The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Maladd

Original Intake on GM Goodwrench

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for any help.

I had planned on rebuilding a 350 for my truck, but have decided to go with the GM Goodwrench 350 (260 hp) engine instead. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can run the intake manifold from the 1970 350 (Engine #3970010; Intake #3965577) on the Goodwrench. Also, would I just be better off getting something like the Edelbrock Performer instead.

Thanks,

Jeff
Maladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: Original Intake on GM Goodwrench

Performer, You can run the other intake, But those Smog/EGR intakes leave some HP/TQ on the table.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
truckster

If it's a question of money, you can use your original intake. Another option would be to look for a used aftermarket intake. I found a pretty decent Weiand for next to nothing.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
THE "10" SILVERADO

I see good used performer intakes on craigslist for around $100 all the time. I got lucky and got one with only 2k miles on it for $100 flat.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Maladd

Thanks guys, engine had sat without a carb on it for a long time anyway, so probably would have had to take the intake to get it cleaned (never knew one could hold so many acorns).

I'll give the performer a shot.

Anyone see too big of a problem running a serpentine setup with newer style accessories with the old style equipment.

So far I've already modified my wiring and am running an internally regulated alternator.

I have also put in an HEI so already have a 12v for that.

I've read that the new power steering pump isn't that big of an issue with some hoses made and have an old pump to get the fitting off of.

I haven't really found too much on running the newer compressors with the old A/C system. I'm guessing I'll need to convert for new style freon at a minimum. If anyone has a good write up on doing this saved I'd love to get a link to it.

Thanks everyone,
Jeff
Maladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Lee H

Jeff, the swap is easy and a true bolt on. Lots of us have done it and there are a number of write ups on the board. The key is to use the right components. Just pick a year and vehicle, say 1995 K1500, and use that for all serpentine related equipment like the water pump, power steering pump, alternator, idlers, belt, ect. That way all the components fit correctly and turn the right direction. Also, car craft did a swap you could follow, just google it. Lee
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote