The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Paint package on e-bay, opinions?

I know less than nothing about paint. I found this package on e-bay, what are the pros and cons?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6766

All opinions welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Tynee

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:41 PM   #2
Tynee
I miss this truck.

They've got another listing for the same package that's at $40.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:50 PM   #3
Tuck

You get what you pay for. Go over to the west side of Lex to car quest and ask for PPG's global paint. It is good and there high solid clear is great for a garage paint job.
Tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:58 PM   #4
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

I haven't been around alot of painting, but have been involved in painting 2 semi trucks. From what I've seen, Urethane paint is good paint, pretty easy to work with......I assume this is a single pass paint, not a base clear system. The only problem I can possibly see with it is if 3 quarts isn't enough color to finish the job, you have to order more, most likely from the same company, so you'll have to wait longer for the paint......and if you are 3/4 done with the paint job, you may run into problems spraying the rest of it.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:41 PM   #5
'72 Shorty
I finally got an avatar

I don't know if 3 qts would be enough. I used just under 2 gallons on my '72, but that was with everything apart.
-69 C-10
-56 Mack B-753LS (tow rig)
-94 Chev K2500 Short Ex-Cab
-89 Isuzu Trooper...Kinda
-03 Kawasaki KFX-400
-05 Suzuki DRZ-400S
'72 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:30 PM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

I've bought from this seller before... they're OK enough. As you might expect, it's a body shop supplier who's just hawking his wares on ebay. Service is OK, but don't expect any "with a smile" included.

Their color choices are limited... and you get the color you get. No custom colors. Also, the color codes themselves seem to be very "industrial" like you might see on a truck fleet.

The package you're looking at is not enough paint for a truck. You'll probably need 2 of these to cover all that sheetmetal.

That's about it.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:41 PM   #7
68 Suburban

Quote:
Originally posted by XXL

The package you're looking at is not enough paint for a truck. You'll probably need 2 of these to cover all that sheetmetal.

That's about it.

Kenneth
Not necessary true! If you paint with a compressor and a high preasure gun, you are right.

With my turbine, that would be more than enough paint to paint a truck. The difference is with the turbine system virtually eliminates all wasted paint that ends up in the air. Almost all the paint is being put on the vehicle and not floating around in the air. Thus it makes for a better paint job too.

You can also limit the waste of paint when painting with compressed air by getting one of those HVLP spraying guns, but I am not sure if that still would be enough paint.
68 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:08 PM   #8
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Thanks for all the input, guys, '68 sub, what do you mean by a turbine? One of those theings the Arabs wrap around their heads?hehe Seriously, though, I'm looking for low buck ways to get a daily driver paint job on the ol' girl.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 68 Suburban
You can also limit the waste of paint when painting with compressed air by getting one of those HVLP spraying guns, but I am not sure if that still would be enough paint.
I'm not familiar with the turbine you described, but I don't think 3/4 gallon would be enough for HVLP.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:37 PM   #10
68 Suburban

Kenneth, the turbine I use is excellent for putting about 80 to 90 percent on the vehicle. It does not use compressed air, but the low volume air from a turbine. It sounds like a vacum cleaner when you run it. It actually has an air hose that looks like a small vacume hose. Hell for all I know it is a vacum running in reverse...lol. Anyways, when you paint with it, the air is clear and not that haze you get with a compressor. Another plus is, there are no needs for traps for the condensation and oil that you have to deal with compressors. There is no chance of contamination from water or oil while you paint.

Last edited by 68 Suburban; 02-03-2003 at 09:58 PM.
68 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote