The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
crr26@cox.net

seating options in a 72 blazer

i have a set of front seats from a 2003 tahoe. will these work in the front as they dont fold up. will i have enough clearance to get into back of blazer with them slid up all the way or can i take the factory flip brackets and make them work on new seats? or should i scrap the whole idea and any suggestions on what year model to install that flip up?
crr26@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
NW_Ryker

Re: seating options in a 72 blazer

Lots of people have used these seats in their Blazer projects. I remember someone mentioning that you can just slide the seat forward to access the back.
NW_Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_Ryker View Post
Lots of people have used these seats in their Blazer projects. I remember someone mentioning that you can just slide the seat forward to access the back.
I would be surprised if you can get in the back with the top on. I have seats from a 98 Silverado extended cab that tilt and slide, and it's still pretty tight.

As far as adapting the brackets, I guess it's possible. It's just a question of how much fabrication you want to do.

Of course, when you have the top off, getting in and out of the back is really easy.

By the way, I think 98 was the last year before they added the rear half-doors, so it's probably the last year they fold and tilt.

Last edited by truckster; 04-06-2011 at 12:22 AM.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by crr26@cox.net View Post
i have a set of front seats from a 2003 tahoe. will these work in the front as they dont fold up. will i have enough clearance to get into back of blazer with them slid up all the way or can i take the factory flip brackets and make them work on new seats? or should i scrap the whole idea and any suggestions on what year model to install that flip up?
Only the passenger seat flips up in any year blazer. Personally I would be scared to mount a new (heavy) seat on the old flip up mechanism.

I mounted my 02 seats by removing the factory brackets, welding new plates to the seat rails and bolting the plates to the floor. For the passenger seat I offset these plates towards the back of the rails so that the seat would go more forward than normal.

With this set up there is just enough room for dogs or small kids to get in the back with no trouble but it's not really adult friendly. Even like that front seat room is a little compromised. It's not bad but your 6 foot plus friends will feel a little close to the dash. I can take photos/exact measurements this weekend if you want.

'72 Jimmy Build
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
notorious

snowblind ya could you post some pictures please with some measurements, ive been looking in the junk yards to try and find something that would work
notorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
hotrodhomi

'97 Tahoe fronts
'97 Suburban folding removable 3rd row rears.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
29od1

I used 08 Escalade 2nd row seats in my K5. I takes a bit of modification to make them fit correctly, but they work very well for the Blazer. Here's a few pics. This idea came from a fellow member Epsorenson.

These 2nd row seats are also options in the Suburban, Tahoe and Yukon from 2008 and up.
Attached Images

Last edited by 29od1; 04-11-2011 at 10:23 AM.
29od1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
truckster

Wow, that's some serious clearance. I might have to change my seats now.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
99-LS1-SS

I'm considering a set of 2005 Tahoe front seats and third row seats. My logic is that I have a 6 year old and I would feel better with these seats because all of the above mentioned seats have built in shoulder harnesses.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
StreetKing

I've been considering seats too here lately, and don't really want to use Tahoe/Silverado seats because it seems so cliche. I'm kind of thinking about 99-04ish Jeep Grand Cherokee seats. Not only are they some of the most comfortable buckets of all time, but they look more original than Tahoe/Silverado seats.

Never really thought about the whole getting into the back seat thing until I read this thread, but that's not really a huge importance to me so it doesn't matter.
StreetKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
gfreeze1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29od1 View Post
I used 08 Escalade 2nd row seats in my K5. I takes a bit of modification to make them fit correctly, but they work very well for the Blazer. Here's a few pics. This idea came from a fellow member Epsorenson.

These 2nd row seats are also options in the Suburban, Tahoe and Yukon from 2008 and up.
I am upgrading my seats as well. I have 2006ish suburban 3rd row (bench) for the rear. I have the brackets welded in the floor to create a completely flat bed when the rear seats are removed.

What I am struggling with now are the front seats. The GM 2nd row seats are nice to flip and fold but they do not slide back and forth. That is a deal breaker. Esp because the driver sets don't move at all.

Does anyone know if the 97 Tahoe seats (like in Hotrodhomi's Blazer) slide and flip forward? I need the flip forward so my daughter can get in and out of the back seat.

Any help will be great.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhomi View Post

'97 Tahoe fronts
'97 Suburban folding removable 3rd row rears.
Homi, I really like the interior of your Blazer.

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #13
gfreeze1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeze1025 View Post
I am upgrading my seats as well. I have 2006ish suburban 3rd row (bench) for the rear. I have the brackets welded in the floor to create a completely flat bed when the rear seats are removed.

What I am struggling with now are the front seats. The GM 2nd row seats are nice to flip and fold but they do not slide back and forth. That is a deal breaker. Esp because the driver sets don't move at all.

Does anyone know if the 97 Tahoe seats (like in Hotrodhomi's Blazer) slide and flip forward? I need the flip forward so my daughter can get in and out of the back seat.

Any help will be great.
ttt
Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
MrGraySay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
I'm considering a set of 2005 Tahoe front seats and third row seats. My logic is that I have a 6 year old and I would feel better with these seats because all of the above mentioned seats have built in shoulder harnesses.
I have the exact same delima, & unfortunately no real answer. I love the way the second row flips forward so perfectly, but want to make the switch for shoulder harnesses also.
Any suggestions for a fix are welcomed.
MrGraySay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
MrGraySay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeze1025 View Post
Solid play. I'm interested in doing the same for my camping adventures, but don't want to cut out and replace the entire panel. Do you have any photos of the rear bench brackets you welded in the floor? I'd love to see/hear how that worked for you GFreeze.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Special-Ed

ive seen pictures of k5's that use pontiac g-6 buckets or sunfire bucket seats in all 4 seating positions. with just a lap belt

i know for my up coming k5 build i will be using dodge challenger front buckets and the dodge seatbelt assembly.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
MrGraySay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-Ed View Post
ive seen pictures of k5's that use pontiac g-6 buckets or sunfire bucket seats in all 4 seating positions. with just a lap belt

i know for my up coming k5 build i will be using dodge challenger front buckets and the dodge seatbelt assembly.
That's a clean look, but I need shoulder harnesses for my family's safety per my original agreement with the wifey.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #18
Special-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGraySay View Post
That's a clean look, but I need shoulder harnesses for my family's safety per my original agreement with the wifey.
check out how dodge does the shoulder harness... it can easily be grafted into the structure of the k5...

i have an 05 suburban as my daily driver.... love the seats but without the flip they are useless to me. and the 2nd row buckets are nowhere even close to comfortable as the fronts.

and my build will be 400hp+ i want shoulder harness... so my options became fewer and fewer...

so a little window shopping at the local car lots i found the dodge challenger seats to be my best option. easy enough to weld in some structure to accommodate the dodge factory belts...

so i get the benefits of a modern comfy seat, the ability to flip up and the safety of the shoulder belts...

i will have full grown adults in my back seat almost every weekend... otherwise i'd just use the suburban/caddy/gmc seats with integrated belts.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Special-Ed

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 9899
Size:  35.1 KB[size=1]Posted via Mobile Devicei think chrysler fixed our sliding forward with integrated seat belt problems

Chrysler 200 convertible. Winning!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
Special-Ed

chrysler 200 convertible seats... perfect!Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by Special-Ed; 08-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Special-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
gfreeze1025

Quote:
Solid play. I'm interested in doing the same for my camping adventures, but don't want to cut out and replace the entire panel. Do you have any photos of the rear bench brackets you welded in the floor? I'd love to see/hear how that worked for you GFreeze.
I will take pictures tomorrow when it's light out. I had my buddy cut out the brackets out of a suburban and just weld the pieces in place. He did admit that it was a bear to get the brackets out individually. The junk yard would not let him use any torches so it was with a battery powered sawzall that he cut everything out. It may have been better to just take the entire back section out of the donor car.

The only thing I don't like is that seat can't stand completely upright due to the integrated seat belt holder. It does lean a little backwards, but it is a breeze to get in and out. Also, if you are pulling the seats in and out a lot the split seats are a good option. I have the full bench and my daughter loves it.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
gfreeze1025

As requested,

Name:  2013-08-21 08.14.36-1.jpg
Views: 13240
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  2013-08-21 08.14.53.jpg
Views: 10543
Size:  45.2 KB

You have to forgive the condition as I am still trying to find a carpet color I like as well as what front seats to put in.

As you can see the seat doesn't sit all the way upright but it serves the purpose I need. Also the raised bar in the back brackets will be flush once I install the padding and carpet.

Hope that helps.

gf
Old 08-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #23
chuckd71

Quote:
That (minus the family) was my situation with my chevelle. Wanted power, folding, bolstered, sliding seats with integrated belts. Ended up with 2002-era series convertible buckets. Here are some pics of the seat.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/16855258-post398.html

Chrysler seats are nice but at least in the case of Sebring sets they need to talk to the bcm, which is less than ideal.
If car sets are being considered cts and ctsv coupe seats ate options. Sl500 are as well, but the controls are built into the doors. Might be a "fun" project though.

Trailblazer SS seats don't fold bu otherwise they look okay.
Posted via Mobile Device
chuckd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #24
AHowe88

Last week I mounted seats from a Jeep Patriot, the fronts look great, haven't done the rear yet. The passenger seat doesn't flip up, but it slides and folds down, and that combination should be enough to let people get in the back.
AHowe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #25
AHowe88

I'm mounting 3 point belts soon, one end will mount to the seat and be covered with the missing cover plate, which should clean the look up.
AHowe88 is offline   Reply With Quote