The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
elks

Diagram for 72 front Dana 44

Guys I am attempting to setup a new ring and pinon on my 72 blazer. The problem is the previous owner did things different than what I have seen, So with that being said I need a little help... I am extremely confused and frustrated now...

I under stand all the theory, but need to get started. When I pulled the old pinon, there were not any shims behind the bearing cup. I was told that typical bearing shim on the larger pinon bearing cup is typically .042. Does this sound right? Or am I getting confused with a different 44 set up?

Secondly, on the old pinon there was a tin piece pressed between the larger pinon bearing and the pinon gear. No shims here either just a tin piece with a little offset for the bearing clearance. I can not find anything that matched this in my new install kit, nor can I find any diagrams. Any idea if this is needed? Is it possible that the PO used this as the shim depth?

Lastly is there a good picture based rebuild for the 44 front here? Or a very good diagram that would show me the pinon and carrier in detail? I just need to get this set up asap.

Thanks all...
Old 04-06-2019, 12:12 AM   #2
jocko

Re: Diagram for 72 front Dana 44

I'm not sure how much help this will be... But, maybe the pics will be of some use.
Yes, there should be shims, not sure how much though (sorry). If you're actually changing out the pinion, look closely at the top of page 6 and the bottom of page 8 - it explains how much to adjust the shim stack. But this may not be of much help if re-using the same pinion (which you probably are).

I believe the tin piece you mentioned between the pinion bearing and the gear is just the oil slinger, and it should be there.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
cbeerman

Re: Diagram for 72 front Dana 44

Yeah sounds like you are describing the oil slinger

Check out

http://www.eriejeeppeople.com/Jeep_t...ar_install.pdf

it shows a cut away of the assembly.
cbeerman is offline   Reply With Quote