The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #51
rip2174

Re: 84 c10 stepside

Good looking truck.

what gas tank did you get from LMC? part number
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #52
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdxharley View Post
she sure is nice. makes me miss mine even more. lol! your style is exactly the way mine was. there is a pic of it in my profile.
cool /what you end up doin with it? i feel ur pain theres a few vehicles i parted with to keep the ball rolling. still stings.
jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #53
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood70 View Post
What did those seats come out of?
Posted via Mobile Device
http://youtu.be/b4DY6OABsPc
From what i have found theyre out of a 2003 gmc sierra 1500 extended cab.if you clik on the link they eventually show m round 3oo in.lot of the newer ones/chevy the console goes all the way to the front with more cup holders and such. which might work if the shifter was still on the tree i have the b&m shifter on the floor so its lookin like i can squeek the 2003 console in between the back wall of the cab and the floor shifter.never done one so im hopin to fabricate a base for it/make it work
Old 09-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #54
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip2174 View Post
Good looking truck.

what gas tank did you get from LMC? part number
ThanxWith the gas tank i looked round to find a tank to use to convert it to the rear in between the frame rails. on the blazer tank the filler points to the rear i wanted to find something that goes down thru the top you can get some nice fabricated tanks for 73-87 for 600 plus or you can order the one from lmc for 73-87 500 plus what i ended up doing was going with the 67 model lmc part number 32-5929 there in there for 200 if i tried to put the tank in between the frame rails the tank sat too high{would have hit the bed} and at an angle the frame is angled right there so i made some brakets to equalize that and get the tank to sit level/{not too high}not hit the sending unit on the bed cross brace with the bed in place. i made the brackets drilled and bolted them to the tank and used a jack to lift the tank into place got it where i thought it looked good and tacked them to the frame unbolted the tank. let it back down and finished welding the brackets too the frame the tank is a 17 gallon tank comes with the straps/sending unit the anti squeek the want u to use in between things is regular tar paper the straps were a little too short. the flush mount filler is separate. pros: the price/affordability. cons: the tank sits low. on a stock height street truck it wouldnt bother me on my truck i went as low as i could go without c notching the frame dosent bother me. any lower and youll have problems. on an offroad truck where clearence can be an issue as far as rocks getting up into it youd probably want something that tucks up further with a skid plate or a fuel cell in the back of the bed. also the filler ends up in the center of the bed not sure i like that if i was paying big dollars id probably want it more to the side.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #55
rip2174

cool. good info. Hopefully get back to mine sone.
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #56
fxdxharley
Just a nother gear head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
cool /what you end up doin with it? i feel ur pain theres a few vehicles i parted with to keep the ball rolling. still stings.
I let my then brother in law talk me into selling the motor and then truck went to epping auto salvage. i didnt have the time, money or place to work on it then.
71 Jimmy 4x4- future crawler/ woods rig
71 blazer (C4 2wd conv project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523589
fxdxharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #57
jpnh

Ive dealt with them in the past. ive got parts there a few times.-jeff
Old 10-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #58
jpnh

Got some new window sweepers today didnt realize till nowcool-jeff
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #59
MalibuSSwagon

Nice work man, our trucks are going to be almost twins when I'm done, going with flat black also.

Did you have any trouble fitting the cab corners? I can't get mine to sit flush.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #60
jpnh

i was reading a thread on here that said the trick is to clamp the new cab corner over the old one and cut them both at the same time ensuring the same line. sounds right. on mine i estimated where i thought the metal on the cab was good enough and ground the paint off a few inches you dont want any paint or rust in your welds. same with the new panel gonna want to grind the edp back a little from the edges then i estimated where to cut my new panel cut the new one laid it over the old cab corner and drew a line across then cut the cab corner off the truck with the sawzall with a new metal blade. i didnt know the cut m both at the same time trick at the time. be carefull and you can cut the outer cab corner and save the inner cab corner its spot welded on in a couple places and a couple rivets on the bottom edge had to be drilled out unless the inner is too far gone you might have to replace it as well. yeah it was a pain to line them up. its a process of finding where the metal is still good on your original cab corners and rocker. getting the new panel the same dimension. i had to do some relief cutting grinding/welding at the door gap to make the new panel fit right also. the new panel is gonna take some modification, depending on where you get them some fit better/thicker than others-jeff

Last edited by jpnh; 10-02-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: didnt look right
Old 10-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #61
jpnh

was contemplating buying new door panels then decided to to cheap out n refinish the old ones the p.o. had them hanging on by a couple screws each and stripped out/snapped off the fastenersit figures. i ordered new fasteners/screws through lmc gotta wait till they come in to putt m back on. {drat{{.i installed the new sweepers too they fit good.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #62
MalibuSSwagon

I used aerosol bedliner on my door panels, they were beat and the plastic was chipped up, now look brand new. I tried the cheap duplicolor vinyl "dye" on them and it gets chipped too easy.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #63
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
I used aerosol bedliner on my door panels, they were beat and the plastic was chipped up, now look brand new. I tried the cheap duplicolor vinyl "dye" on them and it gets chipped too easy.
yeah,i used some paint leftover from another project.im too cheap right now to even order anything.[but i was stuck getting new fasteners/screws] they still look a thousand times better than before as for durability that remains to be seen.Did you get your cab corners on there?hows the truck comin along?-jeff
Old 10-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #64
MalibuSSwagon

It's coming along slowly but surely. Hope to be shooting the cab this weekend
Old 11-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #65
jpnh

just made the deal on the new engine for my truckim psyched its official after much contemplation i decided to go with a lQ4 6.0 from justchevytrucks.com out of Maine these guys have some good deals. its cool they post the truck on youtube so you can hear it run before hand {this is the one i chose}125xxxmiles on it out of an 02' 2500hd comes complete with all the accessories+wiring harness {now to do some homework} these guys also do the mods to the wiring harness that are needed {for a fee} but they do everything to it to put the motor in anything you want.I had to get that too.wasnt sure the best way to go but this is the path i chose ill be checkn out some threads here for ideas for sure. any insight is appreciated. ill post pix as i do the swap-jeff
Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #66
jpnh

{Step 1.}got the engine/modified Harness today,wow justchevytrucks.com is a busy spot they have alot of chevy truck parts in stock. it might have cost a little more than some deals i could have gotten but these guys have the inside line on many innovations when doing this swap.i was able to keep things pretty complete"stand alone pkg" the engine harness came out awesome completely labled+instructions/diagrams their customer service is awesome/gonna come in handy for sure, very cool to deal with check out some of their rigs http://lsx4u.com/they know every little thing. check out the green jeep powering through the mud hole lots of good mud up there in maine probably bout 45 minutes away from me in nh i still need to get the 4l80e trans that im gonna run im gonna collect all the parts ill need over the next few months but im gonna get everything together i can see i need before hand then do the swap gonna deal with dirty dingos for my motor mounts i like their design and i want to get a new/big radiator with the hose inlet on the opposite side probably run a separate trans cooler out front. gonna need to get an electric fuel pump to make the 55 psi needed to run the motor need to figure out the exhaust got truck manifolds on the motor now probably gonna have clearance issues gonna have to figure out power steering lines/adapt some of the guages/sensors no ac for now, but they were shown me a cool set up for the brackets for it. probably have to do something with the drive shaft/relocate the trans crossmember i decided on the 6.0 cause i was tryn to stay stock so id have less problems and still have over 300hp+ 370 ft pnds of torque even the 4.8 stock would be a noticeable improvement in hp/throttle response/gas mileage over the mild 350 350 trans drive train the mechanic helping me {Victor} JDR automotive in raymond nh has a 99 extended cab we used to go get the new motor today it has the 4.8 the thing screws lots of power yet pretty good gas mileage the 4.8 makes 270-300 horse stock and are alot cheaper than the 5.3/6.0 makes me want to put one into an older patinad rig of some sort but for now im gonna tenaciously attack this 84 stepside project {when work allows} im gonna keep the rig running n driving it till i have everything to get it done. might as well not disable it.the trucks running good as is.ill take some pix as i collect up my parts pile-jeff
Old 12-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #67
MalibuSSwagon

Jeff, I don't think you'll be disappointed. My dad has a 2000 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3 and it goes! plus gets 20 mpg, and runs like a bone stock engine should. Quite impressive.

Easiest way to setup the fuel system is to buy an 87 R10 tank and fuel sender for tbi, then get a AC Delco EP381 pump, which is for a high pressure fuel system. The EP381 pump fits right into the TBI sender. Rockauto had the best deal on those parts, even including shipping.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #68
jpnh

a few years back i owned a blue/sand beige metallic 01 gmc sierra 4wd ext cab for a while it had all the options excellent truck {too nice for me} it had the 5.3 it screamed i miss the truck. shoulda kept it.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #69
KevinD85

cool project I was looking at just chevy trucks as well for a motor for my truck.
2012 lexus is350 awd daily driver
KevinD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #70
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD85 View Post
cool project I was looking at just chevy trucks as well for a motor for my truck.
cool/thanx lots of chevy parts over there. saving my cash for the 4l80e 2wd trans from them to complete my drivetrain. what motor did u decide to go with for your swap?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #71
KevinD85

I'm on the fence still. I want a Ls but not sure what to do with the fuel system. I have dual tanks and don't want to spend a fortune on it.
I bought a 454 from those guys for my old 454ss and it held up great.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #72
jpnh

its certainally not cost effective to retrofit the newer drivetrain into the older rig unless your spending someonelses money on it. would be much easier to put a stroker 383 or 454 into the spot thats already set up for it. malibu ss was talkin a couple replies back of the 87 r10 set up for tbi fuel system. did they make a dual tank set up for those trucks? maybe something to look at. i like the challange of it. not many around these parts im gonna keep a list goin to see exactally what it really costs to do this swap im already commited no turning back got the motor here i wanna set mine up like this cat did http://youtu.be/_NbLqZDl5-E he did an excellent job figuring stuff out
Old 01-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #73
KevinD85

I'm gonna see how much I get back from my taxes and see which direction I will go with.
I already have a 700r4 thats in pretty good shape so I think I can focus on the motor side of it. it looks like I have to buy two sending units with the high pressure pump and high pressure switching valve. I've never done any electrical so I'm a little leary of that part.
If I go the Ls route I might need a little advice/help from you being that your pretty close to me haha.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #74
MalibuSSwagon

If you search around the forums here you can find the high pressure tank switching valve recommended to replace the original valve. 16 gallon tank (for shortbeds) is 81 off rockauto. Senders are 60 - 70 each, and the EP381 pump is 64. Glad I only have one tank!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #75
jpnh

no problem plastow isnt far away. IM gonna be plotting against getting this engine into the stepside. im at the point where its gonna take money again to get further no sense pulling the truck apart and having it sit apart/ not easy to move around/ less chance of losing stuff. untill i collect more peices. although i just want to tear into it asap. gonna hold off on the paint now till after the new drivetrain is in. im still gonna do some interior stuff as well.