The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2018, 05:22 AM   #1
jathur02

just bought an 89' GMC Suburban..

I bought the truck looking like this (picture attached). The 5.7L was swapped out with a 5.3L and lowered with 20" wheels. Has anyone else done this engine swap or know if it's usually a good thing to do this? I know it came out of a 2003 Silverado. They took the fender wells out in the front as well, but I'm looking at putting some back in. Have you guys bought any modified fender wells for the 89' model that would work for something like this? I'm also looking at tearing out the interior and replacing it with black. I've looked at classic industries and what they have to offer as far as the interior goes, but is there a better place to get the interior from? I look forward to posting and hearing some feedback from you guys on this.

Thanks,

Justin
Attached Images

jathur02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: just bought an 89' GMC Suburban..

The engine swap is very popular and the LS series are very dependable driving engines. The fender wells were probably removed to clear the lower and big tires. Tubes made to clear the tires are not cheap but out there. SloshTubs is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Changing the interrior is personal preference. I have see a lot of folks take factory interrior from the later model burbs/tahoes and put in place of factory.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of the burb.

I am going to move you post to the squarebody area since it seems more fitting there and you'll gte more response.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
OutlawDrifter

Sharp rig, 5.3l will net you better mileage and will be less apt to leak.

I prefer a stock interior. Lots of places to get parts, LMC, Classic Parts, USA 1 Industries, Brothers, etc. I don't like black interiors, so I'm no help there.

Part of the allure of owning a 1998 or older GM vehicle for me is the wonderful array of interior colors. Red/Blue/etc.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #4
jathur02

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
Sharp rig, 5.3l will net you better mileage and will be less apt to leak.

I prefer a stock interior. Lots of places to get parts, LMC, Classic Parts, USA 1 Industries, Brothers, etc. I don't like black interiors, so I'm no help there.

Part of the allure of owning a 1998 or older GM vehicle for me is the wonderful array of interior colors. Red/Blue/etc.
Appreciate the response. I used to own a 1992 Blazer "Blazinlo" in Minitruckin', so I wanted a bigger version of that this time around since I miss the truck so much..ha.

Would you prefer one website over another for the interior parts? I might stick with the stock color, but I thought black might look pretty good, with that being the exterior color as well.

Are these interiors fairly easy to swap out? I'm going to do the seats, dash, etc before I get it back on the road. I'm also thinking of putting 22's on it, or maybe just 22's in the back and keep the 20" Visions that came with the truck, up front. Thanks again for the quick response.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
OutlawDrifter

Some sell the same stuff, some are better quality. I'm an hour away from LMC and Classic Parts, so it's easy for me to pick stuff up there and check quality/color match.

It boils down to what you want, and what you want to spend.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
jathur02

Quote:
Some sell the same stuff, some are better quality. I'm an hour away from LMC and Classic Parts, so it's easy for me to pick stuff up there and check quality/color match.

It boils down to what you want, and what you want to spend.
I'm leaning more towards LMC for the purchase of my interior parts, do you think that's a good choice? Any idea where I can find a coupon code? I'm basically replacing everything in the interior, including door trim, console, etc. I'm in KY, so I'm no where close to anything unfortunately. Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #7
OutlawDrifter

Might try calling them to see about holiday specials. I picked up new seat upholstery and carpet for an 87 C10 this weekend. Quality was good.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
Ski-me

Carpet usually comes from the same supplier "ACC". So do a little shopping before you purchase. I found the best price at stockinteriors.com
I did get the optional "Mass Back Carpet", which added a touch more insulation. I don't think LMC offers that option.

Dash (other than NOS which is ridiculous in price now), Dashes Direct is a nice repro product. This dash is also a supplier to many companies. ClassicParts may be the cheapest, but verify supplier.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L

Last edited by Ski-me; 11-29-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #9
jathur02

Quote:
Might try calling them to see about holiday specials. I picked up new seat upholstery and carpet for an 87 C10 this weekend. Quality was good.
Ok, I'll have to check that out. I'm thinking that might be the way to go. I meant to ask about what mirrors would be best for my truck? It didn't come with any, and I'm curious what you guys think. Thanks again
Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
jathur02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Carpet usually comes from the same supplier "ACC". So do a little shopping before you purchase. I found the best price at stockinteriors.com
I did get the optional "Mass Back Carpet", which added a touch more insulation. I don't think LMC offers that option.

Dash (other than NOS which is ridiculous in price now), Dashes Direct is a nice repro product. This dash is also a supplier to many companies. ClassicParts may be the cheapest, but verify supplier.
Interesting information. I'll have to look into that mass black carpet option. I guess they have matching seats, headliner, dash, door panels, etc to the mass black carpet? I just want to make sure everything matches up. Thank you for the reply.