The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
FLYNAVY30

Why aren't classic Suburbans "popular"??

I just want to caveat this discussion with the statement that I love the fact that the 67-72 Suburbans are relatively rare and unpopular. This is more a discussion of why some other options are so popular.

I am a big vintage SUV fan. I love all of them. That being said, I cant figure out why Toyota FJ 40/60/62s, Ford Broncos, Land Rover Defenders are so popular, as evidence by their absurd price tags, while the Suburbans and even the Blazers of the same vintage continue to go unappreciated by most.

Especially given the increased popularity of the Overlanding and Van-Life scene as of late, the Suburban is much bigger and roomier than any of the afore mentioned vintage SUVs. I'm 6'6, 210 lbs, and I sleep quite comfortably in the back of my Suburban on camping trips with my wife and our 90 lbs German Shepherd.....good luck doing that in the Bronco you paid $40K for!!!

Additionally, given the architectural similarities between the Suburban and the ever popular C10, the availability of aftermarket parts for LS swaps, overdrive transmissions, air conditioning, and all sorts of creature comforts really makes the Suburban the best option if you're looking for a vintage SUV to modernize and take on adventures.

Anyway, I'm just looking to start a discussion with this thread. I love my Suburban, I just think its odd that more people aren't into them!
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Why aren't classic Suburbans "popular"??

Maybe it comes down to real estate. You can have a Jeep and a Bronco in the space one Burban takes up.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I have to disagree a little about the blazers/jimmys, I think they are quite hot right now. The burbs are catching on, but not there yet. I can't tell you how many people show interest in this one or ask if its for sale when I have it out. Just a matter of time when joe blow can't afford a decent K-5 and a burb will be the next best thing.
Attached Images

70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
FLYNAVY30

I agree that the Blazers are more popular than the Suburbans, but they're no where close to the Broncos or the FJ40s. If I had unlimited funds (and space), I'd be buying up ever K5 Blazer I could find right now. They're the last vintage 4x4 that hasn't gone full retard on the price....yet. Putting an LS motor in and FJ, or a Coyote in a Bronco is a major under taking....bolting an LS into a Blazer or Suburban is almost easy.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Just go to ebay and look up the asking price on jimmys and blazers there. Nothing to see 30k plus...
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I’m sure not seeing any even kind of decent deals on Blazers and Jimmy’s. The vehicles you mentioned are all smaller than a Blazer and tiny compared to a Burb. The Blazer and Burbs time are coming though. Be thankful you got that cool Burb when you did!

I think you have a cool older Vette, when I was a kid those were easily affordable, not today. I had very nice 69 Charger before there were duke boys. Cool and cheap ... A junky hulk now is ridiculously priced. Maybe someday your Burb will be part of your retirement portfolio = )

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
WyattTX

It's like that with square bodies too. I know one custom shop that has gutted clean Suburbans to put thier parts on pickups that are in terrible condition. It's kind of sad, really. I love Suburbans, but most people in my area see an old burb as either a ghetto cruiser or a parts donor for a pickup. To most people, Suburbans just aren't "cool" and "iconic" like the pickups, and Blazers are. I myself would take nice 4x4 burb over a Blazer/Jimmy any day. However I also prefer lwb over swb on pickups, so my opinion definitely represents a minority.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
BAD1916

I grew up in a 70 suburban so maybe I’m a bit biased when it comes to them. I think part of it is that you just don’t see them around as much so they aren’t on peoples minds as much. My 71 is ratty as all hell but every time I drive it people are asking questions about it and giving thumbs up. As far as long bed vs short bed I’m with you. Never quite understood the point of a truck that couldn’t hold a sheet of plywood proper with the tailgate closed.
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
68Gold/white

It may be mostly due to the scarcity of 67-72 suburbans, to start with. I think they are awesome!!!
Only down side I see is body parts and when one is rebuilt or restored, how is it used.
I'm sure none of these old Suburbans had rear AC? anyone???

I have 2 C-10's, one 67, one 68, both LWB's, NEITHER will get shortened or lowered...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
It may be mostly due to the scarcity of 67-72 suburbans, to start with. I think they are awesome!!!
Only down side I see is body parts and when one is rebuilt or restored, how is it used.
I'm sure none of these old Suburbans had rear AC? anyone???

I have 2 C-10's, one 67, one 68, both LWB's, NEITHER will get shortened or lowered...
Ive had two drivers ... both with rear AC. I actually finally (hopefully) just got rid of my last Burb. I had accumulated pretty much everything to install 72 style factory rear air in it. Ill hang on to it and possibly use it for my panel. Doubtful but every time I sell something I think I wont use ... I need it. And the price of said parts triple lol.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #11
mrtoni

A lot of kids remark that suburbans look like station wagons
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
FLYNAVY30

My '72 has a/c, although at the moment it doesn't work. Still need to figure out how to integrate it with the Vintage A/C front unit.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #13
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD1916 View Post
I grew up in a 70 suburban so maybe I’m a bit biased when it comes to them. I think part of it is that you just don’t see them around as much so they aren’t on peoples minds as much. My 71 is ratty as all hell but every time I drive it people are asking questions about it and giving thumbs up. As far as long bed vs short bed I’m with you. Never quite understood the point of a truck that couldn’t hold a sheet of plywood proper with the tailgate closed.
I agree with BAD1916...people flock around my '72 Suburban when it's out and about! Some want to tell stories about their Suburban memories and others want to ask questions about the missing door!?! It comes down to personal preferences...and I prefer a versatile vehicle that pretty much does it all...hauls people and materials as well as getting some attention even in "project" condition. Also...rear A/C in mine, but needs work!
Woody

Name:  P1010323.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  29.7 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
FLYNAVY30

I guess I should have stated that more clearly....yes, people also love my Suburban when they see it, I'm just surprised more people dont own them as opposed to some of the other more expensive options.

With regard to the Blazer/Jimmy, I dont put a ton of stock in buy it now prices on eBay, but yes, those have jumped considerably in the past 2-3 years.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #15
Ziegelsteinfaust

Of the vehicles you mentioned they are what I call right sized vehicles. Just big enough for 4 people, but small enough to go a lot more places. Also to some extent all the vehicles were halo vehicles. They were built with the best stuff the factory's had to offer. Not like a Jeep that had weakish axles, and a 4 pot stock. The land cruiser had better axles, and a 6 holer stock. Plus it could take a SBC much easier with out as much worry for the axles. The land rover well people like forbidden fruit, and through british engineering. Most failed to proceed or rusted away long ago. Also land rover made a show of all the places you could take one followed by a team of factory engineers to keep it going. You know british engineering.

What has GM, Ford, or Jeep have done to make you really want the most capable vehicle. I am not talking a bunch of db hipster overly editied garbage. They don't sponsor anything to show how legitimate the vehicles are. Toyota has ISIS. What do right thinking Americans have?

The 67-72 Suburban while my favorite for styling is 5x more popular then square body versions. Both of which carry the stigma of family vehicle.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:56 PM   #16
BAD1916

On the plus side, without the demand it keeps it in the affordable range for the folks that do love them. 😎 Decent projects can still be found that don’t break the bank. Eventually people will see that and things will change(hopefully before I sell mine).
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:35 AM   #17
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Of the vehicles you mentioned they are what I call right sized vehicles. Just big enough for 4 people, but small enough to go a lot more places. Also to some extent all the vehicles were halo vehicles. They were built with the best stuff the factory's had to offer. Not like a Jeep that had weakish axles, and a 4 pot stock. The land cruiser had better axles, and a 6 holer stock. Plus it could take a SBC much easier with out as much worry for the axles. The land rover well people like forbidden fruit, and through british engineering. Most failed to proceed or rusted away long ago. Also land rover made a show of all the places you could take one followed by a team of factory engineers to keep it going. You know british engineering.

What has GM, Ford, or Jeep have done to make you really want the most capable vehicle. I am not talking a bunch of db hipster overly editied garbage. They don't sponsor anything to show how legitimate the vehicles are. Toyota has ISIS. What do right thinking Americans have?

The 67-72 Suburban while my favorite for styling is 5x more popular then square body versions. Both of which carry the stigma of family vehicle.
Since you brought up Jeep, people seem to love Wagoneers and the full size (not the XJ) Cherokees. With the existence of the J Series/Gladiator pickup trucks, they are basically Jeep's equivalent to the Suburban. I could probably buy two 4x4 burbs for the price of one decent Wagoneer. I don't know why they fared so much better than the Suburban in the collector market. If you're into fake woodgrain, GM offered that on trucks too. No need to buy the Jeep for that reason alone.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #18
Bigdav160

I have no idea what the market is on the vehicles you mentioned. I've never had an interest in FJ's or Broncos.

A Suburban has been my vehicle of choice ever since my family outgrew the pickup and Jimmy. I drove them before they were cool.

I think part of the problem is the Suburban looks so much like the pickup which GM made millions of. They are common. The FJ and Bronco were unique in their product lineup.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I think they are very well loved and just as popular when you account for their lower production numbers. All you guys with Suburbans, don't you get people coming up and commenting, even saying "I'd like to find one of those to buy"? I don't think they are hard to sell or get plenty good money for, either. Maybe you are going by the extreme end of pickups that are ridiculously over the top. Or the ones that have had everything but the sheet metal altered or replaced and transformed into a completely different vehicle.
People do way more custom work to the pickups and the prices are based on what was done. This whole popularity in 67-72 GM Trucks comes from monkey see monkey do. I've been into these long enough to have been one of the few who (in relative sense) who were into them wondering why others weren't loving them the same. You were "That 67-72 guy" in your area if you were into them, and we found each other to talk about them and get the lowdown on finding parts, etc.
The monkey see thing is not an insult. It describes how it works. Your neighbor, guy in your town, friend, or other gets one and it makes you consider one. Maybe you already wanted one but weren't sure it was a sensible thing to do. Now that is answered when the guy at the office buys one. Then came the internet and expanded TV programming with shows featuring them, as well as the magazines more and more. Each time one of these shows or magazines featured them, we'd see a noticeable amount of new members joining and asking questions.
There are more pickups than Suburbans and K/5s, so naturally all the factors are decreased with them. You could say the same thing about C/30 cab & chassis trucks and long bed Stepsides and campers. I have watched them increase in popularity, with LWB Stepsides going from "Redheaded Stepchild" to "Those things are just too cool". But the fact is, there are many less to be had and not as many, still, appreciate them. Most truck guys started out as car guys and it's the body lines of the Fleetside that made them even consider going with trucks.
The truck thing in general gained popularity, first, with 4wds. There are not too many 4wd Suburbans to be had. And they are at the heavy bulky end. But anywhere you see a Suburban mixed in with pickups, 2wd or 4wd, you see them very well accepted and loved. The fact is, unless you are an investor, none of this matters. The only thing that matters is you love yours. AND... if you decide to sell you can get damn good money for it if it's nice. At least from my perspective that is true.

The only other factor I'd add is a Suburban is harder to restore. If for no other reason, now that body panels at least are made, there is way more to them and the Suburban-only parts are harder to find.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #20
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD1916 View Post
On the plus side, without the demand it keeps it in the affordable range for the folks that do love them. �� Decent projects can still be found that don’t break the bank. Eventually people will see that and things will change(hopefully before I sell mine).
I say the same thing about lwb pick ups. I've always wanted to buy a swb and make a thread about lengthening it to a lwb, so all the lwb cutters know how i feel when i see them butcher a clean lwb.

All kidding aside, it's your truck do as you please. But please try to appreciate the benefits of the lwb, before you attack with the torch.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #21
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
I guess I should have stated that more clearly....yes, people also love my Suburban when they see it, I'm just surprised more people dont own them as opposed to some of the other more expensive options.

With regard to the Blazer/Jimmy, I dont put a ton of stock in buy it now prices on eBay, but yes, those have jumped considerably in the past 2-3 years.
Don't get me wrong, Greg...I appreciate that you started this discussion as I have also wondered what makes some vehicles the "one" to have and others don't get snatched-up so quickly? When I finally got to a place that I could buy a vehicle that was more than just a "responsible-decision"...a station wagon was my immediate go-to, but my history/memories growing-up with a '71 Suburban over-rode the "coolness-factor" that I personally assigned to the sleek looks of long-roofs! The oversized station wagon feel of the Suburban coupled with the fact that so much is available to put them on the road and keep them there won out. As is normal for me...as soon as I set my sights on something, none that meet my check-list standards are available or they have a much higher price tag than I expected. Ebay buyers were blindly buying the "deals" so quickly that an old-school type like me, who has to personally inspect a vehicle before plunking down cash, could not compete. It took me four years before I found mine...and I was the only one to respond to the owners ad which had already expired! He was asking a lot more than I wanted to pay, but I was able to negotiate a price that was still more than I wanted to pay...but all my boxes were checked and I do not regret my decision. Soon after the purchase, it seemed that the market got flooded with good deals...but it was probably all in my mind as I felt that I had spent too much. Being recently retired, I am moving slowly with big ticket items, but the fun-factor comes from driving it "as is"...and receiving enough "love" at the car shows, parking lots or just cruising down the road. I've actually had people recording with their cell phones from passing vehicles...and of course the "thumbs-up" always brings a smile to my face! So my friend, thank you for starting this thread! The remarks I have read are simple reminders of how this group interacts/connects...and that we are part of a much broader interest group than just Suburbans (but we both know that "Suburbans Rule"!!!).

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #22
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Station wagons ... has anyone priced neat ol classic wagons worth restoring today? The Im not driving the family wagon stigma is gone.

Jeep Wagoneers are also a lot smaller and sportier looking that a ginormous Burb, probably why their prices are up there. I think the burb prices are on the rise. They definitely are harder to come by than a lot of the vehicles mentioned.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #23
FLYNAVY30

Its very interesting you guys bring up old station wagons. I stumbled on my Suburban while I was actually searching for an early 70s Chevelle station wagon!?! I wanted to find a relatively cheap, old school, family hauler to learn on, and prove to myself that I could build a reliable daily driver out of a vintage vehicle. The formula was always the same....solid foundation, under $10K, then gut everything mechanical. 6.0L LS motor, 4L65E trans, new wiring, new brakes, new fuel system and a/c for the wife. I ended up with my '72 C20 for $9,995 back in 2013 and followed through on my build plan. The truck has provided my unending enjoyment and education. Some day, I hope to be able to pull the body off the frame to properly fix the minor rust in the quarters and the floors, and possibly convert it to 4WD.

As much as I'd love to do a Toyota FJ60 with an LS swap, at the end of the day, I'd have a smaller version of the same thing that was less unique. I really couldn't see myself ever getting rid of this truck. I've very much enjoyed hearing everyone else's opinions on the matter!
Old 07-04-2019, 12:07 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Wagoneers bring good money because so few survived compared to Suburbans. Afterall, they aren't Chevys! All the Jeep trucks and Wagoneers, as well as Cherokees, are notorious for rotting out and being Edsels for parts. AM was grabbing parts from all over the place, plus I goubt Chrysler cared about assuring parts were available for the ones they didn't build. That, plus Mopar parts support sucks, or sure used to back when these were made. Most people, including me, loved the unchanged body hanging on so long with the Wagoneer, yet their bad reputation kept them from owning one. They went through low resale value before they became classic, so many were beat on and junked.

I think it all comes down to lower production numbers and less monkey see monkey do factor

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #25
HO455
Post Whore

You really can't compare Wagoneers to our 67-72 Suburans as far as popularity. Wagoneer's were in production for 29 years with the same basic model and design. With many years of production over 20000 units there are far more of them out there today than 67-72's.
Out here in the west I can see a Wagoneer on the road every day but I can go 6 months and never see a 67-72 Burban. When I was shopping for my Suburban I could have bought a Wagoneer any day of the week.
Let's face it Jeep is the face of American off road vehicles and has been since WWII.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote