The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2018, 01:04 AM   #1
Rob 61 apache

SWB 61 apache

This is a first for me,i started this project about a year ago,I’m planing to rest o mod it thinking about a 327 with a 400 tranny,and a front end swap as the original was all cracked up,I noticed my dif was welded so I’m changing that also,I wanna put power steering,my cab needed cab supports,pillars,inner/outer rockers,the back of the cab was rusted thru,floor pans,inner foot plates and I’m sure I forgot something,i have been getting a lot of great info from this site,I’m not that good with computers so I’m having trouble getting some pictures up,any help would be appreciated

Last edited by Rob 61 apache; 02-28-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Rob 61 apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Just-in-credible

Re: SWB 61 apache

So, if there is any one piece of advice that I can give you from my build, it would be to look into an overdrive transmission. I have 3.73's in mine, and the overdrive was like night and day. I see you're also from Alberta! I live in Calgary. Before I had the OD in mine, keeping up with traffic on the QEII was not fun. I drive to the red deer cruise every once in a while, and frankly, it sucked. I got a 700R4, and it was like a whole different machine. At the same time as I did the overdrive, I put in a dakota digital cruise control unit. I actually want to drive it everywhere now. I can scoot down the QEII, set it on cruise, and actually pass people.

I have an extra 700R4 kicking around if that would be something you'd be interested in.
Just-in-credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
Rob 61 apache

Hey,sorry about taking so long to reply,I finally got my 71 suspension almost into my 61,did a lot of research and I think you’re right about using a 700 r4,so now I’m looking for a motor and tranny,any suggestions for motor to go with the 700 tranny,and do ya still have a spare 700 kicking around
Rob 61 apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Wikid61
Post Whore

You keep looking for a running driving sbc/700r vehicle & score all the extra parts needed to make this swap happen. Also research what others have used to upgrade these older trucks. Shifter? Floor aftermarket or a column mod (very involved for most) is another question to be put to a check off list. Drive shaft. A '71-'72 5 lug rear end to match the front.
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote