The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
jmax

one more primer question!

i sprayed my sons truck with a high build primer, then blocked it out with 220 and worked my way to 600 grit, now i can see outlines of the existing paint where i had feathered it, will this bleed through the base coat? should i spray a sealer on it? we are painting it black if that makes a difference!

thanks again!
jmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
BigMike

Re: one more primer question!

When you say you can see the outlines, do you mean there is an actual lip, or you can see it because now the primer is so thin that it is transparent? If you can see the lip, I would prime it again and block it out until it is gone.

When I block out something (like my current project), I will block it out with 100/150 grit until it is flawless. Then I will go over it with 320, then wet with 600

You will probably be okay as far as it lifting the paint below, primer will usually lift a paint if it will lift. But there is always a chance, it's better to do it right once then to have to do it twice to get it right.

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
jmax

thanks for your response! to answer your question no you can't feel the outlines you can only see them when i wet sanded with the 600 i would site down the panel while it was wet and it looked smooth as glass and it feels smooth also! i guess just to be safe i will spray a sealer on it before spraying base coat. thanks again for your response!
jmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #4
>X<
registered IWATA user

i dunno about starting with 220. you should finish your skim coat of icing with 320 if you only want to prime once. i wouldnt ever see a reason to go under 320 frit on primer, and thats planning on repriming. for your FINAL prime try 400 then finish with 600. sorry but if you sprayed black basecoat over that primer right now you will see some 220 grit scratches. its alot easier to see if you use 3m guide coat after every grit change from the first swipe of filler to the final 600.

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
OhioChevy

jmax..be sure to spray a sealer on before painting.
OhioChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
BigMike

My bad on my previous post, I put marsons over everything while blocking the panels out, I would go with the advice of >X< on what you are dealing with. The last car I painted (12 yearsa ago), I used evercoat glazing putty over the entire car before painting it. The thing was about as perfect as you can get as far as the bodywork went. I was dealing with a 57 VW bug that had been clipped front and rear and was VERY rough to begin with. It has since been in a couple magazines and the guy that bought it from me (10 years ago) was pulling high 10's with a maxed out 2.0 litre porsche motor .

I hope I did not lose too much after not doing body work for about 10 years, I guess I'll see.

>X< - You work in a body shop I take it? I may hit you up with some Q's in the near future if you don't mind

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote