The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2017, 03:55 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Metal, hard plastic, or tool bags?

How do you like to carry your tools?

I prefer a soft bag but I like a metal case for sockets and socket sets within the bag. I like hard plastic cases for such things as electric saws, assuming those are made for that saw.

I think it is a tragedy modern tool sets don't come in a case of some sort.

What about you guys?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Metal, hard plastic, or tool bags?

Tragedy? Seems a bit dramatic, doesn't it? I bought my son a set of Craftsman mechanic tools that came in a big plastic rectangular cube with everything fitting in it's molded place on trays. I gave him a steel carry box with 3 drawers because it seemed to make more sense, take way less space.

I buy quality tools and very few over the years have come with a case. I see it as a nice bonus, for some tools, but see no need for one with most of my tools. I'm thinking carpentry tools here and the only ones that need a case are ones that have other components that need to stay with the tool or delicate ones. Same for mechanic tools. Tools such as sawzall, jig saw, hammer drill, screw gun, trim hail gun. Years ago I bought one of those Dewalt four tool sets that all four tools came in a huge suit case sized case. First thing I did was throw that away. I saw that having no place but laying in the bed waiting for a trip to the hock shop. The tools need to be locked in a tool box. Most of these plastic cases are made so oversized that can't happen. I keep my cordless Dewalt sawzall (that came with the 4pc set) in a 35 year old steel Milwaukee Sawzall case. My cordless 18v impact driver stays in an old 14v drill/driver plastic case from when Dewalt first came out with cordless because it is much smaller than the newer cases. My Fein Multi-Master is the only tool in a bag with all it's blades. My son left the bag behind full of drywall screws and I put it to good use

I keep my mechanic tools in steel cabinets and carry boxes. I don't like much of anything plastic, seems like temporary BS made to add to the too much garbage situation. Soft stuff has come along but I am still with my steel boxes. I like the bags for carting more than a handful of tools I'll need for a road repair or trip to junk yard.

I keep my masonry tools and drywall tools in the traditional canvas bags. My concrete tools are in a drywall bucket. My house painting tools are in a modern zippered heavy nylon bag, like a gym bag. That's another one left by one of my kids. A guy that worked for me left behind a plastic bin with a lid called Action Packer. I think it's Rubbermaid, it's no junk. It's tough like a trash can. Maybe 16"-18" x 24"? I've used that for 20 years to hold all the necessary smaller loose carpentry tools. It's not too big to pull out and leave on the job if I have a crew. I still have a pair of Reading flip top bedside tool boxes off a truck I have set on cinder blocks for extra tool storage, like a job box. I'd like to get one of those.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-30-2017 at 01:10 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #3
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

my tools didn't come with a hard case but they are in one now. It only cost me $12K
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

My home tools are in roll away upper and lower tool chests. I have a craftsman small 4 drawer that goes in whatever I'm driving. If I go to the wrecking yard I have a DeWalt soft bag and I take what I need from the small craftsman in the truck.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
raggedjim

I've got my good tools hanging on my pegboard wall or in the roll-around. I have a crap set that I carry to other peoples houses when I have to do something away from home (it's amazing how many people don't have any tools at all).

I've also got some tractor tools (mostly yard sale finds) out in the tractor shed.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
truckster

Most of my tools are in my roll-away or in chests or tool boxes, but if I'm going to do a specific job and I know what tools I'll need I prefer to take a soft-sided bag.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
rcrahn

You asked about "carrying tools", so I will share what I use when going on the road racing a BMW specE30 at Laguna Seca, Sonoma or Thunderhill.

Tactix steel 4 drawer for handtools. Anything larger is too heavy to carry. I took a cue from Grassroots motorsports article (below) about how race mechanics organize their tools. Check it out.

Milwaukee soft bag for M18 cordless impact gun, sockets, batteries and torque sticks. Does the job, easy to find.

Rubbermaid action packer for oil, brake fluid, spray lubricants, cleaners, etc. These are fantastic, come in a couple sizes. Rugged enough to sit or stand on. Keeps everything together and dry.

Yeti cooler for lunch and snacks. Expensive but worth it.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...x/76520/page1/

Last edited by rcrahn; 11-30-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: changes
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Metal, hard plastic, or tool bags?

Because I travel a lot and like to have my tools with me I bought one of these. It's a handful to load but it has just about any tool you would need on the road if your vehicle breaks down. I have been using it for about 8 years now. I leave everything in it and work out of it at home also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Coley

I have a few 'levels' of tool containment....lol.
First, the major one is the roller chest...which is the home base for 90%+ of all the hand tools.
Then I have a flat, low profile, long Snap-on tool box which I will take on longer trips and it can fit under the seat.
If I'm just out and about in the yard putzing on the truck, I'll use a soft carrying bag with just what I need for the short tasks at hand.
I do have a small, permanent underseat tool case in the truck...that is there purely in case I forget the snap-on one...it has the basics in it.

What would be interesting it to create a list of 'basic tools' needed for 95% of most troubles or tasks that may be associated with these trucks while on the road.
I think we can all agree on a couple of 1/2" and 9/16" combination wrenches for starters...lol

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I keep a soft bag of tools in the 64, as well as a plastic case. Those are my junkyard tools. Everything else is in Tool chests in the shop.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
What would be interesting it to create a list of 'basic tools' needed for 95% of most troubles or tasks that may be associated with these trucks while on the road.
I think we can all agree on a couple of 1/2" and 9/16" combination wrenches for starters...lol

Coley
I think that about covers it in these trucks. Better have 7/16, 3/8, & 5/16 to be safe.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
Boog
laying low

4 or 5 tools. Simple. That's one of the things I like most about our trucks.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:26 PM   #13
davischevy

My good mechanic tools don't leave the shop. I have had some of them for 40 years.

I have a three drawer metal box that I keep in whatever I'm driving, that contains Heinz 57 mechanic tools.

I have a big canvas bag that I carry my cordless tools in when I go parts chasing or doing the little bit of light carpentry that I do occasionally now days.

I keep small tool sets in hard cases in that I carry in my cars.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:28 PM   #14
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
my tools didn't come with a hard case but they are in one now. It only cost me $12K
I hope it came with keys.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:45 PM   #15
Boog
laying low

Yeah, and an engine..
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #16
In The Ten Ring

"Tragedy" is the right word.....so many lives lost and families torn apart each year by the lack of metal tool boxes. All done to save a few cents at the factory!

It falls in line with how products are made not to last for decades of use and to be impossible for the layman to repair....they want you to have to buy a new one. America didn't used to be that way.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #17
notsolo

Off topic but something made from American Steel to carry your tool box, made by men and women...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5kqXN0gIb0
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

So true. I have seen many lives ruined by the lack of tool organization, scuffed up tools, separated blades from tool, and charger over here, battery over there, and tool who knows were! Oh the tragedy of it all!! Ok, well it sure is unfortunate. Can ya gimme that???

I carry my carpentry tools in a metal box
Attached Images

Tim

Old 12-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

My box at home is metal and sits on the bench. My portable one is a 5G bucket with the bucket buddy tool holder. That I carry around work. My next will probably be something on wheels. The bucket can get heavy if I add drills to whats in there.

Soft bags tend to have loads of pockets for tools. Hard plastic boxes are typically one open place to throw everything in.. To me ideal is something soft on wheels.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:22 PM   #20
joeydurango

Rolling tool chest in the garage. Traveling tool case in the truck's bed-mounted toolbox. Several large plastic totes full of larger, construction-type tools. Cheesy tools in the laundry room of the house, in an old metal toolbox. And as soon as I get a different garage setup going, I'll have a bunch of tools up on pegboard again, over the workbench, easy access. As a 20-year mechanic, I hate having everything piled up in the tool chest! Nothing like walking into an organized, spacious workshop with everything just ready to go. My current garage is shared space with my business, but that's about to change... more space for the business, and a personal garage to boot!
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:55 AM   #21
In The Ten Ring

I feel you bro! Just last month I got the hood of the truck back on (not straight but "on") and that allowed me to properly store some tools. It's been "heaven" compared to what I used to have.

I have wanted to make shelves for several years now so I finalized a design, took measurements, and I am going to cut my remaining steel tube and angle up for these wheeled carts I am going to make as part of the new garage plan. Steel has been stored at a welding school for two years and I need to cut that up and bring it home before it ends up as some kid's welding project.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #22
outfield

I carry a canvas bag of tools in the Land Rover all the time, metric wrenches of course, sockets both SAE and metric, screwdrivers, hammer, vice-grips and a couple specialty tools just for the Rover. It's secured with a nylon strap just behind the passenger seat. I like it because it does not rattle.
In the pickup bed tool box I have a plastic storage box with a complete socket set in it, and a craftsman soft case with the remaining tools in it, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammer etc.
I'm leaning toward the soft cases more now because they don't slide around and the tools don't rattle.
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote