The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Is your 69/70 grille insert cracked and missing squares? Here's a solution

To read further discussion on this topic go here- LINK

My truck has the original 69 grille insert. Someone in the past ran in to something and cracked the grille insert, and I've been missing a few teeth. A new grille insert is over a hundred bucks or so, and then there's oversized shipping charges.

Anyway, here's a pic that shows the missing squares, and then I'll show you how I fixed it.

(Look below the letters LE in Chevrolet on the grille)

I found a '69 grille insert at the junk yard that was trashed. It was broken and missing pieces, but it did have a section I needed, so I cut that section out, and took it home.

I then figured out exactly what squares were missing, and snipped it to shape with some wire cutters.

Next up, I used some good strong Gorilla Glue two part epoxy to glue it in place. Once that was dry, I used some Quicksteel putty to fill in any gaps. One trick is to have a cup of water to dip your finger in to smooth it.

Once that was dry, I masked and painted the area to match, making sure to paint more than just that area so that it would blend.

Here we go. There's no way you could tell, unless you really got up close and were looking for it.

Last edited by augie; 06-15-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Closed Thread