The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
lonewolf187

Finally getting a 72...

After so many years of trying to find the time and money, im finally picking up a 72 this weekend (God Willing...)
Just a few questions if you guys would be good enough to help a newbie out.

1) The one im looking at has an 8" lift in the front where they replaced the leaf springs, but in the back they did a 6" and just used blocks. The stance still looks decent but I am concerned with the force put on those long U bolts. Should the 1st thing i do be to replace the leafs back there or will i be alright for awhile?
2) Are the stock axles strong enough to support the 36" all terrains he has on it?
3) I have heard tell that people have been able to put a suburban bench in the front of these. Are these rumors true? (He has stock in the front and they are pretty wrecked.)
4) Given the 6" lift in the back and the 36" tires should i be concerned with the 4 hours of freeway driving i have to put on it? (He has a recently rebuilt 350 motor with a TH350 tranny that has around 20k.) Specifically im worried about the 3 speed at freeway speeds.

And lastly I have done alot of research on what to look for when buying one of these beauties, But if anyone has any other ideas as to what to look for I would appreciate it.

I will post pictures this weekend.
lonewolf187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

Re: Finally getting a 72...

Welcome to the board. I'm no suspension expert but I just don't trust blocks. Congrats on the new money pit, lol. Need pics
Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
lonewolf187

Thanks man. Ive been looking forward to this for awhile. Should have pics up on Saturday.
lonewolf187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
SeventyOne

I wouldn't worry about the blocks or the ubolt on the rear. Blocks get a bad wrap (lol) because of axle wrap and they're the cheaper way to lift the rear.

Assuming the truck is mechanically sound the 4hr ride back on the freeway will be no big deal just watch for steering wander. The 3spd probably won't put you at a nice RPM at highway speed but you'll be fine - I would probably keep it at 55 tops just since its really your first shake down of the rig.

Stock axles are ok for 36" tires IF you don't wheel it (or wheel it on mild trails). Others might say 35"s max...

Things to look for buying a blazer:
rocker panels, cab floors, rocker box, fiberglass top/hatch condition, body mounts, plus a lot of other crap

Good luck and have fun!
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote