The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2004, 10:17 AM   #1
super_kev
Wonder Boy

69-71 vs 72 doors, and tailgate trim template

I'm getting some '72 truck door shells (going to cut them down for my '70 K5 blazer) and I'm getting new door panels also ('70 style) so would there be any mounting problems to the '72 doors? Also, I haven't cut doors before, so is there a special way? Should I install the vent windows before I do or...?

Also, I have a new tailgate and I'm getting all new tailgate trim (the woodgrain with "CHEVROLET" stamped in it) so is there a template for me to drill the holes for the clips, or should I go ahead and buy the trim (was going to wait until I painted the truck) and try to mark everything out?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

The way I did my doors was to put my old door next to my new door, lay some masking tape down on the new door where the cuts will be and take measurement from the old door and transfer them to the new door. It took me about an hour for each door, use a file to trim it up when you are getting close. There measurement in the factory assembly manual but I found it easier just to use the old door as a template. The vent windows have no impact at all on what you have to cut. The part that you will have to make fit is the door cap.

As for the door panels, the 72 style snap on where as the 70 style would screw on. In the places where there should be a threaded insert on the 72 door there is just a hole so you will have to figure out a way to attach a nut to the back side of the hole so your screw will have something to go into.

Last edited by Gee_Emm; 08-02-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote