The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 73-87

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Ash tray springs

I was not sure where to put this question. Did not seem to fit in any of the ones below so I will ask here. Does anyone know where to get new springs for the ash tray and where do they go on the ash tray? I have mine out and there is none on it at this time and this is why it would never stay closed. Thanks

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
Old 01-30-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Re: Ash tray springs

Alright, sorry for the big delay here -- Might have noticed my post in General Disscussion about the forum being painfully slow, but it got to the point that the forum wouldn't load at all for me. Seems to have cleared up for the time being though

So, with no further delay -- Here is how to replace the springs in your ash tray, and get it functioning the way it should!

First thing we need to do before anything is to remove the little feet that the ash tray sits on when it is open, and bend their tabs out of the way so we can open the ash tray to its fullest open position.

To do this, you'll need to play contorsionist a bit, and pull out the little rubber pads from behind the ash tray, then carefully bend the tabs back into the side wall of the ash tray assembly. You can refer to my pic below to see which tab I mean -- And you can also see the remains of the rubber foot in the background -- I kinda ripped the tail off it while removing it, LOL

Once both of these tabs have been bent out of the way, you can then take the ash tray door, and pull it down towards the floor as much as you can.

Doing this will expose a small pin head sized hole in the side of the ash tray, and also a rounded triangle in the sides of the assembly housing, with a small notch at the top. The springs sit inside of these four holes / notches.

Ok, so now that you've got your springs ready to go, its time to install them. You want to take the end of the spring that has a little bit of a bend to it, and slide it into the hole. This will keep the spring from falling out in a few seconds. Once you've got the springs into the side of the ash tray, you'll want to take a skinny screwdriver, and use it to push the spring up and behind the ash tray where you can grab it with your finger.

Then both slightly close, and move the spring into it's proper slot at the top of the triangle. Repeat for the other side, and close the ash tray. It should hold itself shut, if not, make sure that you've got the coils of the springs oriented towards the firewall.

After you've got that finished, then bend the little tabs for the pads back to where they were, and re-install the little pads. You're good to go!

Here are all of the pics for you, hopefully it'll all be made clear as mud when you see them, lol
Attached Images