The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
fourspeedwagon

Looking for advise on tracking down a truck that is still registered to me?

Odd story but a couple years ago I bought a project and very shortly after that I lost my job- of course I sold the project to stay afloat until I found a new job.

The guy I sold it to lived out of state and sent a flatbed to pick it up and haul it about 60 miles to a guy that would do the body and paint for him. After a while of trying to get updates on the trucks progress he traveled to see in person and discovered that the painter had recently killed himself. The truck was disassembled and some parts were missing. He walked away and didn’t look back.

Fast forward to now—
Last night I was renewing my license on the dol website and it shows that the title was never transferred from my name.
I know it’s a long shot but anyone have any advice as to how I can go about trying to track it down? My assumption is that it would have been either sold or impounded? Any ideas appreciated.
“People are shocked when they find out I’m not a good electrician”
Dad told me “Son, never strike a man in anger- unless you’re certain you can get away with it”
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
weim55

Re: Looking for advise on tracking down a truck that is still registered to me?

As far as tracking down the physical truck I don’t have any real advice other than knocking on doors yourself and trying to find a trail.

The big concern here: there is a truck floating around that is still in your name and what that means the liability is still yours. I sold a vehicle many years back that had the same situation as yours, the person I sold it to never registered or titled it. Vehicle wound up being impounded and stacked up several thousand dollars of storage in impound fees. Guess who they legally came after to get that money(?!). Fortunately, at the time of sale I have the buyer sign a bill of sale as well as have it notarized with a date and my signature. It held up in court to get me out of those impound fees. That was a huge wake up call....... when I sell a vehicle now I make sure the buyer signed off the title right there in front of me and I take a picture of it for future reference if necessary. I also still do the notarized bill of sale. Most buyers really don’t like this, but it’s a sad reality of living in today’s world of everyone trying to get a buck somewhere.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
GMC72BB

Sold my share , if I ever have question that the buyer might not register, or is flipping it, I go to the DMV, and report it as sold, at least that way it’s in system you sold it, to lower liability issues as mentioned ,
GMC72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
clay68c10

I second the door knocking idea. Any idea where the shop was/is?
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:29 PM   #5
fourspeedwagon

Thanks- I’ve since learned to make sure it’s out of my name.

Unfortunately as for just where it was I only know within about a 30 mile radius. Way too many door to knock on and I also believe the shop is gone- a one man outfit that no longer has it’s man..

I’ll probably try the State Patrol tomorrow and then I’ll see if there’s a c10 group or something like that down that way. It’s a pretty well optioned rig and someone will have seen (and hopefully remember) it if it was offered for sale.
I don’t facebook but this seems like a time when that may come in handy.
If by chance someone reading this lives in the Tri Cities (eastern WA) and know of a 67-72 group or anything else helpful please get ahold of me.
“People are shocked when they find out I’m not a good electrician”
Dad told me “Son, never strike a man in anger- unless you’re certain you can get away with it”
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
TwoFiftyShifter

Go to some nearby firehouses and chat with them. Maybe EMTs too?
Old 09-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Wootdog

I would also check the local salvage yards, a gas station or automotive type business that has projects in the parking lot, and a bar or two in the area. I have obtained a lot of info on old cars and trucks that way.
V/R
Kerry
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
rechinca

Go to your local PD and explain. Let them know that you are trying to track down the truck to remove it from your name. Most will run the reg and help you track down anyone if there was any type of paperwork submitted that is hidden in the DMV paperwork. Conversely, if you are just trying to remove it from your name, contact the DMV and let them know you sold it and approx date, see if they can help you file a Release of Liability. At least in Cali, we can file that on line, even right from your phone. Any time I sell a vehicle, whether the buyer says they will do it or not, I complete the paperwork before they drive away.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechinca View Post
Go to your local PD and explain. Let them know that you are trying to track down the truck to remove it from your name. Most will run the reg and help you track down anyone if there was any type of paperwork submitted that is hidden in the DMV paperwork. Conversely, if you are just trying to remove it from your name, contact the DMV and let them know you sold it and approx date, see if they can help you file a Release of Liability. At least in Cali, we can file that on line, even right from your phone. Any time I sell a vehicle, whether the buyer says they will do it or not, I complete the paperwork before they drive away.
I sold a car the day before I joined the Navy, and neglected to send in the form, figuring that the used car dealer I sold it to would sell it soon. He left it in my name and his kid wrecked it, head-on into some people. I was paying an attorney for awhile...more than I got for the car. OP, send that form in, tout-suite!

I don't think that it matters who has it, now. Just get out from under that liability!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
jimijam00

get someone at they dmv to do a vin search, then slide them $20 if they slip you the address where it's currently registered (if it is) on a sticky note.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote