The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2017, 11:23 PM   #26
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Real Ice Coral Pink

I lived in the San Fernando Valley part of Los Angeles City for many years. There was a biker guy there who had a pink Harley. If people came into the bar he hung out at, laughing about that pink Harley, they got a beat down.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #27
1971_CST_C10

going to resurrect this thread, I recently purchased a 71 Super Custom with the deluxe option gmc from Cranbrook BC. I got it home and started a frame off on it and yanked out the factory buckets and console and the woodgrain dash and glovebox. she also has full gauges inc Vacuum gauge and tilt etc. I pulled the fenders off and was revealed that the truck wasnt solid white after all as the cowl sidewall was Pink and after cleaning off the layer of black paint on the firewall it was entirely pink as well. I sent off for the GM package from Oshawa and yep on the Official documentation she is a Coral Ice Pink truck with wooden floor and full gauge package and sold new in BC, to Motors Insurance Corporation of BC. We know them today as dropping the Motors from their name...... So this was a company truck that was loaded for ICBC....
unfortunetly GM doesnt have any number history but did say it was ONLY gmc Not chevy promotion. so any Chevys running around as Coral are fakes as it was a GMC Spring Promotional deal for 1971 only Not in 72 at all so they said. It would be great to know how many gmc's were made in Coral ice Pink and how many Longboxes and how many Shortboxes were offered or made...? anyone have those numbers ? I will post pictures once I get them off my phone.
Darren
1970 El Camino SS
1971_CST_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #28
Grumpy old man

I'd drive the wheels off of a coral ice pink truck ! Hell , I might even build one just to have something different . How about a tri power 427 , short bed 67 with a rock crusher and posi ?

Now that would be a sleeper .

Everybody has a red/black/green/white/aqua/blue truck .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I'd drive the wheels off of a coral ice pink truck ! Hell , I might even build one just to have something different . How about a tri power 427 , short bed 67 with a rock crusher and posi ?

Now that would be a sleeper .

Everybody has a red/black/green/white/aqua/blue truck .
I may end up doing my '67 GMC in Palamino Tan, which is more of a flesh tone pink color like a Palamino's as.... I mean lips. You don't see trucks being done in that color and it was a common factory color from the '60s into '67. Maybe leopard skin upholstery

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #30
Grumpy old man

The truck I'm deep into now I've decided to paint 1968 Corvette Safari yellow . The truck yellow has too much of a green tint for me and the Safari yellow has enough yellow base to make the chrome pop .

Just about any color was available back in the "special order days" Special paint on the spid could be any available color

I really like the idea of a Ice coral pink 67 short bed with white trim and lower mouldings .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 09-17-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #31
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971_CST_C10 View Post
going to resurrect this thread, I recently purchased a 71 Super Custom with the deluxe option gmc from Cranbrook BC. I got it home and started a frame off on it and yanked out the factory buckets and console and the woodgrain dash and glovebox. she also has full gauges inc Vacuum gauge and tilt etc. I pulled the fenders off and was revealed that the truck wasnt solid white after all as the cowl sidewall was Pink and after cleaning off the layer of black paint on the firewall it was entirely pink as well. I sent off for the GM package from Oshawa and yep on the Official documentation she is a Coral Ice Pink truck with wooden floor and full gauge package and sold new in BC, to Motors Insurance Corporation of BC. We know them today as dropping the Motors from their name...... So this was a company truck that was loaded for ICBC....
unfortunetly GM doesnt have any number history but did say it was ONLY gmc Not chevy promotion. so any Chevys running around as Coral are fakes as it was a GMC Spring Promotional deal for 1971 only Not in 72 at all so they said. It would be great to know how many gmc's were made in Coral ice Pink and how many Longboxes and how many Shortboxes were offered or made...? anyone have those numbers ? I will post pictures once I get them off my phone.
Darren
Yes you are correct saying the Coral Ice Pink was a 1971 GMC Spring Promotional thing. I find your use of the word " fakes" very harsh and somewhat insulting seeing I had a1972 C10 painted Coral Ice Pink and I never said it was anything but a repainted truck in the 13 years I owned it. Have you ran across anyone saying they have an original 71/72 Chevrolet Pickup painted Coral Ice Pink? Another thing is I have found over the years there are no absolutes with these trucks as board members are always finding anomalys with paint, packages and options from plant to plant and seeing this was a Canadian only promotion and the pink trucks were built in Oshawa where Chevys were built as well it is feasable that someone with the right connections , think COPO 427 Camaros , could have had a 1971 Chevrolet painted Coral Ice Pink as well. I have have never heard of or seen and original pink Chevy but never say never.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #32
1971_CST_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Yes you are correct saying the Coral Ice Pink was a 1971 GMC Spring Promotional thing. I find your use of the word " fakes" very harsh and somewhat insulting seeing I had a1972 C10 painted Coral Ice Pink and I never said it was anything but a repainted truck in the 13 years I owned it. Have you ran across anyone saying they have an original 71/72 Chevrolet Pickup painted Coral Ice Pink? Another thing is I have found over the years there are no absolutes with these trucks as board members are always finding anomalys with paint, packages and options from plant to plant and seeing this was a Canadian only promotion and the pink trucks were built in Oshawa where Chevys were built as well it is feasable that someone with the right connections , think COPO 427 Camaros , could have had a 1971 Chevrolet painted Coral Ice Pink as well. I have have never heard of or seen and original pink Chevy but never say never.
I can not stop you from perceiving the word Fake as being harsh that's your thought and sorry you took it that way. I also never stated in any of my comments in with regards of your truck specifically can you show me where ? I would say your truck is a tribute or a repaint if I had known about it or spoke of it. Anyhow, there is a 72 in Edmonton that the fella swears its original and was part of the spring promotional deal as well. I have also had a 1970 chevelle ss that was a Fake as I cloned it over but fake it was. My 20 years at General Motors I have seen a lot of weird stuff but there is always speculation as thats how rumours start like the LS6 1970 Monte carlo SS but I would say never as 48 years later they would have shown up by now !
1970 El Camino SS
1971_CST_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #33
Leonard60

Gezzer#99 and already gone have mentioned pink trucks out here in my area. I’ve done some asking around and have been told that the lost Bill Riddle truck from rocky mtn house may be located in a junk yard down in the cow lake area. I’m going to check that story out first chance I get. The guy at Rocky D told me he was sure it was a 1971.
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #34
rhoway

I have an original Coral Ice Pink that I an in the possess of restoring, my truck is a 1971 GMC Vin CE134-1121785 Paint option 4001ZB and yes it is an factory Pink truck
Attached Images

rhoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:28 AM   #35
dagnabbitt

I just saw one of these, it was a 2500... which seems a little more unusual, even, than the others in this thread which seem to be all half tons. It suggests that this was truly a special order color and not something that was just forced on the dealerships. I'd love to see a SWB.

I'm kind of interested in these trucks, I gotta be different. Did we ever establish why they were available? Seems like we agree GMC, 1971 only: do we have a source for that? Wondering if any GM promo material exists.

And maybe its just a coincidence, but why is nearly every existing example not just in Canada, but specifically west of Manitoba?
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 06-11-2022 at 01:53 AM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:01 AM   #36
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I may end up doing my '67 GMC in Palamino Tan, which is more of a flesh tone pink color like a Palamino's as.... I mean lips. You don't see trucks being done in that color and it was a common factory color from the '60s into '67. Maybe leopard skin upholstery
Wow! Cougar Mobile.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:51 PM   #37
best view

I need a k20 in this color with cab lights
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:20 PM   #38
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
I need a k20 in this color with cab lights
That would look cool.
What's up with Clearance Lights in the leading edge of the hood, not the cab roof -- that I see on new trucks? I would be afraid of a low hanging structure taking off the upper cab.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:32 PM   #39
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
That would look cool.
What's up with Clearance Lights in the leading edge of the hood, not the cab roof -- that I see on new trucks? I would be afraid of a low hanging structure taking off the upper cab.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:10 PM   #40
factorystock

When I see "SPECIAL PAINT" on spids, every conceivable color is a legitimate.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #41
Chris27
Blazerless

A bit late to the party, but this pink 71 belongs to my wife's uncle. He's owned it at least 10 years. 502 BBC under the hood. Lives near Edmonton Alberta.
Attached Images

Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:29 AM   #42
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
A bit late to the party, but this pink 71 belongs to my wife's uncle. He's owned it at least 10 years. 502 BBC under the hood. Lives near Edmonton Alberta.
Nice looking rig...I'd drive/own it.
Sheepdip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #43
maverickmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
That would look cool.
With a plaid yellow seat But seriously, the pink is really cool, I never knew they existed until today.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:01 PM   #44
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I started this post in 2017 and said ithere were never any Chevys painted pink. Well never say never and seeing this thread pop up today I realized i had info that someone had found one a year or two ago with the spid to back it up. Apparently everyone in the area where the truck was, picture of it in the field, and it had been sitting for years and someone just went and made a deal on it and didnt know it was an original pink/white as someone over the years went to a lot of trouble to cover the pink color. SP0041 Specal Paint Code is the pink/white 2 tone RPO.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:13 PM   #45
jocko

now that's a very cool find Greg, thanks for posting. I'm trying to picture what the reason for the white stripe between the pinks would have been there for in pic #2 (i.e. behind the weatherstrip kinda). Looks original but seems very odd and deliberate, but then again, I may just be seeing things. Are you saying that RPO code specifically means white/coral ice combo or was it a generic code that had the details called out on the purchase order or something like that? For some reason I thought the special paint codes didn't necessarily represent a specific color, rather just the fact that the actual painted color was a non-optional color for the vehicle. But the special paint stuff is a bit of a mystery to me, wish I understood the coding better.

For what it's worth, even though the overpaint blue two tone on this truck wasn't a combo that was available until into the square years - I always wished it was available in 67-72, it's by far my favorite squarebody paint combo.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:02 PM   #46
dagnabbitt

Again: both trucks posted today are not only in Canada, but west of Manitoba.

Just sayin. Must be a reason. These are Oshawa trucks so the build sheets can be searched through GM Heritage, it would tell a lot including what dealership they were sold from. Would be very interesting.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:20 PM   #47
toms68cst

My wife is from NW North Dakota. As a kid she noticed when traveling to Estevan SK that many of the houses were painted wild pastel colors. (Colours Eh?) It must have been a fairly popular color palate in parts of Canada back in the day.

I thought I spied a pink 68 Longhorn one time many years ago. I wish I checked it out more.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:48 AM   #48
best view

When I first joined the group I spent a lot of time with trying to find one pink or the wild purple color but never saw one for sale there were two other special colors also but not sure the colors
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:50 PM   #49
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Tim, Two weeks ago, I drove by this '71, only it was pre-fire and looked very nice from the street. I had seen it many times but never when someone was home until today. I sopke to a hispanic man for 15 minutes about it and thought we understood each other...but we didn't...he turned out to just be working on the owner's yard, who was not home, so I haven't a clue to what happened (electrical maybe?). Anyway...the SPID was lost in the fire...but would this be Palamino Tan? In any case...it was very sad to see, however, I'm sure it can be resurrected!

Woody

Name:  IMG_E3233.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3234.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3235.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3236.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3237.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  55.0 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:31 PM   #50
'68OrangeSunshine

The fuel tank must have been empty.