The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Huck

Blazer Bikini Top??

Does anyone make one?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Re: Blazer Bikini Top??

Seen a few on here, not sure who does em, I am pretty sure they snap up front
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
Old 12-31-2006, 12:57 AM   #3
stomper

Yea, I've kinda been looking for one and haven't found. Was ready to go to a boat shop or something....
Old 12-31-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
obsesive23
Who me?

There is a member that has a place that will make them for us, I can't remember who it was thou. I'm sure he'll see this. Good luck with it.

72 2WD Blazer, under going porter built surgery
67 GT Mustang fastback
67 Mustang coupe C/S clone
64 Falcon sprint hardtop
Old 12-31-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
davesamnesia

I've only seen one installed. It looked really sweet but what I didn't like about it was, they had to put snaps across front of windshield. That to me was a major deterrant. If you are never going to put hard top back on guess it would be alright. The back was also snapped to roll bar. Don't know if it was boat shop or manufactued.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesamnesia View Post
but what I didn't like about it was, they had to put snaps across front of windshield. That to me was a major deterrant.
No different than putting on a soft top.
They have (old style) a row of snaps too.

Exactly the reason I never put my soft top back on the green one once it was finished.

Huck:
To answer your question, contact Yukon Jack.
He was involved somehow awhile back in that very endeavor.

Last edited by vtblazer; 12-31-2006 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

A few years ago when I bought my K5 I contacted the major top makers to see if any were interested in making a bikini top - they all said no because of the number of different rollbars that were used in the 69-72 K5's. One top maker said if I got lots of people interesed they might do it. I got a post started here and over at www.ck5.com and got probably 125 names of people who were interested in a bikin top. Contacted the top maker again and they showed zero interest. About that time tonyp contacted me and said he had a friend who made boat tops and he had him make a prototype bikin top for tonyp's K5. It turned out great and tonyp and I went to alot of work getting together some information sheets and ordering sheets and tonyp took the lead accepting the orders and shipping them once they were made.

Tonyp and I made zero money from these tops - we both just wanted to see them available. I would guess maybe 25 people actually contacted us and got bikini tops made.

We had both a snap type and a fasttrack style available in various materials. I got one for my K5 and before long my K5 will actually be running so I can finally use mine!

Over the last year tonyp has not been very active on either board and not too responsive to e-mails about the bikini tops. Last I heard they were still available but the wait was about a month to get one built. Tonyp is in California and I am in Kansas.

As tonyp is not very active on the boards now and hasn't been responding quickly, I am a little nervous about the tops. I will send anyone the order info but insist that you get an e-mail response from tonyp before you send money so you know he is still willing to take the orders and get the tops shipped out.

I would also be willing to take my top to a local guy who I spoke to about 5 months ago to see what he would charge to make these.

Again, neither of us was making a dime for this but as no one else is willing to get these bikini tops available, I will do what I can to help fellow K5'ers.

Here is a pic of the prototype on tonyp's K5.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
jamie72

i think i would be interesed in one. looks great!!

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
Old 12-31-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
Huck

That is exactly what I am lookin for. I know the issue of the snaps on the windshield frame--and hat the thought out that but---if you drape the back of the bikini over most basic roll bars and then have an adjustable belt running back, it should fit just about any Blazer/Jimmy. I know I could make one pretty easy but the material needs to be really tough, reinforced, and stitched with the right water resistant thred to get it right.
What was the cost on these---just curious~~??
Old 12-31-2006, 12:03 PM   #10
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

We priced them from $80 to $105 plus $20 shipping depending on which material you chose and whether it was the snap type or fasttrack type.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:05 PM   #11
13lazer
13lazers' blazers

i tried that project this summer but after $60 of materials from the upholstry shop, i couldnt finish before i put the top back on for winter. i was trying to fabricate a clamping mechanism at the windshield frame cut from some oak i had lying around. i used the removed hardtop as a template for shaping the boards. i wont drill any snaps in my baby. i wasnt able to make the top i wanted in the time i had this year. maybe in 2007, ill take pics if i make it happen.
Attached Images

1970 2wd blazer
1972 1ton blazer 4x4 in progress
1966 mustang coupe (modified)
1985 c20 suburban tow rig
1996 462 ranger with a 150 efi merc. a former B.A.S.S. tournament boat
almost all exempt from california smog laws intentionally.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:47 PM   #12
RAB38

I had one made at a local upholstery shop, If I remember correctly it was about $125. he used the snaps for the soft top at the windshield frame and there are two straps at the rear on both sides that snap to the soft top frame along each bed sides. I like it because it is quicker and easier to put on when a storm comes up or if you want to keep the sun off. the only thing I don't like about mine is that the rear of it flaps a little going down the road and it can get annoying. I think it is because it goes to far back past the roll bar.
72 Blazer CST 383 stroker roller, fuel inj, t350,NP205, D60 front, 14b rear, detroit locker, 38 x15.50 mtz's, welds, cross over steering, custom cage,Line X Spray in liner, House of Colors Tangelo Pearl Orange
Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
johnnyrotten

Edited by mod

All for sale and wanted to buy must be posted in the classified section, and you must be a paid subscriber to post the ad. It helps pay the bills. click here to subscribe

Last edited by Fred T; 02-09-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Closed Thread