The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
helopilot05

cheyenne 10

New here... So thanks for any help.

Theres a 72 Cheyenne 10 for sale locally... and I'm fairly interested but don't know much about it... and the dealer isn't much help either, other than he wants to sell it for as much as he can get.

I thought Cheyennes were all supposed to have wood grain trim?
This truck has a silver trim.

Ill post the link for the truck, hopefully someone here can give me some insight on this truck!

http://www.redwoodautosales.com/Deta...wood-Falls-MN/

Thanks

Name:  Images.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1601.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  59.7 KB
helopilot05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
1968aj

Re: cheyenne 10

I think that is a average price for that truck. as long as it is not rusted out bad. the Cheyenne super has all the woodgrain.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
bigmac73

your SPID states tach option but there is not one in the pic of the cab, I would bring that up to him and see what other options have been removed or messed with and then use that to get him down .
with what I see in the pics I would go around 2K and start there
start looking at the rust underneath as well
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
Coley

The lower trim you have on the truck right now is not stock or original.
It is after market and was added at some point in time.
As for the original wide 'belt-line' molding....I'm not sure if it was standard on the Cheyennes or not'
If it was, it was removed at some point.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

That side and tailgate trim is way off. Is that a blue steering wheel? Missing passenger side front turn signal isn't even legal for them to sell. I'd crawl under to see how much floor and cab supports are left. $2000-$2500.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
1968aj

I looked at the large photos and changed my opinion. it looks like a rust bucket and a pieced together truck. a money pit for sure.come to Houston and I will sell you a solid truck.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
andrewpclayton

There is a gold one in New Ulm for $2500 that i think looks better than that one
andrewpclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
Coley

The 4wd drive element adds money to the trucks value....
However, there are a lot of other factors including...does the 4wd work?, how much rust is on it/under the truck, noting that it isn't in pristine shape.
The factory tach has been removed by someone...which is too bad, that it a $300 option.
Also the 'Cheyenne' angle is all that special in my opinion unless its accompanied by a bunch of nice options....and that truck is fairly regular in that sense.

Let's back up a bit.....do you want a 4 wheel drive? ....is that key?

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 10-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #9
kwmech

With everything being out of line, 2500 max
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Cheyennes did have woodgrain, including a tailgate band. They had all the woodgrain a Super had except on the dash. That truck has had the rust fixed once already and that trim was the easy/cheap to go. They probably only painted the white, which would have been Ochre originally. That 2-tone wasn't available in 71/72...and the top would be white on a 68-70 with that anyway. The whole saddle interior is missing. If considering buying, ask for underneath pictures and go from there.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #11
Never enough

Good grief, Charlie Brown...looks like they just drug it out of the field the same day they took pics...broken headlight, signal missing, carpet and instrument panel filthy...I'm about an hour away and wouldn't waste the time or gas to look at that price. $1500...maybe, but you would still spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars building a truck out of that mess.

The bottoms of the front fenders, cab, doors and rockers have been poorly patched and are coming apart again. Like has been said, the cab supports and floor boards are most likely toast as well.

If it's been here in MN it's whole life, it will need MAJOR restoration to come close to trucks down south. I quit looking at local vehicles years ago.
Listen to 1968aj and get some pics of his truck. I just came back from Denton TX on Saturday with the truck in my avatar, a 1969 C10 that needs outer rocker and floor patching for $2500. Maybe double that for a K model in this condition ?
Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
helopilot05

Holy... I'm glad I posted on here for you guys to take a look.
You really took a look at the details... So thank you!

Never enough... I'm thinking you might be right. I haven't seen anything too promising sitting around here in the upper Midwest. I might have to take a look much farther south!

Coley... the 4 wheel drive isn't key... but I like the idea of it, as it was an added option. So although its not necessary, it would be nice to have the 4WD option on it.
And really... it all comes down to the price of the truck and how much of a good deal I think I'm getting. haha

Everyone else... Thanks for pointing out things I would have more than likely not caught.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
Coley

Smile Re: cheyenne 10

In my opinion, its very hard....to find a 4wd from that era that isn't beaten and ridden to within an inch of its life.
The restored ones go for big bucks....but that takes $30k + to achieve.

If you want an 'unabused' truck....you have a much better chance searching for a 1/2 ton, 2wd truck because the 1/2 tons, as well....took less abuse often than the 3/4 ton models.

If you are willing to look a little further than locally...there are still many, many good trucks and deals out there. You just have to do the homework to get them back home....which is not a big deal in my opinion.

my two bits.

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 10-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
Never enough

Learning how to look at the details has been an EXPENSIVE education for me. Hidden rust issues turn into major problems in a hurry. I've bought a "few" project cars and trucks over the years that didn't look bad but turned into, unwanted, rotisserie restorations.
I have a '66 Chevelle out for paint now that was such a case...
We're not going to talk about the "slightly rusty" '67 GTO that I bought out of ND. Turns out it had been delivered in Virginia and was a total basket case. Why I even fixed it is still a mystery. I drove to OK for a frame for it and saved the roof and firewall.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #15
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

to me I'm not a 4x4 fan plus the alt bracket has been changed.I rather you find one from a private owner Dealer ships are crooks
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #16
57taskforce
All about them K’s

4x4s are quite a bit harder to find in general. I wouldn’t ever really consider buying a truck that wasn’t but that’s my preference. This one looks pretty wore out. I wouldn’t pay but maybe 1500 for it. And if i did I’d be looking for a body with less rust to swap to the 4x4 frame.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #17
72 tigger

A road trip out West or South may sound a little overwhelming but, it’s so much easier than fixing the rusted out junk from the Midwest. I’ve made a lot of trips to TX
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #18
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never enough View Post
...I just came back from Denton TX on Saturday with the truck in my avatar, a 1969 C10 that needs outer rocker and floor patching for $2500.
No to hi-jack this thread, but when are we going to see pics of THIS truck?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #19
custom10nut

That truck needs A LOT of work. Cut dash, wrong steering wheel, missing tach, neglected engine bay, and the whole bottom of the cab needs replacing.
It looks like somebody sold this dealer "Dad's" truck that sat in a barn for a long time. He probably bought it for $1000, and The dealer is hoping for a quick sale.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #20
ho70

OK.........the rust is the big issue. If the underneath frame and supports are OK, then figure how much to fix the rust? Can it pass a safety to get registered? If not how much to do so? The fender needs fixing or replacing (time+paint costs). IF you want it to original, how much to do that? IT all depends what you want to do, so figure that out and figure how much to do all of that. IF you are in the 20k range, you can buy alot of nicer trucks for 15K done. If you want a truck to tool around in then make an offer. IT is a 4x4 and they are not too common. $2800?
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #21
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
No to hi-jack this thread, but when are we going to see pics of THIS truck?
Didja click on the link provided?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #22
helopilot05

Everyone... Thanks a ton for all of the insight.

I went and looked at the truck in person... Its in pretty tough shape and has a concerning amount of rust... all over... Guy said he saw it sitting in a farm place by a horse trailer and went up there and bought it from an older lady. Trailered it back got the motor to run and tossed it out for sale, and that's why its such a "good deal"
He was also very set on telling me there was only 40k miles on the truck and with that much rust and its shape... its clear there was at least 140k miles.

But yeah... THanks again guys, I'm sure ill keep you posted for a little more help down the road. Were hitting harvest pretty hard here now in SW MN.

Also... IF anyone has a good guy I can go to about getting a truck from down south or out west id be interested in getting some contact information. A C20 would be okay with me too... 67-72 series is my favorite body style!
Old 10-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #23
Never enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never enough View Post
Good grief, Charlie Brown...looks like they just drug it out of the field the same day they took pics...broken headlight, signal missing, carpet and instrument panel filthy...I'm about an hour away and wouldn't waste the time or gas to look at that price. $1500...maybe, but you would still spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars building a truck out of that mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helopilot05 View Post
Everyone... Guy said he saw it sitting in a farm place by a horse trailer and went up there and bought it from an older lady. Trailered it back got the motor to run and tossed it out for sale, and that's why its such a "good deal"

Also... IF anyone has a good guy I can go to about getting a truck from down south or out west id be interested in getting some contact information. A C20 would be okay with me too... 67-72 series is my favorite body style!
Huh ??? Whad I say ... He thought he had a gold mine and thinks he's going to make a few quick k on it...

Being in farming, you must have a trailer around there. Watch the craigslist ads for southern states and when you find what you want, go git-r.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #24
Coley

Smile Re: cheyenne 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by helopilot05 View Post
Everyone... Thanks a ton for all of the insight.

If you are interested in getting one of these trucks...the best money you'll spend this fall ($25?) is in getting subscription to the website which will allow you a boatload of options in getting some assistance.

A lot of guys here, including myself... would be quick to help locate, ship or store if you are a member.....
Well worth it for consideration and a lot of integrity in the member group here in my opinion.
Give it some thought....

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 10-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #25
jocko

A solid ochre 511 K10 Cheyenne with tach (originally) and posi is a nice truck. In this truck’s case, it would take time and money to get it back to “nice” condition though. Cheyennes should have woodgrain door panels, but not the woodgrain on the dash or glovebox. Lower white paint was added and some weird lower belt trim has been added as was pointed out already. Asking price seems like a steal for this truck IF it wasn’t a rust bucket - because the missing tach, door panel(s), seat cover, etc can be remedied easily enough. Unfortunately, it is a rust bucket. Unless you personally are a body resto wiz and plan to do, have time to do, enjoy doing, and have the money to do lots of bodywork, I’d pass this truck by. Paying anyone else to fix the body is a waste because you can buy a rust free one for much less than fixing this one will cost. And don’t underestimate the value of your own time if you opt to tackle it yourself. Even if you like doing bodywork, I believe you’d still be ahead by starting with a less rusty example that costs a little more up front.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote