The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
thekuse

Correct Mirror?

I was wondering if these were the correct mirrors for my '69 C-20? I don't think they are but there are no other mounting holes left to say otherwise. The built sheet shows them as option AAT.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Correct Mirror?

They are close to the correct style. In 69 dual 6-1/4" fixed arm, round head were the base/standard mirrors. Its the finish I am having problems documenting. Every original/era picture I have shows a body color arm and a white/silver head. Mirrors are the single most incorrect item I see on trucks. They are easy to change and chrome mirrors are an easy sell for the reproduction/aftermarket sellers. If you like them keep them. Or switch to round heads for a more correct shape. EDIT note somehow I went looking for 70s and decide to clean up the mess before it haunts me later.

Last edited by SS Tim; 04-27-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: wrong year sorry
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
thekuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
They are the correct style (dual 6-1/4" fixed arm, square head) for 70 base/standard mirrors. Its the finish I am having problems documenting. Every original/era picture I have shows a body color arm and a white head. Mirrors are the single most incorrect item I see on trucks. They are easy to change and chrome mirrors are an easy sell for the reproduction/aftermarket sellers. If you like them keep them.
Do you have any pictures like the originals you speak of? I'm having a hard time even finding a picture of any other mirror than the most common Tripod set up on the '69?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuse View Post
Do you have any pictures like the originals you speak of? I'm having a hard time even finding a picture of any other mirror than the most common Tripod set up on the '69?
They are lightly sprinkled around the brochures (pickup, Blazer, Suburban and GMC) if you want to see some. Problem is even new these were being changed. Often campers would install a Jr West Coast style on a new truck.

Now if I understand correctly there are no mirrors listed in the option section on the lower part of the build sheet. Is this correct?

Yes I have pictures. Mostly they will be a bit here or there that show the mirror and not really something worth posting.
Again very few "original" trucks have original mirrors. One I have, a base, has the correct painted arm and white/silver round heads the other has full chrome with 70 square heads.

But I do have one that clearly shows the painted arm and possibly siver original heads along with the common added Jr West Coast style.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
thekuse

Yes, that is correct. I don't know what the option letters state, but it is probably nothing. I have just been trying to gather all the chips and see what i could find out. I just couldn't see a Custom Camper with these flimsy old mirrors. Heck, I can't drive 30 without them shakin like a leaf!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
SS Tim

So your truck did have the base mirrors then. Body color arm and a white/silver head (it goes both ways). As far as being a Custom Camper there were no required mirrors with the package. So anything from the base on up to the Senior West Coast mirrors could be ordered new. After that GM had several accessory options and the aftermarket was abound with some truley weird looking items.
The fixed arm mirrors do shake but still work better than the tiny DG6 of 71-72. Plus yours are surely aftermarket and are probably not up to OEM standards.
Also it was common to fix mirrors to the camper itself so they were only on with the camper for those that chose to slide the camper on and off often.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
thekuse

Okay, that makes much more sense, thanks! I wasn't wanting to keep these mirrors , but if they are original, at least I'm getting that vibe, I will probably throw them right back on.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
SS Tim

Remeber that round heads are correct for 69 and square for 70. If you don't like them and want bigger mirrors then do it.
Screw plug the holes and add a set of the DG4 stainless (D29 painted) tripod/below eyeline mirrors, maybe camper mirrors even. They were available as dealer installed or go with a set of period aftermarket Jr West Coast mirrors. Pretty much anything is better than the base units if you use a quality mirror. But of note is that the correct 69-71 tripod (below eyeline mirrors) have longer legs than the short 72 style. This is a common error on early trucks to have the late mirrors.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I believe these are the original silvers tim is referring to and white ones on my 70.
Attached Images

70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
thekuse

So light blue arms with silver or white heads?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
SS Tim

As I understand things, yes more so with silver heads.

Very original 69 Longhorn.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

'69 would have silver mirror heads. I'm not sure it was established here,though Tim did comment in his first post,the arms are OEM reproductions in chrome or polished stainless which GM didn't offer. The round heads will not vibrate quite as bad

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote