The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Lets see your tow mirrors. '69 K20 needs your ideas.

I just picked up '69 K20 and I wanna put some good tow mirrors on it. I'm looking for anything that isn't the tripod style or 4 point mount. What have you guys done? My plans are for this truck to ultimately replace my '03 2500HD. Thanks in advance.
blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Lets see your tow mirrors. '69 K20 needs your ideas.

That leaves out most of the factory styles.

You could always use a Jr West Coast style two point or the full on DG5 West Coast mirrors with lots of points. :-)
Finally for a wide factory mirror there were the C30 flyswatters, long single arm and about usless.
Don't mean to make light of your request but most of the good choices for towing were eliminated. Tripods are good for most trailers and the camper (four point) swing out for the largest and widest trailers.

How high and wide of a trailer do you need to see around?
Late mirrors tend to look out of place and even the square body aero mirrors that many use sit at an awkward angle on a 67-72.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Saclandman

Here's what I have on my 67 C20.
Attached Images

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Saclandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

I know that makes it difficult. Here's a pic of what's on there now. I think they are Ford mirrors? For now I have a 16ft bobcat trailer and this truck is the tallest thing that's been on it so far but down the road I plan on a 20 ft enclosed car trailer. I'll have to look into the c30 option but the goal of this truck like my last one is going to be to simplify and clean up any unnecessary equipment, mount holes, body lines, or anything else that causes rust or unnecessarily shortens the life span of this truck.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
SS Tim

While I know this a real problem for you the flyswatters are not a solution. Looked for half an hour through my pictures and can't find more than bracket pictures. Finding a good usable set will be very difficult plus they are not that usable in that they vibrate badly.

Understand about the rust issue but for moderate to limited towing I think the camper four points are the best choice. Most car trailers here go 96" wide and they push 102" (its fun walking around Willow Springs Raceway pits).
For a full timer I'd jump up to the DG5 West Coast or a current bubble back aftermarket style that is similar with heated heads even.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
SS Tim

Found some flyswatter pics and a really nice DG5 pickup
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 01-19-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
slomotion
Old Duffer

Here's a couple photos. One with full west coast, and the other with the west coast jr's. I switch them up every once in a while just for a change.
Attached Images

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I use the factory mirrors for the year of the truck. Sounds like that's out for you. Not sure there is anything left worth it's salt. My favorites are the 67/68 RV Jrs. I'd use those on a later truck I wasn't concerned with proper for year on. Just plain cool li'l trucker morrors

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

I struggled with this same problem. I ended up going with the "DG4 Below Eyeline" mirrors. I think they are a happy medium between the useless sport mirrors and the big honkey swing out tripod ones. Here's a picture stolen from somewhere else, they came painted or stainless.

'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
72MARIO

I went with the correct 67-68 Jr's They are a horrible blind spot IMO. Really wish I went with the Below Eye line 71-72 mirrors
Attached Images

1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
jocko

Did you state above that camper mirrors are out of the running?
Attached Images

jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #12
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Those all look great. I especially like the look of the flat beds with that mirror set up. For my situation I just want something simpler. The flyswatters seem closest to whats in my head but even they aren't right. Has anybody done anything custom or fabricated? I'm sure this is almost completely unrealistic but Nothing would make me happier than to have no holes in the door. From my research that's impossible with towing mirrors.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #13
Sicklajoie
The Niner

The flyswatters would be useless at speed with all the vibration.
I think #3 or #10 would be the best bet for what you're looking for, with some kind of stick-on convex mirror to put on the bottom to eliminate most of your blindspots.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #14
chaztruett

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Here's a couple photos. One with full west coast, and the other with the west coast jr's. I switch them up every once in a while just for a change.
Love the look of your truck, bought the same mirrors. Hoping to see close up detail of how you fastened to door.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #15
NorCalC20LWB

This is what the PO put on mine, no idea what kind they are. I moved then in to the the attachment closest to the doors so I can fit in my single car garage door.
Attached Images

NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Well this is an old thread, but since it came to the top =) I was thinking if I ever got my panel on the road I might want to tow something with it, but because of styling I didn't want big horking mirrors on it full time. I found a set of those mirrors that mount on the wheel well and sort of under the hood ... mount them when you need em.

Did a quick google search ... here is a newer style set. The ones I picked up are more period.
Attached Images

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

There is just nothing better than what GM put on these trucks. They put all the thought into these and offered options to cover the needs trucks were bought for. The 3-point styles came about as a safety improvement... to eliminate the total blind spot created by West Coast mirrors. Hence the name "Below Eyeline". Those are excellent mirrors and all a driver has to do is look fore and aft before pulling. Truckers do this to this day. The same as what you have to do with some of these fat A-pillars on newer trucks.

Any other mirror looks cheap, especially those generic Ford-style mirrors. I call those K-Mart mirrors. They were always the common I just need a mirror replacement.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #18
greedy geezer

Location: Stoughton MA where everyhing on the road gets rusted out from winter and rock salt

Behind my big head stainless with a fish eye
Attached Images

greedy geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #19
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaztruett View Post
Love the look of your truck, bought the same mirrors. Hoping to see close up detail of how you fastened to door.

Thanks!!!
Thank you!
What these started out as were full sized big truck mirrors. The arms are adjustable length-wise (the two collars about the middle). The biggest problem I had was the length of the bottom leg that attaches to the door below the window. Big truck doors are virtually flat where our's flair out about 2". I sectioned the bottom of the bracket the required distance so the outward mirror bracket was vertical. The mirror bracket is held by two "L" brackets; one above the window, and one on the door skin. I drilled two holes for each bracket and bolted them to the door. I did use a back up piece inside the door skin to distribute the load so the skin didn't distort.
After shortening the bottom horizontal section, and adjusting the vertical part of the bracket bolted it to the "L" pieces. (These "L"'s did have to be bent slightly to allow the bracket arms to fit because of the angled contours of the doors.)
There's a lot of thoughts about drilling holes in panels. I think some of the owners would give the truck a shot of Novocain so it didn't hurt as bad. These holes are not a death-sentence to the truck, sometimes they're necessary.
I drove trucks for a living for a while, and yes, the big mirrors create a blind spot. You learn to deal with that and compensate by waiting the two seconds it may take for something to come out of it, or, lean forward or back and look around them.
Attached Images

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

Old 01-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #20
davepl

Behold, the Ultimate Mirror: Chromed West Coast Seniors. I think there could be no better mirror for a 3500.

(Runner up: stainless West Coast Jrs)
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #21
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Behold, the Ultimate Mirror: Chromed West Coast Seniors. I think there could be no better mirror for a 3500.

(Runner up: stainless West Coast Jrs)
Wait........let me get my shades

'81 G10 Shorty Van

Old 01-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #22
davepl

These (the WC Sr) are actually pretty functional as well, as they sure extend a long way if you want them to. I have them tucked in fairly tight as I'm not towing, but if you extend the swing arm and slide the mirror out to the end of it, you've got two massive wings out there!

They're so big they're actually a bit of a blind spot looking forward.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #23
chaztruett

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Thank you!
What these started out as were full sized big truck mirrors. The arms are adjustable length-wise (the two collars about the middle). The biggest problem I had was the length of the bottom leg that attaches to the door below the window. Big truck doors are virtually flat where our's flair out about 2". I sectioned the bottom of the bracket the required distance so the outward mirror bracket was vertical. The mirror bracket is held by two "L" brackets; one above the window, and one on the door skin. I drilled two holes for each bracket and bolted them to the door. I did use a back up piece inside the door skin to distribute the load so the skin didn't distort.
After shortening the bottom horizontal section, and adjusting the vertical part of the bracket bolted it to the "L" pieces. (These "L"'s did have to be bent slightly to allow the bracket arms to fit because of the angled contours of the doors.)
There's a lot of thoughts about drilling holes in panels. I think some of the owners would give the truck a shot of Novocain so it didn't hurt as bad. These holes are not a death-sentence to the truck, sometimes they're necessary.
I drove trucks for a living for a while, and yes, the big mirrors create a blind spot. You learn to deal with that and compensate by waiting the two seconds it may take for something to come out of it, or, lean forward or back and look around them.
Awesome! Thank you so much for all the trouble! I hate to reinvent the wheel, if I can cheat off someone, I will ! Thanks again!!! tt
Old 01-13-2016, 01:46 AM   #24
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfs200p View Post
I struggled with this same problem. I ended up going with the "DG4 Below Eyeline" mirrors. I think they are a happy medium between the useless sport mirrors and the big honkey swing out tripod ones. Here's a picture stolen from somewhere else, they came painted or stainless.

I used the same mirrors,but I used the stainless ones, Like you said, a good happy medium, beautiful truck by the way!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #25
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedy geezer View Post
Behind my big head stainless with a fish eye
these are what I am using!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote