The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2019, 02:45 AM   #1
Dually Dude

12 Bolt Posi with 3:73 Gears

I have a 12 bolt housing with no axles. 3:73 gear with Posi.

The perches have been cut off poorly but is repairable if needed.

No brake assembly.

The question is relating to the carrier and gears. The ring and pinion look fine, no chips, teeth aren't sharp, normal wear pattern, backlash "feels" good. Side and spider gears have normal wear but are in nice condition.

Bearings, clutches etc - unknown as I didn't disassemble it. If I were buying it, I would change bearings, clutches etc. as a matter of maintenance. However it could be run as is.

It has a bit of surface rust here and there on the carrier but would definitely clean up.

I wanted to get an idea what you think the value would be.

Thanks.
Dually Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
jjzepplin

Re: 12 Bolt Posi with 3:73 Gears

I would think if it had the brakes drums and most important brackets it would be worth something depending on what it would just bolt into.There are "car" 12 bolts and "truck" 12 bolts so be sure what you are getting. I would think in the unknown condition about $150-$200 also depending on your need and availability in your area. If you want to build a nice rear with Strange axles and upgraded brakes this one is for you. If you want a stock unit then you will spend too much getting this running.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
Dually Dude

Re: 12 Bolt Posi with 3:73 Gears

Thanks for the reply. That's kinda the range I was thinking as well.

I knew there was a difference in between car and truck 12 bolts, however I don't remember now what those differences were. As I recall spline count and slight differences in dimensions of the components. However, they are the same "design".

MANY years ago I used to run 12 bolt with a posi in a race car. So I have had an intimate relationship with the car 12 bolts. I spent many hours with one of those spread out on the fender of my open trailer changing the spiders and clutches. It was a great day when I could afford my first spool and axles setup.

Yes, if it were me I would pull it apart, clean it up and replace bearings and clutches etc. That being said it may not be the best money spent in the long run. However, for a guy on a budget it would be a decent starter piece that would likely last many years.

Thanks again & Happy Trails.

C
Dually Dude is offline   Reply With Quote