The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
WadmalawJoe

Quick intake question

I currently have the Edelbrock Preformer intake with no oil filler tube so I have to pour my oil through the valve cover. With the baffles and such I have to pour slowly and it grieves me. I want to change my intake and go with the air gap intake anyway so..... Is there any reason I can't get a intake with the oil filler tube and switch to pouring my oil in that way? I have a 72 350 motor. It's a option that varies by type of intake not by the type of motor is isn't it? I haven't looked to see if they make a air gap with the filler tube option yet, but that will be an option I will be looking for. I have only installed one intake and that was 15-20 years ago. So sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Quick intake question

Don't think you can get an air gap with an oil hole, I don't even think there is room for one. Go with the air gap and a set of valve covers that have a place to put the oil in.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I've never owned a vehicle with a fill tube in the front. Always in the valve cover. Not sure how slow the oil goes in for you, but it seems like a moot point to change an intake just to pour oil faster. Maybe that's just me...

But if you are looking for justification to buy an Air-gap. Buy an Air-gap.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
doubleb's69

As far as my research goes they don't make an Air-Gap with the filler. I agree with Lee H ^.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
GRX

Agree with above as well concerning the intakes. Probably your baffle - be patient. And being that the SBC only have a small oil return hole at each end of the head, they don't exactly drain back all that fast anyway. Also ....

Olds v-8 have a nice convenient fill tube on the front timing chain area. Pontiac v-8 have a nice pan separating the lifter valley and intake. Not all is peaches & cream in the Chevy world.

Last edited by GRX; 02-05-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: peaches & cream, baby!
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
Agree with above as well concerning the intakes. Probably your baffle - be patient. And being that the SBC only have a small oil return hole at each end of the head, they don't exactly drain back all that fast anyway. Also ....

Olds v-8 have a nice convenient fill tube on the front timing chain area. Pontiac v-8 have a nice pan separating the lifter valley and intake. Not all is peaches & cream in the Chevy world.
Boy that's an understatement. Everytime I have to do any distributor work on an SBC or BBC comes to mind as well.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
jocko

concur with the comments - you either have to go with a factory manifold made for a somewhat earlier small block or an aftermarket one that fits older small blocks (generally OLDER aftermarket stuff - i.e. why the new air gap doesn't even make it with a front fill tube).

But, have you considered adding one of the long truck valve cover oil fill tubes?? It might buy you a few more seconds of sanity... Bottom line - the time it will take you to change your manifold will not make up for the extra time it currently takes to pour your oil for years and years to come worth of oil changes. So, the simplest approach might be the valve cover fill tube and an attachable + sealable large capacity funnel.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Boy that's an understatement. Everytime I have to do any distributor work on an SBC or BBC comes to mind as well.

Gary
Agreed. Divorcing the front water cross over from the intake on a Pontiac v-8 makes intake swap amazingly simple. No need to mess with coolant, oil, or the distributor.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
WadmalawJoe

Thanks everyone!
Yes, pouring the oil in slowly is not that big a deal.
I guess I was looking for an extra excuse for wanting to change the intake
My truck's performance is just not where it should be and I remember that truck that I changed the intake in 15-20 years ago. It made a huge difference. My truck I'm working on now doesn't start like it should nor does it have the zip that it should. I know its mainly a carb issue, but also the intake is a factor as well since the two must work well together. You would think the set up I have now would be perfect I have the Edelbrock performer intake and a Edelbrock 1406 carb, but something is just not right.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadmalawJoe View Post
Thanks everyone!
My truck's performance is just not where it should be and I remember that truck that I changed the intake in 15-20 years ago. It made a huge difference. My truck I'm working on now doesn't start like it should nor does it have the zip that it should. I know its mainly a carb issue, but also the intake is a factor as well since the two must work well together. You would think the set up I have now would be perfect I have the Edelbrock performer intake and a Edelbrock 1406 carb, but something is just not right.
the way it sounds your timing could be off some but it also could be a combonation of things
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadmalawJoe View Post
Thanks everyone!

Sounds like a tuning issue to me. I have the same carb and a Torquer II on my 327. Starts great and runs really strong.

I don't think there are many performance style intakes around that have the front fill tube. You would have to find something fairly old.

I fill mine through the breather hole in the valve cover, and it seems to work just fine. Some valve covers have an extra oil fill hole in one cover, so if its a real issue for you find a different set of covers.

I wanted an air gap too, but when a buddy offered me a Torquer II for free, I decided that was the way to go.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
burnin oil

Simple solution to your problem is to pop the valve cover off and remove the baffle plate. Shouldn't hurt a thing. Mine never drained slow so I am guessing that yours is full of sludge. Pretty common in older motors. Factory 4 barrel intakes arnt that bad for a stock/RV cammed motor. That said the old fill tube in the intake motors are cast different. When you pop the intake off you can see where the oil keeps going down. Also every early motor I pulled apart had a vent tube assembly at the rear of the block in the lifter valley. Swapping intakes is not a problem though. No front oil tube intakes that are an improvement over the factory cast iron intake are available to my knowledge. Only retro pieces designed around 283/327 motors back in the 50s and 60s. Even the old tri-powers didn't flow all that well in reality. Face it, the front fill tube died when they redesigned the small block back in the early 60's. They sure do have a cool factor though!
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote