The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
Harrison.

Difference in vintage air kits?

I've searched some and poked around on their website/summits website but I can't seem to figure out all the differences, especially between 941170 and 941171. My truck is a non AC cab, but I want to use factory appearing controls and I want the vents in the dash. I've installed a VA kit into an early mustang in the past and it had a unit that mounted under the dash, which I didn't hate but I'd much rather have vents in the dash. Do I need to cut holes for factory vents or do the kits for non AC cabs use vents that are placed in the dash? Is there a different kit that people recommend? I'm also not sure about mounting the compressor, my truck is a big block truck and the alternator is mounted on the pass side and PS pump is on the driver side. Anyone care to shed some insight?

Instagram: harrisonspeed
Harrison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: Difference in vintage air kits?

You can get a weld-in AC dash for these trucks aftermarket ---

Might be something to think about unless your truck is already pretty "put together"

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
weq92f

VA has kits that will go either way, under dash or in dash vents. The in-dash vent kits come with templates for the holes you must cut and all the hardware and ducting required to plumb them ( you can choose the style of vent ). It will be very much like the unit you have experience with in that the evaporater/fan assembly mounts under the dash inside the cab.

Give VA a call for details with respect to the under hood components and their mounting options for your application. You may find it easier to relocate your alternator to the driver side.

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
Harrison.

Thanks! I've actually got an AC dash for one of these trucks, but cutting mine out of my cab and putting the AC dash in isn't really an option on this one.

What brackets would I use to relocate the alternator? Currently I'm just using the factory clamshell looking alternator mount, I've looked around and most driver side alternator mounts put it right where the power steering goes.

I'll call VA this afternoon, I was just getting antsy last night trying to figure out what I was going to do with my truck. I wish there was an option to mount the compressor on the driver side above the power steering, just like what came factory, just like what came factory on both my 79 el camino and 78 scottsdale.

Instagram: harrisonspeed
Harrison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
I've searched some and poked around on their website/summits website but I can't seem to figure out all the differences, especially between 941170 and 941171. My truck is a non AC cab, but I want to use factory appearing controls and I want the vents in the dash. I've installed a VA kit into an early mustang in the past and it had a unit that mounted under the dash, which I didn't hate but I'd much rather have vents in the dash. Do I need to cut holes for factory vents or do the kits for non AC cabs use vents that are placed in the dash? Is there a different kit that people recommend? I'm also not sure about mounting the compressor, my truck is a big block truck and the alternator is mounted on the pass side and PS pump is on the driver side. Anyone care to shed some insight?
You will have to get (I believe) the non-A/C cab kit from vintage air. The opening in the firewall is the determining factor on this. It will come with smaller vents for the actual dash. You can purchase original style factory outlets with the chrome vents (balls) and use those instead. I think I still have my original I used for the pattern to cut the openings (I held it up and traced the opening on the dash, then used the cut metal reversed to cut the other side). Or, I think I've seen templates on this site as well. The center vent is the same on either kit.

Hope this helps. Just my experience.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote