The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #351
renegade6

Re: Lurker OrrieG Progress Pics

I used a brake pull lever from a 1st series. It was only $3 or $4.
72 K20 Long bed stepside (wife's)
72 K20 Long bed 396 (flip or keep...?)
The latest build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...76#post8438476
renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #352
hsdropout

Yo, Orrie, your build thread is very inspirational. I've gotten more than a few great ideas from it. Thanks for helping out with some of my dilemnas.
I've been trying to convince my wife to help me scrape paint (DOH!)

I was wondering if you put a clearcoat or anything on your aluminum gas tank. ?
I was getting ready to mount mine but thought it might start to get oxidization if not treated with something.

Also, I've been working on the rearend and noticed when I rotated the pinion downwards it began seeping gear oil. I am assuming this means the seal is bad? Or is there some kind of vent I don't know about? Thanks again.
hsdropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #353
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

What cable did you use from the pedal to the cross bar?
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #354
OrrieG

I used the 74 cable assembly thru the floor board, thru the frame and along the frame rail. I used the stock 59 cable from the cross bar forward. I had to relocate the pivot wheel back on the frame so the cable missed the under floor brake booster and mc. One of the cables had an adjustable clevis on it, I wrapped the other around the clevis pin and secured it with wire cable "clamps" (the double hole kind you smash with a hammer). I also kept the adjustable clevis at the cross bar.

I did not clear the tank, I will just let it patina and keep it hosed down. I was worried that over time the clear would start to flake or peal and look worse than the patina.

Not much done this week end, finished up the drive lines, decided since one strap was stripped the rest should be replaced. Installed the inside ventilation vents and converted them to simple wire pull with a finger loop. Cleaned up the shop looking for my replacement door hinge pins, no luck but work bench is clean. And traded a Nova bellhousing for a standard one for my 64 Chevelle. Also did a quick once over of all the attachment I have done so far. For some reason I had forgotten to put on the bottom rubber and nuts on the motor mounts (running stock 59 front mounts) which I completed, and figured I'd better check for more brain farts. Also got the muffler hangers done.

Last edited by OrrieG; 11-14-2010 at 07:28 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #355
bartsim

Thanks for the info on the core support on my 57. I enjoyed looking at your build. Looks like you have been where I'm going. It looks great. Cant wait to see more. How long have you been at it now?
bartsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #356
OrrieG

The first post of the thread gives the basic story. I started in spring 97, worked through the year taking it apart, intent on finishing it in 98. Got sidetracked with work and major house remodel projects until around 06. Wife promised no more major construction so I focused on the truck until 08 when economy killed my business and cashflow. Since then its been working on labor intensive stuff like body work.

Last edited by OrrieG; 11-20-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #357
BBEEP

Wink Re: Lurker OrrieG Progress Pics

Lookin good
61 Impala Wagon SOLD BARRETT JACKSON SCOTTSDALE 1-18-13
67 c/10 SOLD 2012
71 SS454
77 c/20 Sold 11-11-15
08 TBSS The Wife's car!!
50 GMC School Bus SOLD 11-7-10
29 F**D Delivery (Chevy powered) SOLD 11-4-11

53 GMC 630 Firetruck/Ramp Truck
BBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 AM   #358
Woodbutcher

Who makes the ebrake assembly, Orrie? Looks like a stocker out of a 70's vintage Chev.

Keep your stick on the ice, Woodbutcher
Woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #359
OrrieG

It is a 74 truck part using the 74 cable back to the stock 59 pivot pulley. I found that the firewall stud spacing is the same as the 59 hood spring bracket bolts. Cut off the studs, drill out the bracket, use longer bolts on the hinge brackets and bolt it in. Cable requires a hole in the floor like the 74 but works with a stock hole in the frame. Only down side I see so far is you have to loosen the brake bracket bolts inside to loosen the hinge bolts for hood adjustment. Once the hood is tightened down than retighten the bracket. I will take some more photos and post them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by OrrieG; 11-23-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #360
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

I like all the creativity you've put into this truck, keep at it!
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #361
OrrieG

Car fairies sprinkled some dust on me today and I scored a vintage set of M/T finned valve covers. Been searching for some time but all seem to be over priced or have cracks and bad repair jobs. These need old forest green paint removed (to match the car it was on he told me) but are solid. I am going to try and sneak out in the garage this week end and clean them up. Photos coming.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #362
bajabob

Orrie
We need pics.... I am considering something similar and I am curious how yours turn out.... The edlebrock units as well as the corvette ones are currently under consideration....

maybe something like this ?? not the carb mess but love the valve covers !!!!
Attached Images

bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #363
OrrieG

Bob, I really wanted to get a set of 60's Corvette ones, but the prices are more than I want to pay for now. Here are two shots, one as I got them, second after stripping. Tomorrow hope to dig out the blaster to finish. Color was dark metallic green. They had been painted yellow before that. Still deciding if I will run them bare or partial paint.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 12-18-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #364
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabob View Post
Orrie
We need pics.... I am considering something similar and I am curious how yours turn out.... The edlebrock units as well as the corvette ones are currently under consideration....

maybe something like this ?? not the carb mess but love the valve covers !!!!
I like the look of both of those valve covers. What exhaust manifolds are those shown in the photo? They look great also.

56hotrodred
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #365
BBEEP

Missed you when you came through?
BBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #366
OrrieG

I have actually been over there twice but all of the projects at the house turned into much more work than anticipated. All were "have to get them done"; plumbing, exterior rotted wall studs; etc. We were working 8-8, eating and falling into bed exhausted. Maybe next time, we are past the surprise stage now.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #367
OrrieG

Mother nature intervened with rain all day so outdoor sand blasting was out of the picture. Took the time to clean the shop, finish the wood stove install and some minor stuff including hinge pin install and trimming the floor pan insert around the shift levers. The orange saw shop sign was from my great grandfathers Con's shop. I found it in my Dad's stuff, I don't remember it as a kid so it is one more thing he had hidden away. Spent a couple of hours yesterday at parts places chasing small parts. The NAPA guy told me I spend so much time there I may as well have a company catalog and gave me one!
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 02-20-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #368
bajabob

Orrie
Know what you mean about prices. My son and I saw several sets of the corvette valve covers at Pomona recently and you would think they were lined with gold !!!! I am a ways away from needing them but I have been on the look out for something similar. Those Micky Thompson units are sweet.

A long time ago, a friend had given me a set of offenhauser aluminum valve covers that would work on this truck. Problem is I think they ended up in a yard sale years ago...... dang it !!!!!!!!

56hotrod
I am not sure what exhuast manifold that is... They were on a hotrod at the John Force Car Show in Yorba Linda recently.. Sorry not much help, but I do like them. I have the standard chevy ram horn exhuast that I am going to try and use for my project.
bb
Old 12-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #369
bajabob

Dig the ol skool, heater and sign. I have a couple of my grandfathers tools (an old valve grinding kit and a ring compressor) that I keep stashed away. I will break them out someday to show the kids how they used to do it. Nice work on the hinges....
Old 12-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #370
OrrieG

Found the manifolds. I suspected and was right that they are Fentons. There is a set on Ebay right now $400. I have a lot of my grandfather and great grandfathers wood working tools my dad gave me when he saw I would use them. We have not gotten into the main tool stash yet but I suspect there will be a bunch of tools for working on old Chevys, I remember them from when I was a kid and no one in our family gets rid of tools.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FENTO...item3cb37f9f9f

Last edited by OrrieG; 12-20-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #371
bajabob

Only 4 bills !!!!!!! I checked out that site, way cool... I can dream !!!!
thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #372
OrrieG

Long weekend with lots of thinking and not much physical progress. Did get some misc. parts ordered from Vintage Air so I can get the a/c underdash done. Did a lot of online research on seals and other misc parts. Got the wiper arms done. Did a mock up for under dash gauge and a/c diffuser cluster then decided I did not like it. Going to upholster the VA one and go old school chrome triple bezel for water, trans temp and oil pressure. Reviewed wiring install instructions and Alan Horvaths site.

Made up templates of the cab inside back to figure out what I want. Here is a sketch of what I'm aiming for. Truck will be used so need place for 6x9 speakers on the sides, 12" woofer to give my wife some ammo to remind me I'm half-deaf, and lots of misc. storage compartments. Also going with folding rod, gun, plan, etc. racks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf cab back 2.pdf (74.2 KB, 243 views)
Old 12-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #373
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Long weekend with lots of thinking and not much physical progress. Did get some misc. parts ordered from Vintage Air so I can get the a/c underdash done. Did a lot of online research on seals and other misc parts. Got the wiper arms done. Did a mock up for under dash gauge and a/c diffuser cluster then decided I did not like it. Going to upholster the VA one and go old school chrome triple bezel for water, trans temp and oil pressure. Reviewed wiring install instructions and Alan Horvaths site.

Made up templates of the cab inside back to figure out what I want. Here is a sketch of what I'm aiming for. Truck will be used so need place for 6x9 speakers on the sides, 12" woofer to give my wife some ammo to remind me I'm half-deaf, and lots of misc. storage compartments. Also going with folding rod, gun, plan, etc. racks.
Good ideas you got there Orrie, I think that the box for the 12" sub is going to be a little bigger than you expect if you want to get the true bass from it. I like the idea of the pockets on the sides for storage. I would also think about moving the 6x9 a little higher and put the pockets lower due to getting the sound closer to you listening level.

Tri5

Last edited by Tri5Nerd; 12-27-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Tri5Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #374
OrrieG

Tri5 that is a good idea, would keep them from getting beat up by stuff down low on the floor and keep the storables more out of sight. Sub may or may not stay. I can always add it later. Thats the feedback I am hoping for by posting it.

Last edited by OrrieG; 12-27-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #375
candyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post

Nice sketch but forget the rod holders and make it for a rifle and shotgun, seeing how our world is so messed up!!!!!!!
candyx is offline   Reply With Quote