The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #1
REDROCKER652002

Temp Gauge

Thanks to all who helped me out with the gas gauge issue. We have seem to run into another issue, this time with the temp gauge. I am going to try my best to post some numbers and ohm readings that I did. My initial reaction is it is the gauge, but looking for any help.

Ok, here goes:

Original gauge into a new American Auto Wire stock plug. All wires and grounds seem to be working. Bench test of the dash first. New Circuit board as well.

OK, so I lay the dash on it's face on my work bench with the posts from the Temp gauge facing up.

Ohm Meter set on 200 and I proceed. Put the tester leads on the left and right posts. Positive on the left, Negative on the right. 50ohms. Switch the tester probes, still 50ohms.

Positive on the left negative on the top post 115ohms

Positive on the right Negative on the top post 60ohms

Ok, now I plug the dash into the harness. 132ohms when I touch the green wire in the clip and ground out the tester

I put the hot lead on the left post of the gauge and ground the tester 111ohms

I put the hot lead on the right post of the gauge and ground the tester 64ohms

I then touch both left and right while the harness is plugged in and I get about 46ohms

All testing of the dash in the truck were done with the truck running.

The needle on the gauge has not moved, hence why I am leaning towards the gauge.

Also, I bought a new sending unit before I did all this as the one that was in there was pretty badly rusted and chewed up. Thought I would start there an move up.

Thanks to all who took the time to read all of this, and any input would be most appreciated. This is the last part of the dash that I need to get working so my son can go back to the original dash setup that he would like to have for now.

thanks again.

RR
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote