The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
68 C-10 Panel

68 Panel Floor Pan replacement ?

Hey guys, I am trying to wrap my head around the differences in the panel truck floor pan vs the pickup. I am looking to order one from GMC Pauls, its a Key parts pan I believe, but now that I'm looking at it I'm not sure its the right one. I looked into some threads on here and see that mine is flat all the way to the back... the truck seems to have a rise on the last couple of inches.

Is there a panel correct floor pan I should be looking for?

Any help would be appreciated... Oh and of course I'll get some pics in here.

Thanks!

"When a man is old enough to figure out his dad was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong" Charles Wadsworth
68 C-10 Panel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
68 C-10 Panel

Re: 68 Panel Floor Pan replacement ?

Here is what I'm talking about....
Attached Images

"When a man is old enough to figure out his dad was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong" Charles Wadsworth
Old 08-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I am just piecing my front floor pan back with cuts from an original truck floor that was in great shape. I am pretty sure you are going to have to modify either one you get. The very rear of the one you are showing is the step up in a truck where the gas tank sits. They also just came out with the floor section for the Blazer as well which might be easier to adapt for the panel. The other question to ask is what seats are you planning to run? The Blazer floor should be set up for sport buckets where as the pickup floor is probably set up for a bench. I would recommend emailing Paul at GMC Pauls, and asking him about the differences in the floors and what he would suggest since he has panels as well. Another good source of info would probably be Wes at Classic Heartbeat since he is in middle of a 67 panel build as well. Both are board vendors here.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
Bigdav160

I've never owned a panel but that floor looks a lot like my Jimmy. Do they make a Blazer/Jimmy floor?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
richard2717

I know they make it in the high hump but have not seen a low hump one. Depending on what motor/trans setup the op is running, they might consider the high hump anyway for better transmission clearance

GMC Pauls has it listed here (very last item)

https://gmcpauls.com/Body&Bumpers.htm

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
68 C-10 Panel

The high hump is not a deal breaker for me. I plan on running a straight six with a 700r4. So I didnt figure clearance was going to be an issue. I can probably cut the hump out of this pan and bolt it on.

As far a s the seats go it has a weird mini bench seat on the drivers side and an "optional" seat that is the same on the passenger side. I plan on running the stock seats until I do something like some Caddy seats, so it will probably be a custom install. At this point seat mounts seem to be the least of my worries....

I will email Wes, and see what he thinks. I already emailed GMC pauls asking for the pan and rockers explaining that it was for a Panel, they sent me a shipping quote and that was it.

Man am I glad I asked before I ordered this thing.

Thanks again guys.
Damn Panel, why do I love this thing

Old 08-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
richard2717

Sounds like you have the factory Utility buckets. They are comfy but there are no "store bought" covers for them. You would have to get a local shop to cover them if they need it.
Panels are cool that's why. lol
Old 08-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
68 C-10 Panel

Well, I got a hold of Wes. He was super fast on the return email! We'll see what we can figure out.

I would say you guys are spot on with the Blazer pan. Here is the pan out and upside down. It looks darn close to the blazer one. The P/U one is definitely different.

I have a guy nearby who stocks some of the Key Parts stamping floors, I will see if he has a blazer one. If not I will have to order it. If I have to I might be able to cut the back section off this one and weld them together to get the correct install. I'm trying not to be picky, but I just am.

Thanks again guys. And I really have to say how awesome this forum is, from the dude who taught me how to adjust the 3OTT to get reverse back the day I bought it.(who puts a truck in reverse on a test drive anyway) To this latest save. I can't express how much I appreciate this place!
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2019, 05:44 AM   #9
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C-10 Panel View Post
I already emailed GMC pauls asking for the pan and rockers explaining that it was for a Panel, they sent me a shipping quote and that was it.
Saw this post and checked our sent folder to see what was going on and you emailed us asking us for a freight quote for your panel truck on a low hump cab floor and a pair of rocker panels. Sky then responded with the freight quote requested as no other questions were asked nor comments made regarding anything else. So she only responded with the requested freight quote.
Neither floor is a direct replacement for the panel truck and both would require modification to work and the current Blazer / Jimmy floor is only available in a high hump. So she only responded with what you asked a freight quote. If you had asked about the Blazer / Jimmy high hump floor she would have explained the differences in floors and then left the decision to you on which you wanted to modify.
Paul Jr. @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
68 C-10 Panel

Hi Paul,

I made an effort to be honest and accurate in my post. I did not know when I emailed if I was to address the question to you or just pose it in general.

I made a point of mentioning it was a Panel because it seems to be a point of contention whenever I try to get parts for this thing. I appreciated your quick quote response, and thought perhaps you guys would have some insight like I found here.

No harm, no foul. I appreciate everyone's help and know that in the end its on me to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks again all, I will be sure to post some pics once I start the install.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
68 C-10 Panel

Well guys I'm back at it.

Here is a pic of the elusive Blazer/Jimmy floor pan in a low hump.

I was comparing the Panel pan to this one and the differences are minor. Mostly it's the rear passenger seat area that is different, and the lip in the back faces up not down. The measurements are the same, so I don't think I'm going to cut anything before I put it in.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
richard2717

Where did you end up getting the low hump version?
Old 08-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
68 C-10 Panel

Well, I wasn't happy with the options presented to me so I looked harder.
I was lucky to meet a somewhat local guy here who does some restos and has a big pile of parts on hand. He spent some time with me and listened to what I was trying to do. He did some digging and came up with this thing! From what he says there aren't many out there. Perhaps this was the last one of the lot.

His name is Marty, and he's here in Michigan. I asked if I could post his info and he agreed. I will go and dig up his cell.