The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Nick_R_23

1949 Chevy 3100 is coming home!

So while I’m in the midst of three other builds, already limited on time and money, what’s a guy supposed to do except to bring another one home?

I came across this 1949 Chevy 3100 shortbed on Facebook a while back. The seller claimed he’s been offered $5500 for it before, and I’ve watched the price steadily drop from $3500 down to $1000. I figured for a grand, it should be worth a look. It turned out to be in good shape in some places, others not so much. There is rust, but it’s in weirder places than I’m used to seeing these trucks rust at. The worst part is that BOTH sides of the cab are creased from stuck doors, and I almost walked away because of that. The seller asked what I would pay, and I said I wouldn’t go over $500...and he came back with...SOLD! So, I guess I own it now!

At first I thought this was an actual ex-USAF truck, but I later noticed that the door has wing window brackets, meaning it’s not original to the truck. Still a pretty neat piece though! It appears mostly unmolested aside from the front and rear bumpers, although the engine is missing nearly every external part. It looks like it’s been in the mud at some point, and I’m afraid it’s probably not worth saving. Transmission sort-of shifts, so that may be savable. Rear axle feels okay aside from both of the RH side brakes being stuck.

I have no clue what I’m going to do with it, and it will likely be a further off project, but I have one again! I’m pretty tempted to do an interesting engine swap, something that’s not typically done. Anyway, I know you all want pictures!

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: 1949 Chevy 3100 is coming home!

with that rack on the right side, it looks like it may have been a plumber's truck. looks like a few missing parts, but some of us have started with worse. and if its not your first rodeo, it might come out nice. good luck.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
with that rack on the right side, it looks like it may have been a plumber's truck. looks like a few missing parts, but some of us have started with worse. and if its not your first rodeo, it might come out nice. good luck.
That’s a good point, especially considering the bumpers are made from pipes. I was thinking ladder or lumber rack, but that makes a bit more sense.

She’s also loaded up and home! We used the Dodge to drag it up the trailer with a tow strap, it fought pretty hard at first, but felt like at least one of the RH side wheels broke loose partway up the ramps.

The seller is also a professional photographer, and shared this awesome picture that was taken when he purchased the truck. Pretty neat!

Old 06-07-2020, 01:11 AM   #4
joedoh

great truck to start with!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
Nick_R_23

Thank you!

I spent last night getting the two passenger wheels unstuck so that the truck will roll. A torch and a 5lb hammer didn’t want to budge them, so I turned to the old school way I’ve found works really well for getting brakes unstuck - drill a few holes in the drum to access the adjuster, and a few to knock the sides of the shoes with a punch. Takes them right off!

Shoe adjuster can be seen here

Drum is off! It appears that the truck received a brake job not too long before it was parked.

Also snapped a picture of the interior.

And the gauge - 18,018 miles! I wonder if that’s original, or if the odometer has rolled over once?