The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
ImNoSpaz

RedNeck Air Bag fix

I just have to say this!
I have a Chevy box van that has the airlift spring helper bags installed 20+ years ago.

It's been sitting for the last 4 years, and I had to recently get it back in running order for work 1 day a week. The pass side bag was deflated. I aired it up and watched it deflate to zero in seconds. I got under there and saw that while it was deflated for so long, the upper edges were cracked like a sun baked tire. Soaped it up and it had fizzers half way around the top edge where it rolled in from no air. Ok, what to do on a Sunday 3 weeks ago when I have to load this truck for Tuesday?

I tried to find bicycle tire patches that were oblong with no luck. Then I figured I would use an old soldering iron like I use with broken plastics. I tried that but all it did was rough up the rubber as if it were sanded. Maybe not hot enough.

There sits a tube of shoe goo I use to redneck my work boots. Took the bag off, put just enough air in it to be normal shape again and started spreading this old tube of goo. It's been sitting for a year too and is a bit stiff. After an hour there were bubbles forming in the goo from the air. Slit the bubbles and added more Goo and deflated.

Let it sit overnight and re installed Monday. Tuesday I filled then went to load. Still had full air! 70 mile trip with major freeway dips that can slam your head into the roof. Got home and still good! I ordered a new bag but it's 2 more weeks out.

Shoe Goo
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: RedNeck Air Bag fix

I thought you would of used slime or some other tire sealant.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Brocoli Wad

I’ve never used it like that, but I can tell you that I’ve been using (and misusing!) GOOP for 35 years and I’ve seldom used a product that exceeded the mfr claims like this one.

I don’t know how they do it, but this stuff rocks.

Also, any other RTV-like product I’ve ever used turned hard in the tube over time. Once you opened it, you’d better figure on using the rest pretty quickly or just toss it. GOOP doesn’t do that. I’ve had partially used tubes that were useable after three years of sitting in a SW Florida garage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Brocoli Wad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
weq92f

Didn't expect that...

I was thinking partial fill on inside w/ something like fix-a-flat!

Shoe Goo!!!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote