Always will be hot rodding.
The masses used to rail on the kids taking fenders off (and souping em up) the 32 coupes when they got home from the war. Darn kids.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote