The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2015, 12:13 AM   #1
Ta12sec

Thoughts on seats.

Doing a pretty invasive non factory rebuild on a1972 k5, thinking about seats. Truck has 2 destroyed buckets and a rear frame no foam. Debating if I want to rebuild the factory stuff or have a set of trailblazer seats without the headrests rewrapped in the right colors. Want to have a comfortable driver and not sure if the factory seats will ever compare to modern materials. Any body running the trailblazer seats, how do they look? How did you mount them ? Would you do it again?
Ta12sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
David623

Re: Thoughts on seats.

yes I just recently mounted seats out of a 2000 trailblazer electric, heated bucket seats. Look great, I had some 2 x 4 tube stock and made some blocks about 4 inches long and mounted to seat tracks then welded a angle to the floor pan and bolted the tube stock to the angle. It raised to seats off the floor for a perfect fit for me.
David623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Custom seats. You can sell the originals to finance the replacements. I have 06 Silverado seats in the front and removable 3rd row Tahoe seats for the back.

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
WarMonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by David623 View Post
yes I just recently mounted seats out of a 2000 trailblazer electric, heated bucket seats. Look great, I had some 2 x 4 tube stock and made some blocks about 4 inches long and mounted to seat tracks then welded a angle to the floor pan and bolted the tube stock to the angle. It raised to seats off the floor for a perfect fit for me.
Not to hijack the thread, but do you have any pics of the seats?
1970 C20
-_--_--_- ______
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |_(0)|__|_(0)]
1972 K5
WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
Dirsuper

I'n thinking same thing.....I just want the frames and mounts for the stock ones. I'll get new foam and get them re-covered down the road. So......if you want to sell them.....
Dirsuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
Ta12sec

You want photos of the stock ones or the trailblazers? The trailblazer seats are in the garage, I have the k5 bench too. The buckets are in the truck at the body shop. Iwant go with the trailblazer seats just for the 3 point belt and the modern comfort, but not keen on 1100 to rewrapped them in vinyl. Can get nice own style vinyl covers with the houndstooth for 450.00 for the set.. Decisions... I will be selling which ever I don't use.
Ta12sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
Bigdav160

The factory must have built these seats so the frame and springs were embedded in the foam. When you remove the foam the springs are contained in the foam.

Does anyone know if the replacement foam has the springs embedded or do you have to remove, clean, and reinstall your old springs?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

The foam is just the foam. Over time the springs embed themselves into the seat. Normally they have burlap over the springs to keep this from happening. Over 40+ years of seat time it just happens... I think you can buy spring repair kits if some are broken.

https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/1967...eat-components

Old 09-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
Bigdav160

That seems hard to believe. I'm not a complete novice on seat recovering having done my '73 Camaro and '72 Corvette. And while there was some rust on the frames and the covers plenty worn, the foam fell right off.

Not my Blazer seats. That foam is stuck to every metal surface of the frames and will need a trip in the bead blaster to remove the foam gunk. The springs were completely embedded in the foam. I'm glad I cut them out.

Hey Rich, I checked the Year one link and it says in small print....."These seat foams include the wire embedded in the foam, " <shrug>
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
60_project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
Custom seats. You can sell the originals to finance the replacements. I have 06 Silverado seats in the front and removable 3rd row Tahoe seats for the back.
How is getting into the back, with the top on, running the Silverado Buckets? Any pictures of the space available at full forward?
Posted via Mobile Device
60_project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_project View Post
How is getting into the back, with the top on, running the Silverado Buckets? Any pictures of the space available at full forward?
Posted via Mobile Device
No pics but you have to step between the seats over the console.
I found some original brackets and I may look into making it tilt forward like the factory seats.

The best option for access in a late model seat are Escalade/Tahoe second row captains chairs. The have a tilt mechanism built in are are easily adaptable to the factory floor pan.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
60_project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
No pics but you have to step between the seats over the console.
I found some original brackets and I may look into making it tilt forward like the factory seats.

The best option for access in a late model seat are Escalade/Tahoe second row captains chairs. The have a tilt mechanism built in are are easily adaptable to the factory floor pan.
I thought about that, but then you lose integrated shoulder harnesses with second row buckets. I guess I will keep my search up for 1999-2001 Silverado extended cab front bucket seats. Those flip forward and have integrated belts. But they are just hard to find.
Posted via Mobile Device
60_project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:15 AM   #13
bp71k5

I just finished installing some PRP low back suspension seats and just built my own tilt brackets. I wanted something much more comfortable, but still looking stock from the outside.

Drivers tilts forward too, but you have to hold it up while rear passengers exit. I may add a gas strut to hold it up easier.

Posted via Mobile Device
bp71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
viking427

Trailblazer seats area a nice option and closer to the "look" and size of the factory 69-72 Blazer/Jimmy seats. Their integrated shoulder harnesses are a bit smaller and less obtrusive than the larger 99-02 Chev/Gmc seats. The TB third row fold & flip seats could be used for the rear bench if you wanted to get a set in your favorite color/material combo to avoid crazy upholstery costs. However, the Trailblazer third row seats don't have integrated shoulder harnesses, whereas the later model Escalade/Tahoe/Yukon third row seats do have them. Full size 07-14 3rd row seat's shoulder harnesses are built level with the headrests, so look a bit nicer, and the bottom cushions have "pockets" the buckles drop into when not in use, which makes them more comfortable when kids or the dog decide to stretch out for a nap. They're still split 50/50, so you can have both a 3rd passenger AND your dirt bike back there if needed

You can also make either factory CST bucket or Utility seat fit your needs better, by adapting/cutting/welding a set of (4) folding/reclining hinges/mechanism off a later model seat onto them. Increases their "utility" considerably, while keeping its appearance closer to oem.

If you're installing a roll bar, you can also move the front shoulder belt mount/swivel to the upper part of the roll bar (retractor portion still mounts down on the floor). This would open up many more choices in front seats.

Last edited by viking427; 09-28-2015 at 03:29 PM.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:34 AM   #15
Blazerowner

Where did you get the seat mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp71k5 View Post
I just finished installing some PRP low back suspension seats and just built my own tilt brackets. I wanted something much more comfortable, but still looking stock from the outside.

Drivers tilts forward too, but you have to hold it up while rear passengers exit. I may add a gas strut to hold it up easier.

Posted via Mobile Device
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #16
bp71k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
Where did you get the seat mount?
Sorry, I didn't explain right. I built the mounts but the seats are kinda close to original looking from the outside.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #17
Blazerowner

What did you use to make them? They look like the mounts prp sells but modified. Any pictures of just the mounts? I lm thinking of making some for the seats I have.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
bp71k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
What did you use to make them? They look like the mounts prp sells but modified. Any pictures of just the mounts? I lm thinking of making some for the seats I have.
Tubing and some steel from the hardware story. Totally custom made. If Prp makes something similar, I would have loved to buy it. Haha.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #19
Blazerowner

http://www.prpseats.com/product/tilt-mount/

Do you think it's cheaper to buy them? I want them to bolt to the factory holes. I was thinking they could be easily modified to fit.