The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
Zonaman

Help With New Instrument Cluster, please

Just installed an new instrument cluster in my 69. The gas gauge reads off to the left side not top center. https://photos.app.goo.gl/EpFhFnFRakxQJBMS9. Just prior to installing I replaced my sending unit with a new one and tested it on my old cluster. It showed half a tank which is about what I have. The new one seems to register but not on the top. It's off to the left. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
Richard

Re: Help With New Instrument Cluster, please

Did you attach the ground wire to the cluster?
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
Zonaman

No I didn't. Where is that located? I didn't recall seeing anything when I took off the old one. Thanks
Old 09-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
Zonaman

Doesn't seem to be a ground wire anywhere that I can see. All the install videos I've looked at don't seem to talk about this. I noted my amp meter ins't working either. All other gauges are good. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:14 PM   #5
Richard

Check the original cluster. If I recall correctly will be a wire attached to a post with a bare end. The bare end just went into a clip on the column support or surrounding dash metal.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
Thealien

There is a picture of the ground wire for the dash in the second post of this thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=721429
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #7
Zonaman

Found it. Thank you. The wire is connected as in the thread you referenced.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:17 PM   #8
Zonaman

I did install the plastic float as per this post http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=666161 when I put in the new sending unit but to reiterate, the old gauge showed half a tank as it should have when I tested it. If the float had come off I'd just be getting "E" all the time would I not?
Old 09-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #9
BT Classics

Did the arm on the float move freely?
I once made the mistake of tightening it a little too much. Outside it seemed to work fine. But inside the tank there was just enough resistance so the arm would get 'stuck' in one position. I originally thought it was a gauge problem until I eventually discovered the real culprit and had to take the sending unit back out.
BT Classics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #10
RustyPile

Was the old sending unit working properly before you did all this cluster work?? If it's still good, use it to test the gauge. If it isn't good, obtain a known good one or remove the one from your tank. Using a jumper, connect the sending unit "frame" to a good ground.. Connect the brown wire to the post on the sending unit.. Turn on the ignition switch (you can start the engine but it's not necessary).. Slowly swing the float arm through it's range of travel -- 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full points.. If the gauge responds but not accurately, you have a problem with the gauge or related circuitry.. If the gauge doesn't respond at all, you probably have a bad gauge, bad connection, or possibly a bad printed circuit..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:41 PM   #11
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Classics View Post
Did the arm on the float move freely?
I once made the mistake of tightening it a little too much. Outside it seemed to work fine. But inside the tank there was just enough resistance so the arm would get 'stuck' in one position. I originally thought it was a gauge problem until I eventually discovered the real culprit and had to take the sending unit back out.
Yes it did. But I'm tempted to put the original float back just to be sure.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:06 PM   #12
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Was the old sending unit working properly before you did all this cluster work?? If it's still good, use it to test the gauge. If it isn't good, obtain a known good one or remove the one from your tank. Using a jumper, connect the sending unit "frame" to a good ground.. Connect the brown wire to the post on the sending unit.. Turn on the ignition switch (you can start the engine but it's not necessary).. Slowly swing the float arm through it's range of travel -- 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full points.. If the gauge responds but not accurately, you have a problem with the gauge or related circuitry.. If the gauge doesn't respond at all, you probably have a bad gauge, bad connection, or possibly a bad printed circuit..
I appreciate everyone's help, thank you! The old sending unit was bad but the old gauge was good. I did test out the new sending unit by running it with the old cluster an it was ok. So it looks like I'm going to be pulling out the new sending unit just to be sure about the float and I can jumper that and test it out of the tank. But why would the new gauge register not on the top but left side (see video link above) ? Wouldn't it just register on the top part of the gauge where it's supposed to be either stuck somewhere near "E".or inaccurate but at least within the top of the gauge where the full to empty part is marked? The new gauge is getting a signal but it shows in the wrong place on the gauge face.

Last edited by Zonaman; 09-18-2021 at 01:44 AM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:14 PM   #13
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonaman View Post
....[snip]...But why would the new gauge register not on the top but left side (see video link above) ?........[snip].........
[edit] You have to test the gauge with a KNOWN GOOD sending unit.. Read the last 2 sentences of my previous post...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:40 PM   #14
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
[edit] You have to test the gauge with a KNOWN GOOD sending unit.. Read the last 2 sentences of my previous post...

The new sending unit registered my fuel level accurately- with the plastic float on the old gauge in the truck. Since it was good on the old cluster I presume it to be good on the new one. That's why I look on the new gauge as the likely culprit. I can pull it and test it just to be sure. I can even put the brass float back on just to be on the safe side
Old 09-18-2021, 12:14 AM   #15
pjmoreland

I wonder if your tan wire is shorted to ground, possibly where it connects to the sender? I believe that would cause the gauge to point to the left. With the tan wire disconnected from the sender, the gauge should point to the right (3:00).

There's a lot of helpful information in this post:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=640615
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:52 AM   #16
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I wonder if your tan wire is shorted to ground, possibly where it connects to the sender? I believe that would cause the gauge to point to the left. With the tan wire disconnected from the sender, the gauge should point to the right (3:00).

There's a lot of helpful information in this post:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=640615
Thank you. I took the tan wire off the sender, key on. It remains as you see it in the video link I posted above- at the top of the scale on the left side of the gauge. It has no effect. Suggestions?
Old 09-18-2021, 12:54 AM   #17
pjmoreland

Does your new gauge have a resistor installed on the back of it, like in the link I posted above?
Old 09-18-2021, 01:14 AM   #18
Zonaman

Quote:
Does your new gauge have a resistor installed on the back of it, like in the link I posted above?
Here's an image of the back of the fuel gauge as it came from the vendor on the cluster. Is that a resistor? I honestly can't tell.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2021, 01:18 AM   #19
pjmoreland

I agree, it is hard to tell. I am not familiar with reproduction gauges. If there is one, it isn't the same ceramic style that came on these gauges originally. It would be interesting to measure the resistances between the three posts as was done in the troubleshooting guide.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:30 AM   #20
Zonaman

I have seen a video from LMC explaining that they don't use resisters on modern reproduction gauges. https://www.lmctruck.com/product-vid...el-gauge-video I bought this one from Brothers so I could ask them. Can this test be done with the cluster installed as it is? It's very tight under there and I'm kinda old & fat - nevertheless, I'd rather not have to pull that cluster out unless I wind up returning it. Also, is there a way for me to test that tan wire? I looks as though it goes from the fuel gauge space on the fuse box, under the carpet and to the sender. Have I got that right?

Last edited by Zonaman; 09-18-2021 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:47 AM   #21
pjmoreland

I agree it is a major pain to work on anything up underneath the dash.

Did your old gauge cluster have temp/oil/battery gauges on it, or was it the simpler warning light style? The reason I ask is because there are differences in the wiring harness for the two types of gauge clusters. One of the differences is the connector pin that provides power for the fuel gauge.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:52 AM   #22
Zonaman

Quote:
I agree it is a major pain to work on anything up underneath the dash.

Did your old gauge cluster have temp/oil/battery gauges on it, or was it the simpler warning light style? The reason I ask is because there are differences in the wiring harness for the two types of gauge clusters. One of the differences is the connector pin that provides power for the fuel gauge.
Same as the new except the new one has a clock and tach- both of which are functioning perfectly and are wired directly from the fuse box although both get their ground from the cluster. Everything is working except the the fuel guage and the amp meter. Temp gauge is working, Speed and oil pressure don't really count since they're not electrical. Lights all good.

Last edited by Zonaman; 09-18-2021 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:58 AM   #23
pjmoreland

Running through the tests outlined in that LMC video should help you pinpoint the problem. If you've got test leads with alligator clips, then you should be able to fasten them to the gaige posts and then do all the tests while sitting on the seat. Unplug the big black connector from the back of the cluster to isolate it from the truck during the tests.

Is your Cluster Feed fuse still good?
Old 09-18-2021, 02:13 AM   #24
Zonaman

I get continuity across it.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:18 AM   #25
pjmoreland

If it were me, the next thing I would do would be to verify the presence of 12 volts across the power and ground posts on the gauge with the key in the run position. I would also make sure there isn't continuity between the input post (connects to tan wire) and ground.