The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
76er

Need Opinions

Wanting to go pretty much old school, simple, as i have no welding skills or fab skills. Thought about using the original type front attach motor mounts to bolt in my 350 (all stock) in my 56 TF and then just us aftermarket trans crossmember to bolt in turbo 350 trans at rear. There would no mounting points between front engine and trans mounts at rear of trans. Would that work ok or is it possible i would have flex at the point where engine and trans bolt together and possibly crack trans housing? All opinions and suggestions welcome. Send pics if need be.
76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Need Opinions

Guys still do it but it does tend to cause a bit of flexing there and it might cause the front pump seal to leak.

There are bolt on side mount kits including the tube crossmember setup that take front mounts. You would just bolt the side pieces to the frame and when you had the crossmember set right drill holes through the tubes in each side and run a bolt through both tubes to hold it in place rather than welding the tubes. Quick, simple and no welding.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Speedbumpauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76er View Post
. Thought about using the original type front attach motor mounts to bolt in my 350 (all stock) in my 56 TF and then just us aftermarket trans crossmember to bolt in turbo 350 trans at rear. There would no mounting points between front engine and trans mounts at rear of trans.
DON'T DO IT! Necessity is the mother of fabrication skills. Use 48's advice or similar.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
1project2many

That arrangement puts quite a bit of tension on the trans bellhousing. As mentioned, it could lead to leaks. Look at the bracing used on 4X4 models to support the trans / engine attaching area. Something similar would help considerably. Of course, you'd need to have a transmission that has a wide pad and large bolt holes at the flywheel cover, and those are found on a 4X4 model. If you did get a 4X4 version of the THM350 you could build a mount to attach the bellhousing to the factory crossmember and you wouldn't need the braces. But then you'd have to disassemble the trans to build a 2wd version. None of this sounds like a great solution for you.

Quote:
There are bolt on side mount kits including the tube crossmember setup that take front mounts. You would just bolt the side pieces to the frame and when you had the crossmember set right drill holes through the tubes in each side and run a bolt through both tubes to hold it in place rather than welding the tubes. Quick, simple and no welding.
Sounds like just the right answer imo.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
76er

Agreed!! Thanks
76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
_Ogre

i think you knew the answer before you asked

the po of my truck did the same thing, front motor mounts and rear trans mount.
the motor would rock and roll under the hood, enough to where the exhaust doughnuts would fail weekly.
learn to fab and weld is all i can suggest

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
MidLifer

Not to take this off-topic but learning to weld was much easier than I thought. We are lucky to live an hour away from Eastwood, where they gave my son and me a 30 minute introduction to MIG and I was able to buy their 110V MIG box for $280. Then we went home, took out scrap metal and practiced. My welds don't look the best but they work. Next I want to get someone to teach me the basics of torch welding.

I bet your local welding supply would have a guy that could teach you if you bought your welder from them, otherwise find a guy on your local CL that if offering welding services and see if he'll come by and give you a few hours of his time to teach you.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
OrrieG

I drove my truck as a daily driver from 85 - 2000 with front motor mount and rear trans/transfer mount. Lots of off road, no problems. Key is to keep the motor from rotating and stressing the bellhousing (auto trans).
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote